Author Topic: Lyra's Melody - The Song She Whispered to Me  (Read 28932 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Lyra's Melody - The Song She Whispered to Me
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 12:23:33 AM »
YOU WANT THESE 2 TO GO THROUGH A DUNGEON!!!??? maybe traviston can hold his own...but you want a 'bard' and a deaf girl to fight...through a dungeon...

Reives, edit it. now. no dungeons.
Because people who do music are always weaklings and dungeons are always filled with Pyramid-Heads. Just to let you know, Ralle and Lyra are both Karate black-belts with power levels of over 9000 with superman strength and can shoot lasers.
Naw, it stands. :~

P.S. Traviston has a pistol that he lets Ralle/Lyra use. He himself will probably be the main offense. Both Ralle and Lyra will probably be able to heal.

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
Okay, now I have the time to be a little more detailed.
First I think that the story has much potential and I have full trust in your abilities of telling a story. You could make a classic RPG with a non-classic fairytale-ish story with a sweet style. At the moment I think the game will be something like this. A combination of your personal style, a new story of an old kind (fairytale-ish) and a sweet perspective/style. There will of course be something of Quintessence, but the setting seems to be very different. Not so huge and epic, rather more true-to-life and sweet.
As for the gameplay: I don’t know if it is only me, but I think, it is hard to an attractive gameplay with the RPG Maker – especially the battles get boring after a while. Of course the puzzles in Quintessence were great and the battle system was nice, too, but personally I didn’t like to be interruped by battles after playing through many chapters without battles (exeption are the story battles; I was rather referencing to the optional battles in chapter III (I had much fun there when I first played through the game), VII and IX. It is like feeling completely with the characters and suddenly being interrupted by something.
But beside battle there a lot of options to make a good gameplay. Puzzles are always great and old school, but it’s hard to make many different diversified of them and you cannot put a puzzle in any village. There are still a lot of other things. Minigames, sindequests etc.
I would embrace some sidequests with a good amount of story inside. For examples the reaction of the characters. I liked the 'quest' in Q-Chapter V when you had to bring the music box to the Aerian, because it was something special. The last sentence of Reivier ("These Aerians… they are good people, too." or something like this) was really memorable.
I hope you want to create something memorable again.

By the way: The first 'screen' or ingame picture looks so sweet :).

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 12:32:30 PM »
Because people who do music are always weaklings and dungeons are always filled with Pyramid-Heads. Just to let you know, Ralle and Lyra are both Karate black-belts with power levels of over 9000 with superman strength and can shoot lasers.
Naw, it stands. :~

P.S. Traviston has a pistol that he lets Ralle/Lyra use. He himself will probably be the main offense. Both Ralle and Lyra will probably be able to heal.
yup they are always weaklings, but wth is with ralle and lyra being KARATE BLACK-BELTS OMFG!!*what a shocking and 'wtf!' discovery*.
you know how weird it is right...to have 2 commoners going into a dungeon fighting. they're not like Reivier who is a hunter....nor Vikon who is a woodcutter (you got the strength and the axe, what's there to stop you?). and er power lvls of over 9k with superhuman strength and can shoot lasers...wow. *speechless* fantasy story lol.

ok back on topic, how does Lyra heal when she can't see her allies!? and during a battle...there's too much noise to differentiate between friend and foe...I think it's better to keep Lyra out of the battle. I suppose at least Ralle can 'heal' with music...
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Green Dragon

• Tier 7
  • Finally unbound from my shackles, weak humans
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
She is deaf, not blind! Huge difference!
If I could, I'd turn back time, forget it all and leave this mess behind.
If I could, her love would always be around.

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »
I think you shouldn’t be too hard with the logic of something in battles if they are no scenes or important for the story. Battles are not really a part of the story and it’s normal that the characters/battles have superhuman power. Otherwise you would hardly survive more than one sword strike, right? ;)

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 07:25:45 PM »
It depends against what they fight.

But most battle systems are not made for realism.

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 11:03:17 AM »
oh crap, nice one GD, my bad I was not right in the head when typing the above.
but still....how do you heal when you can't talk. I mean, you normally say something when you cast a spell(healing spells or something) and when you're deaf it also affects your ability to speak.
but I have to agree with zeka:
But most battle systems are not made for realism.
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »
Reives: bloody hell, I haven't even heard of those. I bet my computer couldn't use them anyways. ^^
About "medley", I didn't know this word, and when I looked it up in my dict, it gave me synonims such as "balderdash". XD So am I misleaded, or it has some other meanings as well? :D
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 03:01:40 PM »
In Germany medley is an anglicism and means a mix of music or some music peaces.
For example a Quintessence piano medley is a arranged piece of music / composition of some tracks from Quintessence which are connected with each other.  :kardiansmile:

Muffin

• is a girl, likes ribbons in his hair, and wants to kiss all the boys!
  • Tier 7
  • AY YO!!
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 03:45:19 PM »
Is this going to be a commercial game? :x
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything can ever be this good again
The only thing i'll ever ask of you, you gotta promise not to stop when i say when..

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 04:10:16 PM »
This project will be treated as work, and will be done in a set schedule during the summer that does not interfere with Quintessence. P.S. New screenshot for Q is up on Making-Of thread!

I suppose so. ;)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »
Perhaps. :P

Aye, Squall's description was what I meant with "medley". Basically just a song that's arranged from a collection of many songs.

@Sora:
I mean, you normally say something when you cast a spell
^You don't have to say anything when you transform in Quintessence. :P
But actually, you made me realize some important points. I am now changing the story to such that Lyra wasn't born deaf, but gradually became deaf after Ralle started to hear that particular melody in his head; when they were still both relatively young. That way, she is still able to speak (born deaf would make speaking normally next to impossible, albeit there are still ways to teach).

@Squall:
Yeah, I know what you mean by the battle thing. It is somewhat of a distraction, especially for like chapter 3 since there hasn't been any battles for a while and all of a sudden there's a bunch of them crammed together. I think they'd be mangeable when spread out evenly through-out, though. The main thing is that they are efficient at extending the play-time, which is useful in this case. I agree with the other points, and I'll try to go for them, time restraints apply though.

---

I was originally going to do a XP default perspective battle system where the players' characters' backs are facing the player instead of just having a normal pic there; probably a modified version of the KGC's active-time battle for those who know what that is. But after some thought, I think it may be better to use the Quintessence style battle system after all. However, there will be up to 4 people in your party at the same time, so here's what I'm planning:

[When you have 4 people in party at the same time]:
Whenever you enter a battle, you can only choose 2 people from the party to fight. This gives it a little strategic combo choice per se, and would be easier to manage on my part than say, controlling 4 people in a long line. The mechanics are the same as Quintessence's battle system after you enter the fight. Upon victory, experience (level) is divided to all characters in party.

However, there is a separate "skill level" counter that determines when new skills are acquired - and that only increases for the 2 characters that were chosen.

Traviston has a melee weapon and a pistol - if you choose [traviston] and [Ralle or Lyra], Traviston will only have melee attacks and [Ralle or Lyra] will have the pistol. However if you choose [traviston] and the fourth character who is capable of handling the fights herself (name's Dove), then Traviston will have both the melee weapon and the pistol. So it's like, the combo [traviston]+[Dove] = double offense, and mixing either of them with Ralle or Lyra would be offense+healer or offense+defense or whatnot.

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:35 PM »
Sounds like a good idea, although how are you going to manage your battles so that the player has to choose between the different combos to have a good change of winning, instead of just sticking to those he feels like?

About the easier to manage thing, I think that it would be worthwhile to use RGSS/Ruby if only for for loops and arrays. Much easier to have : if enemy x hits bullet then:  if enemy 1 hits bullet, if enemy 2 hits bullets, etc (I mean, you can't have array with events). I'm sure you know what I mean.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 10:50:39 PM »
Yeah, that's true. I think that's what I'll end up doing; the conditional branches and the like are way too hassle-some when they're used in a bunch.

As for the combo choice; it'll have to be possible for any combo to win, but some combo will obviously be more "cookie-cutter" for certain types of battles than others. It may also depend on the player's style and preference; e.g. like survivability and don't mind dragging on the fights to be a bit longer, or just go in there and chop everything up. I suppose if a strategic planning on the combos would arise too when they find a pattern in strategies against certain types of mobs.

(I didn't misinterpret the question did I?)

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 11:00:58 PM »
This sounds like a really promising game! I'd be willing to help with the spriting, if you want. (i'm getting better at posing). And if you want an ABS, I could set up Blizz ABS for you! It works really well, lags very little, and is powerful! It allows more than 4 members in your party, and a lot of other features. It's like the quintessence battle system, but much much better (and the enemies have great AI. They keep killing me, when i playtest the game, XD)