Author Topic: Cure for AIDS?  (Read 2848 times)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Cure for AIDS?
« on: December 05, 2008, 09:42:21 PM »
Doctors in Berlin think that a patient who received a bone marrow transplant, may have been cured of Aids.

Here is the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081113/ap_on_he_me/eu_med_aids_treatment;_ylt=AlfxNIUmkkRjFvIRHWZg4D2s0NUE

Do you think it's a step in the right direction? Or should another route be taken?

I think it's a good discovery. I just think the doctors should keep looking into another way of treatment with it, since the patient had to endure all the radiation which could be fatal.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Re: Cure for AIDS?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 11:00:04 PM »
That's interesting. Hope they get somewhere with it, of course. But it seems that I've came across articles that claim ___ is anticipating some good news about the cure every now and then, and never hear any affirmation on them, so I'm a little skeptical now. But by all means, good luck to them and God bless if they succeed.

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 11:51:04 PM »
actually, AIDS is just supposed to be the final stage caused by the HIV.
The irony is that you can't exactly cure a 'stage'.
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 02:10:29 AM »
actually, AIDS is just supposed to be the final stage caused by the HIV.
The irony is that you can't exactly cure a 'stage'.

Theres a first time for everything, I keep saying that in cases such as this. If they did cure him of aids, if they didn't well we can dream can't we?

Stardale

• Tier 7
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 07:26:44 AM »
Well, I also definitely think this is a good direction. How can it not be? Yes it's costly/possible fatal, but any new medical advance tends to be very expensive/not exactly safe at first. I mean, the first blood transfusions tended to kill people because no one knew about ABO blood types.(because there is no such blood type as ABO)

Hmm??

Though, it's better to be cautiously optimistic because it's not a sure sign the HIV is totally gone. It could have gone into recession?( i think that's the right word)

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »
Or maybe it just improves the immunity of the body back for a short while cos the new blood transfused in is normal rather than afflicted by HIV.

Stardale

• Tier 7
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 09:19:20 PM »
Well, AIDS already progressively disables a person's immune system anyway, so it's a case of benefits outweighing the consequences. From what I understand of the article, they're essentially treating the AIDS patient like they would a patient with leukemia. In a patient with leukemia, they have to destroy all the cells that are dysfunctional (or infected, in AIDS cases) and then replace them with healthy cells. Patients with leukemia who undergo this kind of therapy are often given drugs to help resist infection, as well, though I can't remember what the standard procedure is, because all their leukocytes (white blood cells) are pretty much gone.

Of course, like what I mentioned, it may not be fully cured. It only takes one affected cell to proliferate again to bring the disease state back. And, of course, there's always the risk of the patient's body rejecting the bone marrow transplant.

As for the hormone treatment...what do you mean by that? Do you mean affecting the genes so that hormones can be produced better...or something? hmmm?

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 12:39:48 AM »
I correct myself: definition from wiki is

Acquired immune deficiency syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a set of symptoms and infections resulting from the damage to the human immune system caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
HIV affects nearly every organ system.
Blood transfusion provides a little 'immunity' to diseases, hence it helps to delay death caused by AIDS, but probably it's only a temporary solution. Bone marrow transplant also doesn't seem to be enough to cure HIV. But it might be possible to temporary cure AIDS(which will return after awhile when the human immune system breaks down again)

and AIDS does not disable a person's immune system. AIDS is a set of symptoms and infections that causes death because the person's immune system is damaged.

Edit: Some facts to note on AIDS:
Disease Staging System
    * Stage I: HIV infection is asymptomatic and not categorized as AIDS
    * Stage II: includes minor mucocutaneous manifestations and recurrent upper respiratory tract infections
    * Stage III: includes unexplained chronic diarrhea for longer than a month, severe bacterial infections and pulmonary tuberculosis
    * Stage IV: includes toxoplasmosis of the brain, candidiasis of the esophagus, trachea, bronchi or lungs and Kaposi's sarcoma; these diseases are indicators of AIDS.
The diagnosis of AIDS in a person infected with HIV is based on the presence of certain signs or symptoms.
Treatment of AIDS:
There is currently no vaccine or cure for HIV or AIDS. The only known methods of prevention are based on avoiding exposure to the virus or, failing that, an antiretroviral treatment directly after a highly significant exposure, called post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP).[95] PEP has a very demanding four week schedule of dosage. It also has very unpleasant side effects including diarrhea, malaise, nausea and fatigue.[96]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:48:56 AM by soranokira »