Author Topic: Skydiving  (Read 2452 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Skydiving
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:04:53 PM »
I came across a skydiving club at my university and did some research; and now I'm kinda tempted to. D: It's like one of those things that you gotta do at least once in your life time. Rather expensive though of course; $350-$400 for the first dive and then like $100-200 per dive after.

Something that surprised me was that apparently it doesn't feel like a roller coaster where you feel that pull/stomach-drag feeling, but rather just "floaty" like in water, with lots of air against you.  :-*

Anyone ever thought of trying it sometimes?

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Skydiving
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 12:16:25 AM »
Thought of this at least once or more but decided against it because I think I would puke...  :'( and I can't imagine being in my right mind and jumping out of a plane.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:17:59 AM »
But apparently it's not stomach-turning! :o That's what surprised me. Apparently it just feels like floating serenely with wind blowing against ya, because once you're at terminal speed there's no acceleration (which is where the sick feeling comes from for roller coasters and etc.).

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 12:26:37 AM »
Actually, if it's not like a roller coaster I'm not terribly interested. Plus, my dad would have a heart attack.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 12:34:52 AM »
Oh the pavement... thats the next step if your parachute doesn't work (Aim for the water!).

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 12:38:27 AM »
There's a second backup parachute. c: I think for the first dive, it's now mandatory for you to be with two instructors who hold onto you and pull your parachute for you. Which is kinda lame, but hey, less chance of splat for me.  :reivsmile:

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 12:41:16 AM »
But if you do die remember

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 04:33:36 PM »
Sounds fun, but I'm not going to do it anyhow D: It interests me, just not enough for me to take that challenge... and pay that outrageous fee ><

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 11:17:05 PM »
I wanna do a HALO jump :)

For anyone who doesn't know what that is.
(High Altitude Low Opening)
This quote will be legend

Cettoto

• Tier 4
  • Shall we continue to climb?
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 05:53:30 PM »
I highly reccomend it. It was an experience that I will most likely never forget, save Alzheimers or some freak amnesia accident.

I have my first dive at the age of 16 in some town (I forget the name, the certificate is somewhere...) in Sweden. My father lives in Sweden, and as my gift for visiting for the very first time, I was able to do a tandem jump my final day of visiting. Strangely enough, while being trained, I felt no feelings of nervousness, only excitement.

The actual jump itself was amazing. The pinnacle of the experience, in my oppinion. As a tandem jumper, I had a trained Swede strapped to my back, whom proceeded to have us both sit on the edge of the very tiny plane, our feet dangling a good 1,600 feet in the air. He yelled "JUMP!" And I did, which made my heart follow suit.

We fell for what seemed like a hour, we passed through rainclouds that hit my face... hard. But I could care less, I could probably have broken my legs and not cared. I was videotaped by another jumper - a result of the picture above. He had me pull the parachute, which was awesome (they usually don't, but he could tell I wasn't frozen stiff), and he proceeded to flip us around in the air a few times before the abnormally fast wind slid us through the wet grass.

Life experience rating: 10/10. It was worth all 150 Krowns.

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 10:45:31 PM »
I would never think of it. I have a phobia on falling from such heights. And besides, my family and friends would disapprove if ever I would want to...

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 12:39:37 AM »
Wow, that's awesome Cetto, I'm jealous! o: That's cool that he let you pull the chute, I heard it rarely happens on first few jumps too.

How does it feel to have raincloud hit on your face? Is it just like raining, or more impactful? And also, how long approx. did you spend freefalling and how long drifting with the parachute open?

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 12:43:52 AM »
Wow! Cettoto you are one daring/extreme person!

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 11:42:56 AM »
>_> I have fear of heights, I doubt I'd ever skydive.
Though, seems like you had fun, so that's a good thing.
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Cettoto

• Tier 4
  • Shall we continue to climb?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 12:11:50 AM »
Well, I have the video, but I'm too lazy to watch it to time it. I think the fall altogether was about four to five minutes, without the chute... about two to two and a half. It's so hard to remember, because all that new sensation gives you time distortion, so I can't remember if it was longer or shorter than it actually was: it changes.

The raincloud, in a nutshell, hurt - or at least I think it hurt. It wasn't too hard, just a kind of 'pins and needles' sensation with a short sting. But it was obviously not one of my cares while diving to the ground.

They let me pull it because I've had some training in America - though none of it pertained to parachutes, I knew general plane functions - the Swedish staff was very cooperative and fun, all within my not-so-small comfort zone.