Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 4387 times)

KRoP

• Tier 5
  • lol quintessence
Global Warming
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:52:27 AM »
This board is so dead; it's time for some posting steroids!

Global Warming: End of the world?  Minor problem?  Propaganda?  Can you think of a practical "cure" to this problem?

Discuss.
I recently discovered that I was capable of sending coins to myself, and exploiting this is surprisingly entertaining.

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
Re: Global Warming
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »
End of World.
First Cure: Exterminate mankind.

=win.
I'm not kidding here. Though we might have to plant more trees before we're exterminated to bring down the CO2 levels again.
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Valtier

• Tier 5
  • Apathy taken to an artform
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 04:01:16 PM »
I'm not sure how to approach this without offending some of the posters here...

I don't believe that Global Warming is the all-consuming force of destruction that it has been made out to be.  Among its' expected effects isn't fire/brimstone or spontaneous combustion.  Earth experiences warming and cooling periods with or without our intervention.  Looking for an alternative source of energy is wonderful. Fearmongering and pushing one's own agenda under the guise of "saving the planet" isn't.

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 08:48:30 PM »
It's not the planet we need to save. It can save itself, as he has done a few times ago with planetary catastrophies. We should think about saving ourselves before we worry about the planet.

Anyway, global warming certainly isn't a fake. Aside from totally reliable sources with no propaganda at all like An Inconvenient Truth, there is something wrong with the life loop. There is always a certain amount of carbon on the earth, which is buried underground, then thrown back into the atmosphere by the means of volcanoes and such, only to be reabsorbed by trees who die and and get mixed with the ground again.

Of course, we are draining all of that out of the earth (petroleum/coal are dead trees). Now that wouldn't be really a problem. More CO2 = More plant food = More forests. But since we are taking all the space and cutting down all forest and taking all the place, might a little harder to fix the problem.

menti

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 5
  • Ça plane pour moi
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 03:27:13 AM »
I don't know if you could call An Inconvenient Truth a "totally" reliable source.

Renewable energy is surely the way to go. We need to develop some aspects of it to make it more economically viable, but eventually we have to realise that it's the only way. I mean, can you imagine how much solar energy you could get from the Australian sun?

Valtier

• Tier 5
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 06:03:59 AM »
I don't know if you could call An Inconvenient Truth a "totally" reliable source.

Renewable energy is surely the way to go. We need to develop some aspects of it to make it more economically viable, but eventually we have to realise that it's the only way. I mean, can you imagine how much solar energy you could get from the Australian sun?

I agree with you completely here.  We don't need to look for sacrifices and compromises, we need to look for a solution.

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:43:14 AM »
The "An Inconvinient Truth" is can't be said as a fact since it is some kind of a warning to us. The pics Al Gore showed were pics of what would happen after 50 years of GW. Totally bad.

Of course, we are draining all of that out of the earth (petroleum/coal are dead trees). Now that wouldn't be really a problem. More CO2 = More plant food = More forests. But since we are taking all the space and cutting down all forest and taking all the place, might a little harder to fix the problem.

Ditto. In addition, blame the industrial places! They give out smoke on their buildings and where does the smoke go? HMMM? And also, the smoke belching cars. Like here in the Philippines, the reason I would prefer being in the province is that its much cleaner there.

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 08:52:10 AM »
More CO2 = More plant food = More forests. But since we are taking all the space and cutting down all forest and taking all the place, might a little harder to fix the problem.
Ironically, the greater direct problem is not that we're cutting down more trees, but rather the rate of CO2 introduction into the atmosphere > rate of CO2 removal by trees, partially due to lack of trees/forests.

and,
I mean, can you imagine how much solar energy you could get from the Australian sun?
solar energy is indeed one of the better energy alternatives, but the fact that it's costly to construct solar panels and that solar panels are easily broken, not many are willing to 'sponser' it to such a great extent.

It's not the planet we need to save. It can save itself, as he has done a few times ago with planetary catastrophies. We should think about saving ourselves before we worry about the planet.
I wonder what you're referring to, if you mean it's saving itself with global warming you're quite right on that.
or if you're referring to the planetary convectional currents that were part of the cause of the Ice Ages donkey years ago, global warming is going to prevent Ice Age 3 from coming or something.

and, well humans are truly the main cause of global warming, if humans became extinct, rate of CO2 introduction into the atmosphere will go down like crazy, I'm not talking about leaving behind human corpses though, we'd still maintain quite a high rate of CO2 production due to decaying.
though, of course it's not a practical cure.
At least for the time being, I'd doubt there'd be a true practical cure, humans are just too selfish. and did I mention many of them hate change?
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:58:58 AM »
I know, I was quite sarcastic with the Inconvenient Truth. But then again, if it's job was simply to make us a little more sensitive to the problem, it's not that bad that it wasn't totally exact information. (P.S. Al Gore's swimming pool takes more electricity then a normal house).

And the planet doesn't fear an ice age. Who cares if 99% of all species are wiped out, all it's going to take is a million year or two to repopulate which is a big nothing at all on the geological scale. That's more what I mean.

And for the solar panels, it is an interesting alternative. There are programs all over the world were the state is willing to pay a part of your panel expenses, and the electricity you produce and don't use you can sell it to the grid (electricity network) and buying it back at a much cheaper price at night.
Spoiler: show

If you're in the US or know how to use a US proxy, you can watch this documentary about solar energy online.

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »
Yay! People are smart. I think I actually agree with everyone here! Some people blow GW/Climate change way out of proportion, reducing carbon emissions in and of itself can't do squat; we need a better energy source. At the same time, I would like to see more (reasonable) concern about the environment in the mainstream. We spend way too much time enjoying technology and not nature.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
Ditto abigailian. The more we make use of the modern technologies discovered daily, we forget that we are making a vital damage to our environment. By the way I see it, people ARE aware that this is already taking effect. The question is, are you doing something to solve the said issue? Humans are humans and therefore with brains. Humans are not robots who are still waiting for a controller and follow the orders. Meetings whose agendas are all about Global Warming and solutions are held everywhere in the world and yet, nothing in the small world of ours is changing. Still, some people are careless and just continue to live their lives, not knowing of the damage that they can do to nature (ie. industrial companies, etc.)

Valtier

• Tier 5
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 06:35:44 PM »
Humans are humans and therefore with brains. Humans are not robots who are still waiting for a controller and follow the orders.

I find myself doubting this daily, but.

As stated, A Clean Renewable Energy Sourcetm is the only real solution to curbing emissions problems.
We can all promise to ride bikes as long as it's convenient and carpool/use public transit when possible, but that doesn't answer the root of the problem at all.

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »
Humans are humans and therefore with brains. Humans are not robots who are still waiting for a controller and follow the orders.

I guess this is part of my problem with Global Warming as a political issue. Since when does every single problem on the face of the Earth suddenly become government's responsibility? I think individuals need to look into the problems out there, such as pollution in its various forms, and make smart decisions for themselves. Maybe if governments didn't butt in so much we'd be better and thinking for ourselves and would be willing to do what it takes to solve issues, instead of sitting back and saying "Oh, the government'll get to that eventually, not my problem."
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 11:02:12 PM »
First, in democracy, the government is supposed to represent the people, it is elected to act in their place. It also has the power to do publicity campaigns to make us aware of the problem. Some actions cannot be done by us individuals unless someone stands up and organize thousands of people's money to fund some green energy research. So the organizer is usually the government.

But yeah, we won't get anywhere with this attitude of trying to give the burden to someone else.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 07:16:29 PM »
First, in democracy, the government is supposed to represent the people, it is elected to act in their place. It also has the power to do publicity campaigns to make us aware of the problem. Some actions cannot be done by us individuals unless someone stands up and organize thousands of people's money to fund some green energy research. So the organizer is usually the government.
Not true; a Go Green group organized by students has appeared in my school.

Also remember that Global Warming has probably started way back when. I think this problem came to light only a few years ago.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)