Author Topic: Screenshot Thread  (Read 201122 times)

zekallinos

• Tier 5
Re: Screenshot Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2009, 09:10:07 PM »
Are those cave interiors? I can see a little brown wall outline when I look close to the walls, but it looks more like a big black shape that cuts the map. The map is nice and all, nice atmosphere, but the color look really saturated and vibrant. Maybe it's wanted, but it seems like the trees and plants absorb and reflect ALOT of light.

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2009, 11:59:38 AM »
good point there zeka. I agree with you, in that portion it looks a little weird.

@Caro: very nice, but the entrance to the school interior isn't very clearly shown. maybe you wanna try using the same method Reives used?(those arrows in Quintessence)

@Leaser: If I had to be, great shadows but the light alignment is off. which kinda causes the effect of the shadows to backfire a little.
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

HarryE

• Tier 5
  • Fall in a more hard-boiled manner
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2009, 12:44:05 PM »
Are those cave interiors? I can see a little brown wall outline when I look close to the walls, but it looks more like a big black shape that cuts the map. The map is nice and all, nice atmosphere, but the color look really saturated and vibrant. Maybe it's wanted, but it seems like the trees and plants absorb and reflect ALOT of light.

That's a true point. Buuuut, that's the result of gameplay over visuals.  I mean, if I made it less dark, less saturated it becomes too dark for the player to see anything. I wanted a lot of saturation for people to actually see what they're doing.

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2009, 09:02:38 AM »
@HarryE: but, the fact that there's so much plant life in the cave kinda bugs me a little, unless it's really bright during the day. Besides, if it's really bright during the day, the plants would mainly be growing towards the cave entrance and block it up, and it's not like the light from the fire can last forever and provide light for the plants.

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2009, 12:45:30 AM »
I've been meaning to ask where and how the sideways ramp design came about... it is a really nice effect...

I never saw my puzzle answered so I will ask nicely.  Who came up with the sideways ramp design and where can I get it?
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.
They all mean so little when you can't take time to put your soul into the work.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2009, 01:18:30 AM »
@Harry:
Whoa, love the water tiles there, they look very natural. Good stuff, very atmospheric. I'd recommend using a light that fades out more gradually though, those feel a bit more like fireballs. :p

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2009, 07:25:30 AM »
@Hunter: no idea, though I agree with Reives that it's pretty nice, and maybe Reives knows? since he also used it in Quintessence a little.

Caro Ru Lushe

• Tier 4
  • The right to become a god is mine alone
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2009, 07:45:53 PM »
Spoiler: He's jumping, for real. • show

Spoiler: A good room? • show

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »
@Caro: yup, a good room, except it might be a little cramped to live in that room =X
btw, the girl/doll...must you give it a sprite while jumping? especially, jumping side by side with our main char. It almost seems the doll/girl is jumping into the abyss and dying o.0

HarryE

• Tier 5
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2009, 05:05:04 PM »
Here's some more Varrutocko! This part takes place in a swamp. "Fishers" inhabit this area, which will toss you in the opposite direction if you jump on them. It's their mating season, see. It's a show of masculinity.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:48:03 PM by legacyblade »

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2009, 09:06:32 AM »
@HarryE: o.0 I see many one-tile paths, I think making them 'fatter' might be better, I mean it's kinda weird to have to have so many patches of land that is exactly 1 tile large >_>.

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2009, 10:05:08 AM »
What's really weird is that the ground seems to be exactly at the water level...although it's what you have, can't be helped, I guess. And yeah, it's sometimes annoying to have very narrow walking space.

About Caro's room, while it looks small for RTP (too small, I'd say), that would be the size of an average RL room, really. I hope you don't intend to have any cutscenes with a lot of characters in there, it wouldn't fit for sure  :P

HarryE

• Tier 5
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2009, 11:34:44 AM »
I don't really understand. Why is walking on Tile-thin so bad? There are no obstructions in there so it's not like you can get caught.

As for the ground I was trying to make it look like part of the swamp that just looks solid enough to walk on, hence why it's so thin.

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2009, 09:16:32 AM »
maybe because I think that generally, the landscape in swamps tend to be very irregular, the way it is shown here shows it to be rather smooth in a way, besides even in swamps, it generally has quite a large walkable area, even if they are extremely soft and muddy.

HarryE

• Tier 5
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2009, 01:15:30 PM »
maybe because I think that generally, the landscape in swamps tend to be very irregular, the way it is shown here shows it to be rather smooth in a way, besides even in swamps, it generally has quite a large walkable area, even if they are extremely soft and muddy.

Well, yeah, but again, this part of the game is a maze-like area of the game so, just like the previous screenshots, this is gameplay over visuals. I will try to add a bit more thickness here and there, but it's quite precise what with the Fishers and everything.