Author Topic: Ralle and Lyra workshop [New characters: Gabriel & Isabelle]  (Read 12294 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Ralle and Lyra workshop [New characters: Gabriel & Isabelle]
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:00:49 AM »
---
Edit:
New characters started up: http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=914.msg37991#msg37991

Most up-to-date version of Lyra:
Spoiler: show

---

This thread's going to be updated with the visual design of Ralle and Lyra from Lyra's Melody (and Quintessence) as I struggle through the epic journey of attempting to draw them myself instead of hiring an artist like I probably should.

Here's the first stage sketch:

This' probably gonna go very slowly though, I'll work on them when I feel like it now and then. :vikonsmile:

Edit:
Update - Lyra with face:

Update 2 - Lyra full body sketch:
Finished a little full body sketch of Lyra (Ralle's is still in the works). Clothing looks a bit plain now, I'll try to add some decorations later. She'll also be wearing a locket as a necklace, which contains little pieces of paper and a pencil. (For written communication in case of emergency and Ralle's not around, since she's deaf.)

Spoiler: Update • show

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 01:12:17 AM by Reives »

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Re: Ralle and Lyra workshop
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:08:58 AM »
For an instance, that Ralle sprite reminded me of Heath. Only the hair is yellow. And nice sketch...though I am looking out to see their (maybe) gorgeous faces here.

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 09:02:35 AM »
Great sketch. I like both of them very much. Ralle’s body is very close to the sprite, but Lyra’s head looks a little different. But thereis nothing bad about this, the Lyra sketch looks also or especially wonderful.

Good work.

In my opinion it is very hard to draw the face you imagined, especially the mouth. So this will probably be the hardest part.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:17:16 AM »
Thanks guys. Heheh yeah, Ralle is actually pretty much Heath's head plus another similar body with different colours. :p Shh! And ah, that's a good point about Lyra's head not matching with the sprite; I think I'll add some side bangs on her sprite instead of changing the pic.

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
Personally, I like the sketch for Ralle but not for Lyra.
In a way, she looks awfully old-fashioned or something.
But, Ralle's sketch kinda contradicts, he's supposed to be more of a bard if I remember, but in the sketch and sprite, he looks more like a freaking awfully cool soldier.

Clothes? That's armor I tell ya!

and, here's something random for a try: I REFUSE to believe that Lyra is that flat-chested.
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Updated: Ralle and Lyra workshop
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »
Eh, that's no armor. o: I thought it looked just like a normal cloth with a wanabe cape. Is Lyra really that flat-chested in that pic? ._o

Here's Lyra with face (Ralle's is coming but I'm struggling a lot with his face):

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:11:48 PM by Reives »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:38:48 PM »
love the sketch, especially for Ralle. You have the makings of an artist in you (unlike me, I can only do little pixel peoples), and I love the work. One thing though, on Ralle's sketch, his arm looks a tad to thin.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »
Heheh, thanks. Ah yep, that arm(-ish line) will certainly be fixed. c: Someone pointed out that Ralle's cape on the sprite folds over his shoulders rather than behind it, so that'll be worked too.  :kardiansmile:

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Lyra full body sketch
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 02:26:52 AM »
Finished a little full body sketch of Lyra (Ralle's is still in the works). Clothing looks a bit plain now, I'll try to add some decorations later. She'll also be wearing a locket as a necklace, which contains little pieces of paper and a pencil. (For written communication in case of emergency and Ralle's not around, since she's deaf.)

menti

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 5
  • Ça plane pour moi
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 03:32:18 AM »
I think that in the sketches Lyra looks very pretty and young (from what you can see), but the sprite looks older and not as pretty, like somebody whos let themselves go a little bit after they've been married. Also with the hair of the sprite, there should be some coming in front of her shoulders and the side view makes her look like she has odd seventies feather hair or a weird plait.

Oh and she has a locket that fits a pencil in it? That's either one massive locket or one tiny pencil.

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 09:06:11 AM »
I second Menti on that. Though the sketch is very well done and I already envy your skills. Why would you hire an artist when you do it perfectly fine yourself? It would rather be that some of us should hire you! :P

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I guess I agree with menti as well about the sprite looking older thing.

@Reives: you better make it such that she has a pocket for the pencil & paper instead >_>

and, in the first one it's a little less prominent or something >_> though for Ralle, no matter how I look at it, that's armor.
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 09:45:57 PM »
Yeah, that's true. I'll try to fix up the sprite to make it look younger; I think the shading on the face may be part of that. The two side bangs on the hair have been added to the sprite now. c: I'm assuming that the odd feather-like thing on the side of the hair on the sprite is referring to the yellow part? If so, I'll probably have that to be some kind of a yellow hair clip; will have to refine it though.

As for the pencil thing: I dunno, I personally hate putting pencils in my pocket. :P Plus, it's a neat little thing to do with a "pendant". Tiny pencils can be commonly made anyhow:

Though it'd probably be more primitive than that.

MiatheRabbit

• Tier 2
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 03:56:24 AM »
She could have a pencil tucked behind her ear maybe?

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 07:09:26 PM »
Mm, maybe. I'm still stuck to the locket idea though. :p Just seems like a nice idea of symbolism to me.

Here're a couple of screenshots with rough 5-minute mock-ups of the sketch for fun and to get a feel of what it's going to be like: