Author Topic: Colin vs. Johnny  (Read 1284 times)

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Colin vs. Johnny
« on: December 16, 2017, 02:31:17 AM »
I posted this on steam forums and I will post it here as well.

Which patient did you like more? I think I will choose Colin, he had such a beautiful mind, just like that movie with the same name, which tells the story of John Nash, a mathematic genius. They basically had the same story, both growing conscious of the fakeness of their imaginary friends, etc. Yeah, I really related to Colin more. Especially on the loneliness part, and the concept of "growing up" and letting go of certain things. And he was literally like one in a million type of people. It was absolutely genius. Just like Neil said, he didn't need them at all. It made me wish I had a brain like he does, it seriously made me. My only complaint was I wish he "reunited" with Faye way earlier than his last memory on the balcony. He definitely needed that earlier. Because from the way I see it, that was the thing that made him unhappy for the second half of his life, losing that light of his. Me, I'm personally someone who hardly finds any motivation to do anything in myself. Even if I want something passionately. But Colin on the other hand, basically generated a motivation that didn't even exist before. I mean, there was literally no reason for him to become a pilot if it wasn't for his wild mind. Doesn't that sound so fascinating?

I don't mean I didnt like Johnny or his issues, but I don't know, his character really felt more boring and dull in comparison, maybe it was because River's personality had rubbed on him after spending so much time together.
Not only that but Colin was funny, and besides his interesting mind, he had a great sense of humor too. Well with Johnny, I mean I like Johnny, but the issue is related more with River I guess. I mean River was so hard to understand and to follow that was the whole thing that kept the plot together. Like some people said, it was kinda pretentious. And John for some reason went with it. But still, I love To The Moon still to this day ofcourse, but I think I hold FP closer to my heart.
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

Multiuniverse

• Tier 2
  • The Chronicler of The Winds
  • Current Mood: sad sad
Re: Colin vs. Johnny
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 03:12:55 AM »
I posted this on steam forums and I will post it here as well.

Which patient did you like more? I think I will choose Colin, he had such a beautiful mind, just like that movie with the same name, which tells the story of John Nash, a mathematic genius. They basically had the same story, both growing conscious of the fakeness of their imaginary friends, etc. Yeah, I really related to Colin more. Especially on the loneliness part, and the concept of "growing up" and letting go of certain things. And he was literally like one in a million type of people. It was absolutely genius. Just like Neil said, he didn't need them at all. It made me wish I had a brain like he does, it seriously made me. My only complaint was I wish he "reunited" with Faye way earlier than his last memory on the balcony. He definitely needed that earlier. Because from the way I see it, that was the thing that made him unhappy for the second half of his life, losing that light of his. Me, I'm personally someone who hardly finds any motivation to do anything in myself. Even if I want something passionately. But Colin on the other hand, basically generated a motivation that didn't even exist before. I mean, there was literally no reason for him to become a pilot if it wasn't for his wild mind. Doesn't that sound so fascinating?

I don't mean I didnt like Johnny or his issues, but I don't know, his character really felt more boring and dull in comparison, maybe it was because River's personality had rubbed on him after spending so much time together.
Not only that but Colin was funny, and besides his interesting mind, he had a great sense of humor too. Well with Johnny, I mean I like Johnny, but the issue is related more with River I guess. I mean River was so hard to understand and to follow that was the whole thing that kept the plot together. Like some people said, it was kinda pretentious. And John for some reason went with it. But still, I love To The Moon still to this day ofcourse, but I think I hold FP closer to my heart.

I think the same way as you (I also thought of a beautiful mind).

However, I think it is fitting Faye appeared at that moment because it kinds of give closure in his last moments in life. If she appears earlier maybe his family would think he’s crazy because he’s talking to an imaginary figure?
“My story is done, but it keeps on starting over. In the end it will hover like an invisible note, embedded in the wind that ceaselessly blows from the sea. It will exist in the raindrops falling on the parched earth, and in the end it will exist in the air we breath” - Henning Mankell (Chronicler of The Winds)

StarwindD6

• Tier 3
  • Everything's alright so long as the beacon shines
  • Current Mood: alright alright
Re: Colin vs. Johnny
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:29:00 AM »
I can really agree that Johnny is more or less "dull" compared to Colin, and I don't think that it's just from his interaction and contrast with River. I think that most of him is intentional, but in the end he was never properly developed as a character.

When I played TtM, I related somewhat well with River. But I just felt that TtM's characters in comparison to Colin are just too...Simple. Not in a bad way, but just that each game tells a whole different story. TtM's characters are exactly the right ones to tell TtM's story, being simple and focused on their most defining attributes.

Colin, however, oh lord I related waaaay to much to him. From everything between wanting to fly and living and writing about
Spoiler: show
an imaginary friend
. Now I'm genuinely nostalgic for young childhood me. I also immediately notice that he is definitely more developed than any TtM character-by entire magnitudes. Kan pulled off something extremely, extremely clever here, using Faye to secretly describe Colin's character and having us put it all together at the end. I just feel as if overall FP tries and succeeds to tell a far grander and complex story. I also see that because FP's theme is very different and unique (friendship, growing up and letting go, life in general really instead of TtM's well-done but plain half-romance-half-friendship. Both of which I adore) it stands out more from other storytelling games.

And about Faye returning earlier? No, I think that shouldn't have happened since in the way I see it Colin had forgotten Faye. Remember that he only sees her again in the balcony scene and everything because the Faye generated by the machine in his subconsciousness modified his memories. Maybe at first he didn't even want to meet her again, or, more likely, simply wasn't so sure. However, as we, and I presume along with him, witness his fantasized childhood and the things that the two have been through, and especially for Colin essentially how she manifests again from the deeper parts of his subconsciousness that he had forgotten in the long days past but just another memory to the machine, he had a change of heart in those last moments and made his decision. Only then was he reunited with Faye because as she said in their parting scene, he'll never truly have to leave her, because on the day he realizes how quickly time has passed and yearns for something more to his life she'll return.