Author Topic: Why are there no serious space sci fi shows on television?  (Read 752 times)

N7Soldier11

• Tier 2
Why are there no serious space sci fi shows on television?
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:38:19 PM »
I enjoyed all three seasons of The Expanse and I intent to watch it on Amazon but I find it sad that there is no big space opera on TV now.

What happened? Have we lost interest in space? Have we become too cynical for the future?

I have heard people complain that The Expanse is too slow and lacks a "sense of wonder".

If space opera is to return to TV does it need ridiculous things like space fighters and humanoid aliens?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:42:03 PM by N7Soldier11 »

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Why are there no serious space sci fi shows on television?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 12:45:37 PM »
Some random reasons I can think of:

1) We had a big hype for space when the first moon landing was, greatly broadening the audience at that time for anything space-related

2) the TV is more and more a tool for an older demographic, so you are more likely to find sci-fi in other mediums (games, streaming services and such)

3) (a bit similar to 1) the novelty of space-travel has faded a bit, so other topics of science-fiction are currently more popular
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

chilakiller

• Tier 2
  • Video game designer, founder of Imertual
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: 545014394053066752
  • Twitter: FJavierRayon
Re: Why are there no serious space sci fi shows on television?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 01:51:46 PM »
Perhaps not enough people are pitching strong projects to Netflix and others.

For example, fantasy series were not as strong until Game of Thrones. That was the result of the showrunners, Daniel & Dan who were fans of the books, they pitched to both the book series' author and HBO. They were entrepreneurs joining the pieces to make the series come true. My belief is that the same could happen with Sci-fi. With Netflix especially, there are so many niches, and it seems that they give a lot of creative freedom.

On the other hand, Scifi can be expensive. But I believe if Game of Thrones has pioneered wildly expensive episodes, there's a good precedents for giving enough money to the right story.

At my startup Imertual we are thinking of making a TV series set in the universe of our video game. It's a project in the future. First we will launch the tabletop game, then the video game, and finally the tv series. We will gradually grow an audience that can come with us and enjoy the ride.