Author Topic: Amaretto Sour, hold the Amaretto  (Read 1605 times)

XG417

• Tier 1
Amaretto Sour, hold the Amaretto
« on: January 15, 2018, 02:12:16 AM »
I've been wondering about this particular part. Within the void memories that Watts fell into, we discover the source of Colin's invisible ink knowledge - Sofia apparently taught him this one simple trick during their honeymoon (spies hate her). Neil wonders why that part wasn't show during the regular memory playback, and I did too.
Now let's go back to Act 2, where Neil finds Sofia in the attic, looking at the green book. It looks like she still do not know its significance and asks for him to tell her anything that might provide answers to this puzzle.

The question now is, why couldn't she unlock that book's secrets if she was the one that taught Colin about the Lemon Juice?

Seems to me there are some explanations for this, but can't say for sure.
a) It was a fabricated memory to give Neil answers for the Book's secrets (although Neil already made this deduction through his little chat with Potato). If this was so, then the follow-up question would be "Who did the fabrication"? Was it Faye, or Colin himself?
b) That part was deliberately omitted by Colin during regular playback so the book's secrets would not be revealed before the right time, but this does not make sense to me. Colin knows he's about to die and that undergoing the procedure means he probably won't be waking up anymore, so there couldn't be a better time to reveal this fact than the first time they visited that particular memory. Also, this explanation assumes that this is what happened in reality, but somehow Old Sofia's none the wiser. Did she somehow forget the lemon juice trick? That would make a bit of sense.

What do you guys think was the real answer to this question? Got any other explanations for this?

StarwindD6

• Tier 3
  • Everything's alright so long as the beacon shines
  • Current Mood: alright alright
Re: Amaretto Sour, hold the Amaretto
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
I've been wondering about this particular part. Within the void memories that Watts fell into, we discover the source of Colin's invisible ink knowledge - Sofia apparently taught him this one simple trick during their honeymoon (spies hate her). Neil wonders why that part wasn't show during the regular memory playback, and I did too.
Now let's go back to Act 2, where Neil finds Sofia in the attic, looking at the green book. It looks like she still do not know its significance and asks for him to tell her anything that might provide answers to this puzzle.

The question now is, why couldn't she unlock that book's secrets if she was the one that taught Colin about the Lemon Juice?

Seems to me there are some explanations for this, but can't say for sure.
a) It was a fabricated memory to give Neil answers for the Book's secrets (although Neil already made this deduction through his little chat with Potato). If this was so, then the follow-up question would be "Who did the fabrication"? Was it Faye, or Colin himself?
b) That part was deliberately omitted by Colin during regular playback so the book's secrets would not be revealed before the right time, but this does not make sense to me. Colin knows he's about to die and that undergoing the procedure means he probably won't be waking up anymore, so there couldn't be a better time to reveal this fact than the first time they visited that particular memory. Also, this explanation assumes that this is what happened in reality, but somehow Old Sofia's none the wiser. Did she somehow forget the lemon juice trick? That would make a bit of sense.

What do you guys think was the real answer to this question? Got any other explanations for this?

She only mentioned the invisible ink thing many, many years ago, and probably couldn't make the connection, and we can assume that Colin never told anybody about Faye/his writings that "create" Faye.

As for b I think Colin was pretty unsure at that point about just what he wants himself, just as he had been in real life. More specifically, he didn't know whether he wants to change what he's got and possibly leave Faye and/or Sophia or the memories he's had with them behind. This would explain Faye's appearance later on, because his subconsciousness went into the defensive (fearing that losing Faye/Sophia would take all the meaning from his life away and return him to loneliness) and the part that is Faye became active and took control because of Neil's tampering with the machine's firewall. This would also explain point b, and that Colin probably deliberately hid the scene because he's afraid and protective of his fictional relationship with Faye.