Author Topic: Question  (Read 1931 times)

KleberPF

• Tier 2
Question
« on: January 06, 2018, 07:11:27 PM »
Was River and Johnny's first encounter memory deleted by Eva?

LunarPenguin

• Tier 2
  • I am a human being.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 07:20:14 PM »
So I'm assuming you completed the game.  If not, then spoilers below:

Spoiler: show
No.  Their first encounter at the fair, where Johnny and River made the rabbit out of stars and the moon, she left alone.  It was their second encounter, where Johnny asked her to go to the movies with him, that Eva deleted, while moving River "somewhere else".
"FREE PONY RIDES, IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE!!!"

KleberPF

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought, but when Johnny meets her again at the end of the game he doesn't seem to recognize her, so this confused me a bit. So the reason he wants to go to the moon after the changes Eva made was because he wanted to see her again, right?

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 01:07:45 AM »
He doesn't recognize her because his first memory (the one Eva left undeleted) is in the damaged part of his memory that was affected by the betablockers. That means he knows on a subconscious level this is the girl he met at the fair, but it doesn't reach his conscious mind in such a way that he can say: "Hey, it's you! Remember me?"
Yes, that's why he wanted to go to the moon so much after Eva changed everything. He had a subconscious drive to go to that place where he'd meet someone very special, as they had promised long ago.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 01:29:49 AM »
I thought when Eva **Spoilers** saved Joey, he would have got a copy of the fair that he remembers. Maybe I was wrong.

LunarPenguin

• Tier 2
  • I am a human being.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 02:34:59 AM »
I thought when Eva **Spoilers** saved Joey, he would have got a copy of the fair that he remembers. Maybe I was wrong.

That's my understanding, too.  She saved Joey so the machine could give him access to the memories that were locked away as a result of the beta blockers, including his first meeting with River.  She then moved her elsewhere for their meeting at Johnny's school so that the machine's desire signal ("I wish to go to the moon") would have an effect, since he would then already want to regroup with River on the moon.
"FREE PONY RIDES, IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE!!!"

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 04:54:30 AM »
If she gave him a fresh copy of his memories, why didn't she say so? Because I've noticed that's one of the things Kan Gao pays attention to in his writing. Every time there's something he wants people to notice or understand, his characters draw attention to it. It's not just conveyed by context.
Also, if Johnny had really remembered everything again, he would (in his new life) just have gone to the meeting place in the next year. Okay, River wouldn't have been there after Eva moved her. But we didn't see him go and wait in vain, right? He never even tried, so he didn't remember consciously.
And even if, for some reason, he had decided to skip the meeting and train for an astronaut's career instead, he would have known who River is once they met at NASA. That was the thing that puzzled OP after all.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 05:02:15 AM by Sun »

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 05:09:55 AM »
Addition:
The memories didn't need to be repaired for Johnny to remember his wish. After all, he already had this wish when he first contacted SigCorp. He had always subconsciously remembered their meeting and promise. He just never understood why he suddenly felt this urge to go to the moon after his wife's death.