Author Topic: Screenshot Thread  (Read 201199 times)

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Screenshot Thread
« on: February 03, 2009, 08:39:03 AM »
I am surprised that there isnít a screenshot thread in this forum (or did I just miss it?)
However, you can post the maps/screenshots of your project here.
Because you want to have feedback, please comment on the last screenshots, too.

Have fun. :)

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
Re: Screenshot Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:20:03 AM »
meh, I thought most of them post their screenies in their project thread?
and, what sort of ss are we supposed to post?>_>
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:27:56 AM »
meh, I thought most of them post their screenies in their project thread?
and, what sort of ss are we supposed to post?>_>

Well, not everyoneís project is ready to be presented.  ;)

All kind of screenshots: Maps, menus, everything else.

Here is a map I made just for fun some month ago to test my new tileset. Still without fogs etc. Ė SephirothSpawns screenshot maker is great, but it ignores the fogs/events sometimes.
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/416/mapscreenshotxd5.png

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:39:31 AM »
Stickied. :~

@Squall:
That's pretty cool, looks nice. It seems like a map that you'd fly over instead of walk in though, as walking in it seems rather impossible. :p I'm guessing it isn't made for that anyhow since you were just testing the tileset. Oh and I think the contrast on one of the tree types could be turned down.

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »
Stickied. :~

@Squall:
That's pretty cool, looks nice. It seems like a map that you'd fly over instead of walk in though, as walking in it seems rather impossible. :p I'm guessing it isn't made for that anyhow since you were just testing the tileset. Oh and I think the contrast on one of the tree types could be turned down.

Actually, this map was inspired by the credit version of "Where We Part"  :reivsmile: Because I wanted to try my tileset, it was a good opportunity to do this. And aye, you are right with the other two things: one of the tree types (the one in the upper right) doesnít really fit in there, the colors is too different. I didnít intend to ever use this map in a project, but in an autorun event the player (a butterfly ^^) flies over the map. Here is a "ingame" screenshot:
Spoiler: show

Not very good, I know, but kind of warmer.

I still think that the map is a little empty. Maybe I will fix this sometime.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:42:26 PM by legacyblade »

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:59:56 AM »
@Squall

Your a good mapper! No, the map isn't empty (well, unless you mean some meaning). Though as Reives said, you'll have to consider playability in future maps. The way the water is placed is a little as if it was a swamp, or a land that was just flooded. It may be better for it to have a more definite direction, as in a real stream. Of course, you'll have to fix the bush's shadow. Finally, if you can, it may be good to consider desaturating some of the flowers a bit, as the color is a little too bright for the map.

Nice lights, too. Just a little too bright. It would be good to play with screen tone a little at the same time as using fogs.

A something I've been working on. The HUD is pretty much all that's done ATM (and it's over 700 lines -_-). I'm aware that the action panel needs a filler for the quarter-circle hole...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:42:37 PM by legacyblade »

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 10:01:59 AM »
o.0 so it was important enough to be stickied.
though, the tree was out of place because of the flowers around it and it was huge?><
or was it the tree with the brighter green color?><

and well I suppose this would at least fit the autorun. though it almost looks like a lot of effort just for a pic in the autorun.

edit: @zeka: nice battle style o.0
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 10:12:18 AM »
o.0 so it was important enough to be stickied.
though, the tree was out of place because of the flowers around it and it was huge?><
or was it the tree with the brighter green color?><

and well I suppose this would at least fit the autorun. though it almost looks like a lot of effort just for a pic in the autorun.

I meant the tree with the brighter (and darker) green that looks like the sun is shining on it.
It was a test, in my game I probably wouldnít have spend so much time for a single map that is used only once/short.
But in Quintessence there are also some good maps that are used only once, e.g. in the Trails-video.

@zeka: I thought of changing the light effect, too Ė Iíll probably need another sun fog, because this one doesnít look good when the oppacity is too low. I actually increased the red tone in "Change Screen Color Tone"; thus the map has a warm atmosphere. But I guess you are right with the flowers: too many different colors semm to bee too bright.

Your screen looks very nice. Is this a turn-based battle system? The command and turn window look great. Although the map is quite simple, it has a light atmosphere and itís a good battle map.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:15:55 AM »
@Squall:
Heheh yeah, the light effect seems a bit too bright there. But otherwise, looking great; love the circle of flowers there, although I think it may benefit to desaturate the blue ones a bit.

@Sora:
Yeah, a screenshot thread is pretty much stickied on every game dev forum/board.  :reivsmile:

@Zeka:
The HUD is awesome, really digging its setup. How does the system work?

~~~

Here's one for Lyra's Melody/Quintessence; edited out some new cliffs for a change. The higher one doesn't have a gradient showing depth yet though:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:24:06 PM by Reives »

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »
Eventually it should be like a Turn-Based Tactical, with automated (pathfinding -> requires much empty space) movement. But it's more of a learning project for rgss for now.

@Reives

While hard to notice, the waterfall connection looks a little browner the the actual water autotile (shore pixels)? The four corners are all emptier then the middle, but it remains a great map, great colors as always...

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »
Very good map, Reives. I like especially the great combination of different autotiles and the "fresh" effect of the map (many maps in Quintessence had this effect, e.g. Korbin Village). The colors remind me of this mornings with dew in the grass when I camped and got up very early.  :reivsmile:

The bridges look a little strange because there is only one rail Ė isnít it possible to put the lower rail on the third layer (or, if not possible as events)?

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 11:42:38 AM »
@Zeka:
Ooh, you're the one scripting it? Nice, good luck and looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

And yeah, the water fall autotile's connection point is a problem; I fixed it up a bit yesterday but it still doesn't match completely, will try getting it done eventually. That's true with the corners. I'll add to them when I get to using the map as a playable map; for its current usage they won't be visible.

@Squall:
Thanks. Ah, I totally forgot about that bridge rail thing, hahah. I'll add it now, there shouldn't be any layer conflicts. Thanks for the reminder.

Askalon

• Tier 4
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »
@ Squall
    Hey, very nice map! I donít think itís too empty, itís warm, beautiful ;) Especially the water effects add to the tension.

@ zekallinos

Also very nice. I like the map itself, but most I love the HUD. It looks just great  ;)

@ Reives

Ah, this one. Looks very mountainish, not that quintessence-ish (which doesít mean I dislike it!). A pity you only screenshot the event map and not the     Ērealď map. Although itís very atmospheric(al?).

And here goes my map (of my game Ira Gladii).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:42:58 PM by legacyblade »

Muffin

• is a girl, likes ribbons in his hair, and wants to kiss all the boys!
  • Tier 7
  • AY YO!!
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 03:20:24 PM »
I might post my own screenshot soon too.. :D
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything can ever be this good again
The only thing i'll ever ask of you, you gotta promise not to stop when i say when..

Askalon

• Tier 4
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 03:29:51 PM »
I might post my own screenshot soon too.. :D
But what you can do is to give your opinion about all these screenies :).