Author Topic: Village Boys Can Dream - Short Adventure-RPG  (Read 3211 times)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
Village Boys Can Dream - Short Adventure-RPG
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:12:53 AM »
Village Boys Can Dream

A first note:

I'm always looking for ideas for games to start from.  Fatalis was supposed to be my first game, but then it started to get complicated, what with the problem of not being able to find the right tilesets for it, among other things.
Then there was 'Little Town (Working Title)', a mystery-adventure, sort of visual novel game, where the main gameplay attractions were: the high level of interaction with the game world, multiple consequences to many actions, various possible endings, etc..  That one has been put down as well, although it's not hard to make.  Possibly easier than this one, but I want to write the story first.

The advantage with the project I'm about to explain to you in this thread is that its story is quite simple and casual.  It's not complex at all.  The game focuses on exploration.  But I love interacting with the game world and talking to NPC's, so any game I make will probably allow a high level of interaction.
Unlike most stories I've created, this one is very lighthearted.  It's mostly humorous and tends to make fun of a few clichés, although very discreetly.  ;)

Basic information about the project is already available at PF Games, my tiny game project website.  However, that info is outdated.  I'm going to give RMXP a shot, as the game's engine.  I was planning to use OHRRPGCE, which is actually a pretty good 'RPG maker', but I need to train myself in RMXP already.  I'd stay with OHR, but in that case I'd have to make my custom graphics, because it provides none, and although I am capable of doing that, I don't currently have the time, or the motivation.  Music, I would have composed it myself as well, as they would have been MIDI files, and I'm familiar with composition of music in the MIDI format (but in a particular program).  But then again, I don't have the time.  I am hoping to hire someone to compose the few tracks that this game will need, and in a better quality/format than MIDI.  Finally, its battle system will no longer be in turn-based, traditional RPG format.  I'll use an adventure, hack-n-slash format with RPG elements.  The game, like the thread's title suggests, will now be an adventure-RPG.

Basic Info
  • Title: Village Boys Can Dream
  • Genre: Classical style, Adventure RPG
  • Release Date: Winter 2009
  • Platform: PC, Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista (possibly on other systems, not sure...)
  • Engine: RPG Maker XP (RMXP)

Description
  • Introduction: VBCD is a practice game that I'll be making with the purpose of learning the ropes of the OHRRPGCE RMXP and game design, as a warm-up for a more serious project.  It is pretty much an Adventure RPG, or an exploration game with some RPG gameplay.  At least, that is what I hope.  Be aware, though, that this game is not meant to be complex.  It is a practice game.  With the first version, I will only focus on using it as a learning tool, since that has always been the intention.
    The concept and story for this game come from another game idea that I have planned for the future.  I call that future project 'Belief', or 'Believe', and it's the story of another village boy.  VBCD is also inspired by that cliché concept, where the most typical heroes in our favorite and not so favorite role-playing games seem to come from humble origins.  VBCD will be the first installment of a possible future series of mini-RPG's.  And somehow with this series, I intend to understand why this old concept continues to be recycled in so many RPG's even now... and not necessarily in games with little success, or that are total rip-offs of other games.
  • Story: The peasant village of Maerd has nothing to do with the word 'extraordinary'.  But that doesn't mean that extraordinary things can't happen within its limits.
    In this story, you play the role of a typical village boy. You live with your parents in a humble way, and like all the other families in the village, you work hard all the year in order to survive the passing of the icy cold Winter. However, you are also the type of lazy and dreamy boy with no sense of responsibility; and every time your mother calls to you for help, you do your best to avoid her, until she finally gives up on it.
    This time, however, you won't have it your way! Unfortunately, your father has fallen ill, and your mother must stay with him and watch for his health, as well as take care of the house. So this time, you'll be taking care of most of the work. And not only that! You might also end up helping your neighbors in different tasks. As you well know, some of these tasks require that you adventure into the forest. That's no problem at all, you say to yourself. You have been in the forest countless times, although never too far from the village, since you might get lost.
    The problem comes when you realize that the forest you are so familiar with has suddenly revealed its true self to you. And this time... once you are in, it won't be so easy to get out on your own!
    But this is not so bad, after all! Because there in your dreams, you've always wished for the adventure of a lifetime!

Features:
  • An original story with a humorous touch.  This is not a fangame, and although it does adopt concepts from other games, it's supposed to be done carefully and with moderation (or discretion). Don't expect an epic tale, though.
  • A decent level of possible exploration, and of interaction between the player and their surroundings.  Maybe an above-average level, depending on how much I decide to do in the end.  This is where the Adventure genre aspect of this game shines.
  • Sidequests. The player can choose to help their fellow villagers, and in doing so, they might be able to obtain special items to aid them in the main quest, and also discover a little more about the forest's secrets and mysteries. However, the first version of the game will only contain the main quest and maybe a couple sidequests. Further versions will take care of expanding the game.
  • Unless I manage to find someone willing to compose a few tracks for free...  A carefully chosen, unoriginal soundtrack. Music will not be original, simply because I can't compose music at the moment, and it would take me quite some time to learn and come up with some decent music.  So for the moment, an original soundtrack is not in my plans.  Still, I have a taste for music and an ability to identify music for the right moods (or so I want to believe).  Expect a nice choice of quality MIDI or OGG music, or even MP3...  It all depends on what I can get my hands on.
  • A -hopefully- balanced gameplay.  This game is short, and there is only one 'dungeon'.  But I hope to add a good variety of enemies, items and strategy, considering its length.

Characters

I'm going to write small character profiles soon, but it'll take time.  This will be basically for each character in the village, plus the main characters, and a few extra ones that might appear during the boy's adventure in the forest.

Screenshots and other media

You want proof that it's being done?  All I can show you at this time is screenshots of the original tilesets that I was making for the game, when I was developing it with the OHRRPGCE.  So I don't really have much to show you yet.  Just a bunch of ideas I got in my head, and a rough sketch of the village that will serve me as a guide to map the village inside RMXP.  I'll be using the RTP's.  :(
Digital concept artwork is doable, so if you want...  I can draw some.

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
  • Current Mood: tired tired
Re: Village Boys Can Dream - Short Adventure-RPG
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:45:52 PM »
you said you don't mind ideas?  Do you want me to write a specific point or something for you?
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.
They all mean so little when you can't take time to put your soul into the work.

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »
o.0 how about asking Reives if you can use some of his music =X
though, weird title o.0 might try it out, but you've already planned out when to finish certain portions by to have an approximate deadline of winter '09?
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »
I'll look forward to your new game, Arwym.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 02:17:14 PM »
you said you don't mind ideas?  Do you want me to write a specific point or something for you?

o_O  I said that?  I can't remember.  Edit: Ahh...  You mean, when I said this: "I'm always looking for ideas for games to start from".  I see what you mean, but that's not exactly what I was trying to say.  XD  What I meant was that I'm always thinking of ideas for new stories, be them for games, comics, or whatever; and from those, I've been trying to find the one that works best for getting started in game development.  I have lots of ideas in my mind, some of which I write down on whatever piece of paper I got near me as soon as they come to me.  But I'm already going for this one, so don't worry about that.  Thanks, though!

o.0 how about asking Reives if you can use some of his music =X
though, weird title o.0 might try it out, but you've already planned out when to finish certain portions by to have an approximate deadline of winter '09?

Winter '09, because, although it's a short project, I don't have much time for it at this time.  I'm busy.  I have much of it planned out.  Like I said, it's a simple story.  :)

As for music, I don't want to get Reives to do more work than what he's currently doing at this time.  He has his own projects, and I'm not expecting him to help me, anyway.  :)  When I'm ready to dedicate more time to this, though, I'll post a thread about that and hope that someone can help me out.  I'm picky with music, however.

About the title: yes, it's a weird title.  That's the idea.  XD  Or maybe it's just an excuse for my lame project-naming skills.  >.>...

I'll look forward to your new game, Arwym.

Thank you, everybody.  :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:26:35 PM by Arwym Starlight »

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]