Author Topic: Thoughts on Minisode 2  (Read 32827 times)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
Re: Thoughts on Minisode 2
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
Something that I noticed (that's probably nothing important) is that the helmet we see being used by both Eva and Neil are seen with in minisode 2 are not the same helmets used in the actual to the moon game.  They are two different helmets.  Again, probably nothing important, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Probably a customized helmet.
Maybe it's for special procedures or some people still in training.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2015, 05:02:46 PM »
That's a neat observation -- I'd hoped more folks would've recognized the different helmet thing. :) Wouldn't have expected of anything less from someone whose name begins with "PlatPlat" though!

Midnight

• Tier 2
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2016, 05:48:52 PM »
I only just finished the Minisodes a few days ago, so I'm a little late for the party but I've made some observations that apparently, no one else has mentioned here so far and I'm too excited about to keep to myself. If someone else has already mentioned it and I missed it, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to take credit for someone else's discovery.
Anyway, those observations strongly imply that someone (most likely Eva) is following us around invisible:

1. https://youtu.be/8G-Ilp_5UhU?t=1168
After Eva offers Neil to join them at the Christmas party and enters the building, she shuts the door. Notice how the camera pans to Neil as he tries to decide whether to leave or return. He moves a few steps away, looks back and then the camera pans back and centers over the door. The door opens without anyone visible from the outside.
Of course, this could be Eva opening it again from the inside as a way to invite him back in, but that does seem like an odd behavior to me. If that's her intention, why not leave it open to begin with? What if - instead - it's not this Eva but the one that she saw at the street before, that is entering the building? That she's been around invisible and inaudible the same way we are in TtM most of the time.
2. https://youtu.be/8G-Ilp_5UhU?t=1301
At the ominous after credits scene. The elevator doors open and Eva enters the lobby. She meets her sister and engages in a dialogue with her. She takes a few steps and asks Tracy if she can get a lift. Now the scene changes to her sitting in her room with the helmet on before going back to the lobby. Tracy agrees and they both leave the building. Notice how the camera once again pans to the still open(!) elevator door before it finally closes. Could it be that someone invisible was still in the elevator preventing it from closing the doors? Here's another scene of the same elevator for comparison: https://youtu.be/8G-Ilp_5UhU?t=262

Both of those scenes seem way to deliberate to be coincidence if you ask me.

Unfortunately, I don't think this really tells us a lot. Mostly it just confirms what we already suspected: This is not strictly speaking the real world and Eva (and possibly also Neal) are following us around while watching and possibly changing stuff just like we did in TtM.

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2016, 09:21:30 PM »
I only just finished the Minisodes a few days ago, so I'm a little late for the party but I've made some observations that apparently, no one else has mentioned here so far and I'm too excited about to keep to myself. If someone else has already mentioned it and I missed it, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to take credit for someone else's discovery.
Anyway, those observations strongly imply that someone (most likely Eva) is following us around invisible:

1. https://youtu.be/8G-Ilp_5UhU?t=1168
After Eva offers Neil to join them at the Christmas party and enters the building, she shuts the door. Notice how the camera pans to Neil as he tries to decide whether to leave or return. He moves a few steps away, looks back and then the camera pans back and centers over the door. The door opens without anyone visible from the outside.
Of course, this could be Eva opening it again from the inside as a way to invite him back in, but that does seem like an odd behavior to me. If that's her intention, why not leave it open to begin with? What if - instead - it's not this Eva but the one that she saw at the street before, that is entering the building? That she's been around invisible and inaudible the same way we are in TtM most of the time.
2. https://youtu.be/8G-Ilp_5UhU?t=1301
At the ominous after credits scene. The elevator doors open and Eva enters the lobby. She meets her sister and engages in a dialogue with her. She takes a few steps and asks Tracy if she can get a lift. Now the scene changes to her sitting in her room with the helmet on before going back to the lobby. Tracy agrees and they both leave the building. Notice how the camera once again pans to the still open(!) elevator door before it finally closes. Could it be that someone invisible was still in the elevator preventing it from closing the doors? Here's another scene of the same elevator for comparison: https://youtu.be/8G-Ilp_5UhU?t=262

Both of those scenes seem way to deliberate to be coincidence if you ask me.

Unfortunately, I don't think this really tells us a lot. Mostly it just confirms what we already suspected: This is not strictly speaking the real world and Eva (and possibly also Neal) are following us around while watching and possibly changing stuff just like we did in TtM.

Did not think of that!! I thought the elevator closing later was just Kan's way of being creepy, but that could be the case. Although, don't the doctors typically turn off interactivity with the memory world if they are moving around so people don't see them opening and closing doors like ghosts and such? The one with Eva walking in front of the other Eva's car may have been an accident; Neil had to be reminded to toggle the visibility and interactivity on his avatar in To The Moon, for instance. But that doesn't really seem like something Eva would forget... Maybe Neil has found a way to change his appearance inside the memories so he can pretend to be other people when he needs to?

I'm starting to think along the lines of what other people have suggested, like Neil using Eva as a guinea pig since he figured that she'd discover what he was doing at some point, and trying to change her memories so that she doesn't recall what he's done. The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to be one sided - we can see both Eva and Neil's perspectives, whether or not what they see is what really happened. Does anyone else get vibes of like, Eva and Neil battling it out against each other, trying to stop the other from achieving their goal - maybe Neil is trying to keep Eva from discovering the truth about his machine and the painkillers, and Eva is trying to stop Neil from messing with her memories and wants to get to the bottom of the mystery? They clash a lot within the game and the minisodes, and it seems fitting that their over-arching plot would also involve conflict with their characters.

Midnight

• Tier 2
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2016, 06:36:46 AM »
Did not think of that!! I thought the elevator closing later was just Kan's way of being creepy, but that could be the case. Although, don't the doctors typically turn off interactivity with the memory world if they are moving around so people don't see them opening and closing doors like ghosts and such? The one with Eva walking in front of the other Eva's car may have been an accident; Neil had to be reminded to toggle the visibility and interactivity on his avatar in To The Moon, for instance. But that doesn't really seem like something Eva would forget... Maybe Neil has found a way to change his appearance inside the memories so he can pretend to be other people when he needs to?
Yes I was wondering about the interactivity too, but the game has already taken some liberty with its depiction of "interactivity off" so it's not such a big stretch. We usually are still are obstructed by most objects in TtM even when interactivity is turned off (e.g. having to walk around the tables and kids at school or not being able to enter the cafeteria through its closed door). Part of this probably just for game mechanic reasons in order to keep the player on a certain path but I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with a logical explanation for it either.
Besides if you wanted to drop subtle hints at someone following you invisibly, to me this sounds like a good way to go. Also it fits with the other hints like Eva appearing and disappearing on the road and her diary stating that she feels followed. So bottom line is: I stand by my original interpretation.

I'm starting to think along the lines of what other people have suggested, like Neil using Eva as a guinea pig since he figured that she'd discover what he was doing at some point, and trying to change her memories so that she doesn't recall what he's done. The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to be one sided - we can see both Eva and Neil's perspectives, whether or not what they see is what really happened. Does anyone else get vibes of like, Eva and Neil battling it out against each other, trying to stop the other from achieving their goal - maybe Neil is trying to keep Eva from discovering the truth about his machine and the painkillers, and Eva is trying to stop Neil from messing with her memories and wants to get to the bottom of the mystery? They clash a lot within the game and the minisodes, and it seems fitting that their over-arching plot would also involve conflict with their characters.
I'm still way too confused to make accurate predictions of what exactly is happening and what the motivations behind it are but... as theories go, I think this one is pretty good. The idea of Eva and Neil battling it out within someones memories, does feel like a believable idea to me.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:38:40 AM by Midnight »