Author Topic: Lyra's Melody - The Song She Whispered to Me  (Read 27617 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Lyra's Melody - The Song She Whispered to Me
« on: January 17, 2009, 04:02:44 AM »

(click to listen: Lyra's Melody main theme)

When Ralle Peregrine was a child, he began to hear a mysterious melody in his head. Around the same time, his childhood sweetheart, Lyra Shire, began to lose her hearing.

As they grew up, Ralle became a guitarist to accompany the strange melody that only he hears whenever he closes his eyes. By then, Lyra had gone completely deaf.

He wrote many songs for her, but she could hear none of them.

One day, when Ralle was playing the mysterious tune at his usual spot, a wagon came by and stopped. Out came a man; a wanderer named Traviston Estel, with a piece of rye hanging out of his mouth.

That of which he soon spat out, as he took out a music box, echoing the very melody that Ralle has been hearing all these years.

Bewildered, Ralle questioned him of the origin of the song - but the man did not know. In fact, it has been something that has been stuck in his head ever since he was a child as well, so he had the music box custom-made to keep it inside.

Upon hearing about Lyra's deafness as they conversed, the man spoke of the possibility for means to cure her in the big cities far, far away. For the sake of the common song of unknown origin they shared, Traviston offered to take them with him, as he was heading there himself.

Thrilled at even the remotest possibility of curing her, the couple took up the offer. And so began a journey that uncovered a mysterious past that spanned centuries.

But they only had one wish,
For that one day, Lyra would finally be able to hear the songs Ralle wrote for her.

<Lyra's Melody - The Song She Whispered to Me> is a fairytale RPG, with an aim of creating an interactive cinematic experience through a focus on story, atmosphere and music.

The main characters are obviously Ralle and Lyra. Here are their portrait pictures (Work-in-Progress):

Lyra Shire:
Spoiler: Lyra • show

Ralle Peregrine:
Spoiler: Ralle • show

A ~20 minute demo will be released in the next week or two. I am very eager to get some suggestions and advices from ya guys, they're always very helpful. :)

For now, here is a piano recording of its main theme, "Lyra's Melody":
Lyra's Melody

Thank you very much for reading!
Feedback always welcomed and much appreciated.

Spoiler: "Old Thread Opening Post:" • show

note: Formatting irreversibly broken due to automated changes when linking audio: QM (20.11.2014)

[CENTER]

"Where's the melody?"
"Shhh. . . Someone's already singing it."

[/CENTER]

Ever since Ralle Peregrine was a child,
a particular song/melody has been stuck in his head.
As he grew up, he picked up guitar solely to be able to accompany that melody which would be "sung" to him whenever he closes his eyes.

Lyra Shire is Ralle's childhood sweetheart, and she was born deaf. Ralle has written many songs for her through the years, but she could hear none of them. When they talk, he'd usually write on a piece of paper - but they've gotten used to each other enough that they can often communicate and understand each other without lingual means.

In his spare time, Ralle plays guitar for passing-by travelers at a nearby cliff. Often, they'd eventually ask him to play his favourite song; the tune that has been singing in his head ever since he was a child. He would always proceed to play its accompaniment.

"Where's the melody?" The travelers always ask.

"Shhh. . . Someone's already singing it." He'd always answer.

[CENTER]***[/CENTER]

One day, when Ralle was playing the accompaniment to that tune at his usual spot, a wagon passed by and stopped. Out came a man; a wanderer named Traviston Estel, with a piece of rye hanging out of his mouth.

That of which he soon spat out, as he started to hum that melody to Ralle's accompaniment

Bewildered, Ralle questioned him of the origin of the song - but the man did not know. In fact, it has been something that has been stuck in his head ever since he was a child as well.

Upon hearing about Lyra's deafness as they conversed, the man spoke of the possibility for means to cure her in the big cities far, far away. For the sake of the common song of unknown origin they shared, Traviston offered to take them with him on the way, as he was heading there himself.

Thrilled at even the remotest possibility of curing her, the couple took up the offer. And so, the next day, Ralle and Lyra rode off on Traviston's wagon, following the trail toward the big cities;

In hope that one day, Lyra would finally be able to hear the songs Ralle wrote for her.

[CENTER]***~***~***~***~***~***~***~***~***~[/CENTER]

<Lyra's Melody - The Song She Whispered to Me> is a fairytale with major story-integrated musical emphasis, and will be made in RMXP with an expected completion time of 2010.

As Ralle, Lyra and co. travel through their journey, Ralle would try to write a song whenever they stop by at a town or notable locations, as a "journal" to capture their experiences from their travel and that, in hope of when Lyra is cured one day, she'd listen to them and be reminded of them in a way that she has never been before. Each of these locations will not have any BGM upon first arrival; but after Ralle finishes writing a song for the occasion, it'd then become that location's BGM. 

There will be two separate original soundtracks;

1. "For Lyra, from Ralle." will be guitar-based, or at least always initiated with the guitar. It consists of all songs written by Ralle for Lyra. 2. "Songs She Whispered" will contain all songs other than the ones included in the above.

[If you haven't clicked on the link near the top, here is that particular song that was stuck in Ralle's head ever since he was a child:
"Silent Melody"
. It is the main theme song to the story, and does end up playing a role in the story which this article has not covered.]

I think there is a pretty decent potential for the story's premise as a fairytale. And as a fairytale, it is much less gloomy from my usual works, and I think the story itself mostly calls for "sweet" - so that's what I'll be trying to strive for.

Feedback on the idea are much appreciated, thank you very much for your time. :reivsmile:

Edit:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:24:35 AM by Question Kyo »

Muffin

• is a girl, likes ribbons in his hair, and wants to kiss all the boys!
  • Tier 7
  • AY YO!!
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
Re: Silent Melody - The Song She Whispered to Me
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 07:09:51 AM »
So the names were for this project?.. :>
I really liked the BGM Idea...
I can't wait for It to release.. :<
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything can ever be this good again
The only thing i'll ever ask of you, you gotta promise not to stop when i say when..

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 08:38:13 AM »
You have to wait Muffin, expected completed date is in 2010 after all.

Btw, nice story Reives, but you better make sure you've got the rough storyline written down before you forget and go off-track next when you work on it.
and yes, it has quite a sweet feel to it. though, lol @ the surname Peregrine(the song!!!) and instead of calling the man Traviston, I think Estel would be easier.
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 08:41:26 AM »
This seems to be a good story. :D

Hmmm, so that is where the names go....

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 11:03:08 PM »
Hm, Estel kinda sounds girly by itself though, heheh. Traviston is meh by itself, but "Traviston Estel" together seems just right to me for some reason.
But on the name issue, I've decided to change the title, since there's apparently already a book called Silent Melody.

Here are the choices:

Which one? :o

P.S. If you're a guy, would that title interest you? Or is it too girly or whatnot? Be honest. :P

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:32:30 AM »
Oh, and of course, there will be some cameo characters from Quintessence (AKA Wirt, Nairyn and Marc/Mark).

By the way, I think I'm going to use the same colour-theme palette as Quintessence for it; think that's okay? It'll save a lot of work and I think the current Quintessence scheme is fairly easy on the eyes.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Re: Lyra's Melody - The Song She Whispered to Me
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 02:22:00 AM »
Triple post.  :'(

I settled with Lyra's Melody - flows much better than Medley it seems. The map style/colour scheme will be the same as Quintessence.

Here are Ralle and Lyra:

:reivsmile:

Rayen

• is on an emotional roller-coaster.
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 03:02:06 AM »
The scene looks nice - seems it'll be promising. :) One little thing bothers me a bit about it, though. I think it's Lyra's head, it seems a bit too far to the right. Is her head supposed to be moved in slightly toward Ralle so she's kind of facing him?

And indeed, "Lyra's Melody" sounds a lot better than "Medley."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:04:49 AM by Rayen »

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 03:05:57 AM »
Yep, her head's supposed to be somewhat turned. I can see how it can seem awkward when you look at it that way though. o: Hm.

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 08:34:24 AM »
How come you always inspire me...? :D this idea is really nice, and you gave me another I'll try to write (not really related to this, though, I'm just associating :P)
Since you already decided about the title, I won't suggest anything, but actually the "medley" thing made me laugh... so I think melody is way better. (It can be because I'm a girl, though... ^^)
As for the soundtrack... I've been wanting to ask you for ages, what program do you use? I have a few different ones, but none of them has this woman-humming tone (I think it's the same you used in the Lullaby, am I right?) but it really sounds good... (yeah, I'm once again at the topic of envying you because you can write good music while I cannot -.- don't mind me)
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 02:53:27 PM »
Weren't there any other ideas???
A melody of past/tears/pain(whatever that's associated closer to the melody&story) - the song she whispered to me.

or something like that. >< ah whatever.

nvm, either way it looks good I suppose.

Rayen

• is on an emotional roller-coaster.
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 03:27:08 PM »
Weren't there any other ideas???
A melody of past/tears/pain(whatever that's associated closer to the melody&story) - the song she whispered to me.

Those words kind of gives the title a negative feel. o_o If it were up to me, I would've chosen a synonym to replace a word; such as "Euphony" for "Melody" or "Quiet" - albeit a little weak in comparison - for "Silent."

In any case, it sounds fine as it is, Reives. o:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:14:16 PM by Rayen »

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 04:07:32 PM »
Oh, this looks really nice. The story seems to be fairytale-ish, but still somehow like a story in a novel.
I like the basic story and will listen to the soundtrack samples soon.
What I most like is the first screenshot. It creates a 'lighter' Quintessence atmosphere.

~~~

I’ll say more to this topic later.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 11:36:07 PM »
@Ronnie:
Glad so. :~ How come "Medley" was funny though? Inside joke or?
As for the program, I use Finale 2007 for writing notes, and for sound library to play the score I use Garritan Personal Orchestra and East West Quantum Leap libraries.

@Sora:
Lol, no offense but those are seriously emo and imo cheesy. :P It's not a dark story, it's more so a fairytale.

@Rayen:
Ooh, I never knew Euphony was a word. A pretty talented RMXP pixel artist used the alias Euphony, heheh; always thought it was just a name.

@Squall:
Yeah, it'll probably turn out like a lighter Quintessence. But I'm planning to have more game-play in there, in the aspect of the typical dungeons and etc. for time drain. 

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 11:58:19 PM »
Ralle Peregrine was a child, a particular song/melody has been stuck in his head. As he grew up, he picked up guitar solely to be able to accompany that melody which would be "sang" to him whenever he closes his eyes.

Lyra Shire is Ralle's childhood sweetheart, and she was born deaf. Ralle has written many songs for her through the years, but she could hear none of them.
YOU WANT THESE 2 TO GO THROUGH A DUNGEON!!!??? maybe traviston can hold his own...but you want a 'bard' and a deaf girl to fight...through a dungeon...

Reives, edit it. now. no dungeons.

@ above post: ok I guess it is...but it sounds kinda nice.