Author Topic: [Now Available] Do You Remember My Lullaby  (Read 51604 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
[Now Available] Do You Remember My Lullaby
« on: December 21, 2008, 03:29:43 PM »
Click Me: Sample from OST - listen while reading thread if ya want. :)

Download: Click me. (<15mb)
[*Note: Please do NOT delete the game folder after you finish, and check back to the thread a few days later.]

Lullaby is a short simple story that takes time during the holiday seasons. No tension, nothing epic, and barely any dialogues - It is a short story told through a complete cut-scene in the form of a semi-music video with its original soundtrack (hence please play with sound on only). The short story itself is non-interactive, and took about 10 times the effort of The Mirror Lied to make. It does perhaps start off a bit slow though, so my apologies, and please hang on.

Due to the shortness and nature of the project, I find it unfit to summarize the story and the like, as you can basically do it in one line and take the whole story away. So if you got a moment to spare, give it a try for what its size and length is worth - but after you finish, do not delete your game folder and check back a few days later.

Oh, just a note on the scene selector,

Each scene will only become selectable once you've played through the respective scene once in normal sequence, so they won't work the first time you open it.

Anyhow, that's that.

Thank you very much for your time in advance, and hope you guys are having a fun holiday season!  :kardiansmile:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:49:35 AM by Question Mark? »

Valtier

• Tier 5
  • Apathy taken to an artform
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
Re: [Now Available] Do You Remember My Lullaby
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 04:06:45 PM »
Interesting style to do a "minimovie" in.  It meshes well.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:14:24 PM »
Heheh, I am working on a "Director's Commentary" at the moment for kicks. :P The password given at the credit is actually for that, but it's not even done yet.

Muffin

• is a girl, likes ribbons in his hair, and wants to kiss all the boys!
  • Tier 7
  • AY YO!!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »
I finished It...
Oh, and why are save files named after quintessence characters family names?
spoilers from the middle of the story
Spoiler: show
Is this house that her ex-husband (he is her ex-husband) lives In from 'The Mirror Lied'..?

If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything can ever be this good again
The only thing i'll ever ask of you, you gotta promise not to stop when i say when..

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 04:23:22 PM »
That's a secret for now.  ;) You'll see.
As for the house - the dining room and daughter's bedroom are from The Mirror Lied, with small changes. Good catch.

Speedpaws

• Tier 2
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 04:25:03 PM »
Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! The way you told the story without many words, but you still knew what was going on, was ingenious. And you told the story well with amazing graphics and music. Everything meshed incredibly well. The ending was expected, but that just made the moment a lot better because you can see where it's going to lead.

Wow, I would rate this project 5 out of 5 stars.

This piece was perfect in every way. Something an RMXP mini movie should be.

Muffin

• is a girl, likes ribbons in his hair, and wants to kiss all the boys!
  • Tier 7
  • AY YO!!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:26:11 PM »
but after you finish, do not delete your game folder and check back a few days later.
Connected to the family names?..
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything can ever be this good again
The only thing i'll ever ask of you, you gotta promise not to stop when i say when..

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 04:38:38 PM »
Somewhat. Just wait.

And again, thanks Speedpaws.  :reivsmile: Glad ya enjoyed it so.

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »
about 23:00 PM: Went to bed, turned on my PSP.
0:17 AM: Stopped playing, checked the internet for news.
0:19 AM: Saw a new topic in the Quintessence forum.
0:21 AM: Got up and dressed.
0:22 AM: Turned on my PC.
0:27 AM: Downloading… 49 seconds left. 240KB/s

Sorry for offtopic, I will reply later.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 06:50:24 PM »
Sure, looking forward to it!  :reivsmile:

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »

This was the first game of this kind I played – if I can call it a game. I did not even see a movie like this.
Do You Remember My Lullaby is a very special interactive show. There was nothing epic, it was a day in the life of a normal person.
You told a story without many words. This story could have been a written short story. It is not, this is better.
You managed to create emotions by telling a short story in a beautiful way with wonderful music.
I can just repeat whot others said: Everything meshed perfectly well.
Thank you for this wonderful, short story.

I’m curious about the family names and the password.  :reivsmile:

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 07:39:27 PM »
Thanks Squall, glad ya enjoyed it. And aye, I wanted to show something that is very insignificant and every-day-esque, yet is often missed by many during the holiday seasons when most are being bombarded with cheers.

The password is actually for a very detailed Director's Commentary that's coming in the near future.

As for the family name files. . . You'll see. c: Just check back when I announce something about it.

P.S.
If anyone finds out about it, feel free to brag here, but don't say what it is or how to get to it. ;) 

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 08:35:01 PM »
Ah sure, thanks in advance then. The MYSTERIOUS THINGS they are talking about are actually files generated after you play through the game once (or as you play through it). They have two purposes; one is as a indicator of how far you've watched, for the scene selector to activate.

And the other. . . ;) If anyone finds out before I tell of it, please don't spoil - you can brag that you found out but that's it!

Edit: Oh and the website is actually quintessence-tbv.com/Lullaby.html  <-forgot to add the .html on the thing. :x Ugh
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 08:39:48 PM by Reives »

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 09:04:04 PM »
I wonder what happens next....

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 09:09:30 PM »
Alright, we, members, finally get to watch it after a week of wait  :reivsmile:!

What I liked
  • Effects are very well-used for an RMXP creation. Almost movie like. What I liked most is how the sprites feel alive, not like just stand still while having others do the actions trough dialogues or w/e. Even though some are faceless, I think?
  • For the above point, the best certainly was the mother's though, which you actually managed to animate with those half-transparent thoughts.
  • While not important for someone who just stumbles across this, I like the consistency of your story telling style. Naturally, you can't do otherwise, since you are you, but it has it's feel similar to that of Quintessence. With how cutscenes are managed, backflashes, and all.
  • Usually when commercial games does this, it can look rather odd (Zelda on wii), but you really managed to do the speechless main character well. Really well. That's nice.
  • The music sets the game as always.

Other comments
  • I was really surprised when I saw I had to press a button to make text advance. I was sure it was a video that I could just sit back & watch. Not that it matters much, but I guess that you are using Dubealex's AMS, so you can use /~ that auto closes the message box.
  • Why is a toilet next to the bed? The batch alright, but I can't recall seeing a toilet in a bedroom. (Yes, I know they are poor, but this is awkward).
  • The double door really looks weird. Since you're not opening them anyway you could probably make them wider. The black line in the middle accentuates the RTP door editing.
  • Sometimes it's hard to differentiate flashback or not, since the game is sort of white/desaturated to begin with and they are of similar length. Flashbacks should be a tad shorter.

Again, congratulations for this superb and unique project! It will be quite a competiton indeed (although I wouldn't feel bad loosing to that  :vikonsmile:).

Spoiler: Note • show

The To Realize is rather obvious :P.