Author Topic: [Children of Gods] Birth of a Hero  (Read 1773 times)

HarryE

• Tier 5
  • Fall in a more hard-boiled manner
  • Current Mood: happy happy
[Children of Gods] Birth of a Hero
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »
So, I've been writing a short story based around my game, [Children of Gods] The Legacy of Zagolth. For those of you who don't know about it, here's a short paragraph to explain it.

Spoiler: Backstory • show
Everyone knew the tale of Antoinne Ertonsey. During the reign of Zagolth, a dark, evil magician, the world had existed not as country but as a series of small lands. After Zagolth had fallen, Antoinne Ertonsey had gathered all the rulers of these lands and united them under one flag, the flag of Grand Haven. Several other lands did the same, such as the Kingdom of the Hogs, San Halso. San Halso’s borders cut off a part of Grand Haven from the rest of the Kingdom. This small part went under the name of Alenta.

Here's the actual story itself. As I say, it's based around my game, and takes place twenty-three years before the game starts. This is a side project, and if anyone can provide some helpful feedback or pointers, then they are more than welcome.

I'll be releasing it in parts this time to make it easier for you to read, but a full version of it can be found at RMXP.org. And also, because of the 20000 character restriction here  :nds:
Thankyou.

Christopher looked down at the mess. How had it come to this? This was their warning to him, and it only said one thing, ‘We’re coming for you,’

His brother in-law’s cold blue eyes stared up at the ceiling, completely motionless. The blood had dried around him. Deun only knew how long he had been like this. Andrew Resean had lived a perfectly innocent life. He never went anywhere near the life Christopher had found himself in. How could his life have ended like this?

Christopher looked up at his wife, Jane. She hadn’t moved since she saw the body. She was just standing in the doorway, her teary eyes staring at her brother on the floor and her sleek, black hair fallen across her face. Christopher closed Andrew’s eyes and then moved over to his wife. His stomach felt as if there was a heavy rock at the bottom of it. He knew that this was all his fault. If it weren’t for him, Andrew would still be alive.

If it weren’t for him, he, Jane and their unborn child would not be running for their lives.

Christopher looked down at Jane’s body, and ran his hand over the lump in her stomach. How could this baby she was carrying come into the world knowing what his father was responsible for? How this devastation had been his fault?

Jane pushed away from the door, leaving Christopher’s hand suspended in the air. She walked quickly down the corridor, and out of the front door.

“Jane, no!”

Jane span round, “Don’t you--”

Part of the doorframe shattered into splinters. Christopher dashed forward, grabbed Jane’s hand and ran down the street as fast as he could.

On the other side, a tall man with long, blonde hair stepped out of a doorway. He was brooding and handsome and had a great sense of smugness about him. He raised his weapon again and took aim. A window smashed just above Christopher and Jane’s head, just as they ducked into an alleyway. The attacker smiled and crossed over to the alley’s entrance. They were sitting ducks. He stood in the mouth of the alley and saw the silhouette of the couple as they dashed towards the other end. Took aim once again. He took a second to marvel at the weapon, nobody but he and his brethren even knew a weapon like this existed. He pulled the trigger, and a bullet shot out of the barrel.

Christopher screamed as searing pain sturck his right shoulder and shot all round his body. He lost all his bearings. He couldn’t feel the ground beneath his feet. All he was aware of was this pain all over his body. He could hardly feel the boot that had rolled him over onto his back.

The attacker simply stood over him. Christopher gathered all of the strength in his body enough to open his eyes. He looked up at the tall figure. He recognised this man. Before this dilemma he thought they could be considered friends. But now, Scott Harley clearly served a higher purpose.

Scott kneeled down next to Christopher, tutting under his breath, “Chrissy, Chrissy, Chrissy,” he said, mockingly, “Whenever will you learn? You know none of this,” he circled the air with the barrel of his gun, “had to happen if it weren’t for you,”

“I can’t… Do this anymore,” Christopher managed to force through his lips.

“Ooh, I know, I know,” said Scott in mocking sympathy, “But there is a problem, Chrissy,” he drooped his lower lip and widened his eyes, “Because you see, you’ve been working with us for a long time, Chrissy,” he tapped Christopher’s temple with the tip of his gun, “You know all our secrets and our plans don’t you? And we simply can’t run the risk of you running around telling all of your little chums about our games, can we?”

“Then shoot me now! Put an end to all this! Then I can’t talk” breathed Christopher, sweating and concentrating on fighting past the pain.

“Ooh, can’t do that, Chrissy, you’re part of the family,” said Scott. He grabbed Christopher’s cheek and waggled it, “Eh?” Scott looked at his fingers, which were covered in Christopher’s sweat. He rubbed them on the ground to clean them.

“What about my family?” growled Christopher, “What about Andrew?”

“Well, if you’re going to tear up our family, it’s only fair we tear up yours,” said Scott calmly, still rubbing his fingers, “And daddy wants to see you, Christopher,” Scott’s expression changed, suddenly, and he looked angry now. He pressed the barrel of his gun against Christopher’s cheek, “If you don’t make you own way back, Christopher, we’ll kill everyone you love and care for, one by one, day by day, until there’s no-one left, and then we’ll kill you, which we really don’t want to do, Christopher,” He pointed his gun at Jane, who was standing with her back to the wall, in shocked silence, “We’ll start with her, shall we?” said Scott. He stood up and paced towards her.

“No!” said Christopher.

“Then tomorrow you will be at the Tower at midday without fail!” Scott shouted, and turned back to Jane, “Or else it’s two for the price of one!” he lowered his gun to point at Jane’s abdomen, “How’s it doing?” he sneered. Jane stared angrily back at him.

Scott lowered his gun, gave one quick glace back at Christopher and walked out of the alley.

“You won’t get away with this!” screamed Jane after him, “You and the rest of your scum won’t last forever!” Scott stopped dead in his tracks, “Your organisation will fall, you--”

She stopped. Scott had paced back to her and was pushing the barrel of his gun into her forehead, visibly shaking with rage.

“Do you know who we are?!” he screamed, Jane’s skin whitening where the barrel was pressing into her, “Do you know who we are?! Tell her, Chris!” Chris said nothing, “Tell her or I’ll kill her! Tell her!”

“The Armadros…” Christopher managed.

“The Armadros!” shouted Scott. He grabbed Jane by the throat with his free hand, “And we are invincible! So you see, my lovely, we will never die! We’ve lasted for over a thousand years, and we’ll last until the end of time!” he released his grip and paced out of the passage into the night.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:52:50 AM by Question Mark? »

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
Re: [Children of Gods] Birth of a Hero
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
o.0 nice story.
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

HarryE

• Tier 5
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 02:54:14 AM »

The Sun rose over Markava, that capital city of Alenta. The city was surprisingly calm today, considering the amounts of crime for which it was renowned. In fact the only sign of aggression was outside one of the few churches in the city.

“You’re in no state to leave!” protested cleric Larson, “It’s madness!”

“We have to,” said Jane. She was holding Christopher’s free arm. His right arm where he had been shot was now in a sling, and he was very pale.

“He’s lost a lot of blood, my lady, and he needs rest!” said Larson desperately, “And you yourself are in no fit state! You are due any day now!”

This was true. Jane was a week overdue with her child as it was, “I’m sorry, Larson, but we have now choice. We have to get out of this city, out of Alenta as soon as possible. We’re not safe as long as we’re still within reach of the-- Christopher!”

Christopher had toppled over onto the pavement, “You see?” said Larson. He stepped forward and pulled Christopher to his feet, “Come on. Upsidaisy,”

Larson dragged Christopher through the church, and into the infirmary. Once Larson and Jane had got Christopher in a bed, they sat down either side. Several minutes passed when no-one said anything. Larson eventually broke the silence.

“What are you running from, Jane?”

Jane shut her eyes. She didn’t know if she should tell Larson what had happened. But, Larson had been looking after her during her pregnancy and had taken care of both her and Christopher since they had moved to Alenta. And besides, they were putting his life on the line by just being there. They couldn’t put him through this and not give him an explanation.

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 04:50:22 AM »
o.0 for the 1st line, maybe change it to "in fact the only sign of trouble was..."? for some reason aggression sounds a little awkward. Though trouble also seems to be a little incorrect.

HarryE

• Tier 5
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 06:56:39 AM »
“Here, take it,”

Christopher looked at the sword that was being held in front of him. He’d been trained how to use it, but he had never expected to use it. He looked up into Scott’s face.

“Come on, mate. You knew this day was coming,”

Christopher took the blade. It was daunting to think he’d have to use it soon. He turned and got out of the carriage, in which he’d been riding in. His partner got out the other side. His name was Arthur McCastro, a big, strong man. The McCastro’s were just one of the families that had a large part in the Armadro Clan.

They were currently on the outskirts of the city. In this deserted area, Robert Hastings had decided to build his home, but had borrowed money from the Armadros to do so. He was expecting to pay the money back fine until he lost his job. Now he was late with his pay, and Scott had decided that he was bored of waiting.

Christopher was feeling sick. He knew what was about to happen. He vaguely followed McCastro into the hut, everything seemed to be happening so fast to him. He found himself inside the man’s house, and saw him trying to hide behind the furniture. McCastro was already talking to him. Christopher shook his head and tried to concentrate.

“…we do need as much money as we can get, you see, Bobby? We need the money for the Tower…”

“But it’s not my fault!”

“You’re never going to get that money back, are you, Bob?” said McCastro, plainly. It was true. Bob couldn’t get the money back, now. He could either magically produce a sack of gold or die now.

McCastro pulled Bob out of his cover, and pushed him to his knees in the middle of the room. McCastro jerked his head to motion for Chris to come over. Chris stood next to the two men, his sword by his side. McCastro looked annoyed and rested Christopher’s sword on Robert’s neck for him. McCastro held the crying man in place and nodded to Christopher. He looked down at his hands, holding the sword, ready for the killing blow.

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 07:01:15 AM »
just a question, do you intend to double/triple etc. post? cos if so, I'll stop posting and wait for this to end before I comment.

HarryE

• Tier 5
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 04:53:03 AM »
When Jane had finished, there was silence in the infirmary once again. Larson looked very concerned.

“You always told me that Christopher was a blacksmith,” said Larson.

Jane looked at the ground. For all the time they had known Larson, they had never told him that Christopher worked for the Armadros. How could they have told this clergyman that he worked within a crime syndicate?

“I’m sorry,” said Jane.

Larson leaned over the bed and put his hand on Jane’s lap, “You should have told me,”

Jane looked up at Larson. He smiled, “My dear, everyone in this city winds up working with or for the Armadros for one reason of another.”

“Even you?”

“Sometimes… Quite often they come to me requiring treatment after some battle or other they’ve had. I can’t deny them, my dear, or I’ll be killed,” he looked down at Christopher, who was twitching in his sleep, “It’s just unfortunate that your husband ended up so deep in their affairs,”

He leant back in his chair and put his hand to his chin, “All this just because he wouldn’t kill Bob Hastings?”

Jane nodded.

Larson sighed, “Of course they killed him anyway, you know. It’s just the principle, now,”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you said Christopher ran away after that. He deserted the Armadros, and he can’t get away with that,”

“Are they really that cruel?” asked Jane, astounded.

“Alas, yes,” said Larson, “Do you know how much money Bobby owed them?” Jane shook her head, “He only needed the thatch! All the rest he made from the trees he’d cut down in the forest!”

“By Deun…” muttered Jane.

“The Tower at midday you say?” asked Larson. He looked at the clock on the wall. It was seven-thirty. Larson rubbed his chin again, “Of all the things in the world, that thing is what puzzles me the most,”

The Tower was the Armadro’s main headquarters, and had been there for as long as anyone could remember. It stood in the centre of the city, and it was rumoured that this was because the city had been built around it. The city’s inhabitants often joked that it made Markava look like a massive sundial. The Tower itself was enormous in size, over 1000 feet tall and 400 feet wide. It stood in the centre of a courtyard of what looked like a palace, which had clearly been built around it. The palace was where the Armadros were based, still falling under the title of ‘The Tower’ due to its proximity. Nobody lived in the Tower itself, it seemed. There were no windows and the only signs of life were workmen walking around on walkways and scaffolding around it. It was constantly being worked on, even though the outside of the Tower seemed complete. Nobody seemed to know what went on inside the Tower, but from the whispers that he’d heard they were building a ‘Beacon’ of sorts. He didn’t understand it now, either.

“Will he go to them?” asked Larson.

Jane had been asking herself the same question. She didn’t know whether Christopher would go to them to save his family, or hold his morals and run. She honestly couldn’t tell.

But there was a feeling deep down inside of her that told she knew, really.

Christopher began to stir. Larson took a cloth from the bedside, dipped it in a bucket of water and began dabbing Christopher’s forehead, “Ssh, you need to rest,”

“N-no…” he mumbled, “What time is it?”

“You’ve got ages yet, don’t worry,” said Larson. Christopher batted away his hand and sat up. He sat rubbing his head for a while.

“I’d love a cup of tea,” he managed eventually.