Author Topic: Feelings  (Read 37701 times)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
Feelings
« on: February 27, 2009, 02:38:32 PM »
I know I never commented on this project before, but I'll do it now.

I played Do You Remember My Lullaby when it was released.  And this may sound stupid, but I cried.  Reives knows I did.  XD

Did anybody else feel like crying with this story?

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
Re: Feelings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »
It all depends on personal experiences.  You may associate what happens with something about your life.  Memories of your childhood, for example.

It also depends on your current emotional state.

xAvaRenx

• Tier 3
  • Siempre son
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 08:53:41 PM »
I cried a little. Poor mom.
I never knew
You stayed up late
Until you called me
At 4:38
am
and said
"I'm bored"
GRRRRR

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 09:52:19 PM »
  I didn't cry, but that might have been due to the extreme amount of lag while I watched it (it took an hour and a half to finish).
I recently discovered that I was capable of sending coins to myself, and exploiting this is surprisingly entertaining.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 02:30:53 AM »
Aye, I think things like this has a lot to do with each person's past experiences and the like.

Personally, I didn't find it to be the crying-type of sad, but rather the reflective-type of sad. Like Path, it just kind of makes me give sympathy to the hardships my parents went through raising me. Taking away that divorced drama aspect of the story, I was hoping to also just show how something simple like baking a cake can strike some emotional attachment.

I think every kid has had that moment where the parents went through things to get/do something for the him/her, and in the end he/she didn't want it or broke/dropped it or whatnot. While on the surface it never seems like that big of a deal to the child (and probably the parents wouldn't show anything neither), there always were stories in the backstage that the parents went through to get that to the child, and it always hurts a little. Most don't realize that until they grow up to be in those shoes themselves, but that's perfectly normal and natural.

P.S. KRoP: Cheesus that's like 3 times the time of a normal play.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 06:28:59 PM »
I was also somewhat depressed that night, Reives, like you know.  :x

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 09:34:11 AM »
P.S. KRoP: Cheesus that's like 3 times the time of a normal play.
I know. That lag really sucked. :l
I recently discovered that I was capable of sending coins to myself, and exploiting this is surprisingly entertaining.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:07:09 PM »
yeah, i wouldn't call it cry-worthy (no offense to those who DID cry), but it WAS sad... (< I really like ellipses)

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 09:26:17 AM »
@Muffin: I didn't get it either, oh well. and, so what if those are excuses >_> you're a boy and you cried! [I'm using the stereotype on purpose, if you didn't know.]
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 10:46:59 AM »
*cough* excuses *cough*

:nairstare:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:49:47 AM by Arwym Starlight »

Muffin

• is a girl, likes ribbons in his hair, and wants to kiss all the boys!
  • Tier 7
  • AY YO!!
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 05:19:19 AM »
*cough* excuses *cough*

:nairstare:
:0...
DON'T STARE AT ME!!  :'(
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything can ever be this good again
The only thing i'll ever ask of you, you gotta promise not to stop when i say when..

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 08:48:58 PM »
Oh... sorry to totally rain on anyone's parade, but I found it a wee bit cheesy. Like seriously, they totally planned a party without calling the mom? And why did the random employee totally let the mom use the oven? There were also some distracting typo-y things, but it definitely could be REALLY REALLY good! All that stuff would be super easy to fix, I think. Sorry, Reives, but on the bright side, everybody else liked it!
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 06:24:17 PM »
^ I sorta agree, though I've actually seen things like that happen. (when I was the one planning a surprise, then no one showed up because they decided to do something else last minute :( ) I don' think it's too cheesy, but maybe put an extra line of dialog that explains why they don't call the mom.

Green Dragon

• Tier 7
  • Finally unbound from my shackles, weak humans
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »
Just felt like I had to post now. It indeed made me cry. I guess that the melody alone is enough in my case.It reminds me of my late grandfather, and how I never really told him my goodbye. He was very sick back then, and when I heard it, I couldn't believe that he was dead. I really miss him. He was a good man. Always friendly and calm, even to the last.Just writing this brings back the tears, as I am listeining to the melody, too. But still, I can only look back, and be glad about the time which I spend with him. He was always loved, and I will never forget him.

That is what it brings to me. Sorrow and regret, but also happiness and strong memories.
If I could, I'd turn back time, forget it all and leave this mess behind.
If I could, her love would always be around.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »
Oh... sorry to totally rain on anyone's parade, but I found it a wee bit cheesy. Like seriously, they totally planned a party without calling the mom? And why did the random employee totally let the mom use the oven? There were also some distracting typo-y things, but it definitely could be REALLY REALLY good! All that stuff would be super easy to fix, I think. Sorry, Reives, but on the bright side, everybody else liked it!

Perhaps you didn't understand what happened very well.

This is what happened (correct me if I am wrong, Reives):

Spoiler: show
The boy's parents are separated.  The girl he goes out with is his sister, and the house they go to is their father's.  It's the boy's birthday, and the past year his mom had promised him a cake, but due to their situation, she couldn't make it.  But this year, she would do everything she could to make that cake for her son.
So, while the boy was playing carelessly with his sister at their father's home, the mom started preparing the cake.  It may be a small town, and the small business owners may well know her (as it usually happens in small towns, where everybody knows who is who), and since they trust her, they let her use their instruments for the occasion.  Especially knowing her condition.  What's wrong with solidarity?
Anyway, the boy is with his father and sister (and step-mother?), and suddenly it's decided that they'll make the boy a birthday party.  Because the father's condition allows, he can get him the best cake, and the best party, unlike the mother.  So the boy decides to stay and celebrate the birthday with his father that year, possibly forgetting his mother's promise of a cake at home due to the excitement of having a real birthday party.
Meanwhile, after going through all that sacrifice to make the cake for her son, the mother finally finishes, and all that is left now is to wait for the boy to come back home, and celebrate together.  But the boy doesn't come.  And all that work, all that love, is wasted away.

I don't find that cheesy, simply because I can understand the mother and the son.  My parents divorced when I was still like 3 years old (maybe less), and in complicated circumstances that affected my childhood and marked me forever; so it was always like this.  I had no choice but to decide every year where and with whom to be.  It always felt as if I had to divide my own self in two equal parts, but I couldn't do that.  I had to be in one place at a time.  Either with mom, or with dad.
As for the mother, I imagine all the sacrifices that my own mom has made for my brother and myself ever since we were born.  Being a mother and father, basically.  Because most of the time, our fathers weren't there for us, and it was mom who did everything.  And I thank her and love her for that.  She's a great woman, a hard-worker, and a wonderful mother.

As children, we tend to be careless, and don't realize all the things that our parents do for us.  And sometimes, without knowing, we hurt their feelings.  Because only they know what they've been through, just to make us happy and give us what we need.  And as teenagers, we are ungrateful, selfish, and again, careless.  So once again, we hurt our parents with words and mistakes that may well cost them all that sacrifice.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:15:21 PM by Arwym »