Author Topic: Everything's Alright  (Read 3008 times)

Midnight

• Tier 2
Everything's Alright
« on: December 07, 2016, 03:07:00 AM »
Maybe it's been obvious to you guys but I had to listen to Everything's Alright before I realized that at least the first verse of the song is not just something fuzzy about how Johnny feels about the relation but actually describes the situation where he invited River to that movie date. Here's my take on it:

Short steps, deep breath
Johnny is shy in his own right and frightened of talking to River, hence the "Take a deep breath" and walking with small steps.
Everything is alright
Nicolas almost literally says this before he starts pushing Johnny in Rivers direction.
Chin up, I can't
Step into the spotlight
Once again I think this alludes to how Johnny is scared of talking to River and it takes all his courage (and a little "encouragement" of Nick) for him to go to River.
She said, "I'm sad,"
Somehow without any words
This one really got me. I'd interpret this as Johnny somehow - maybe just on a subconscious level - realizing that River is sad but she can't articulate it with words due to her condition. In hindsight it should've been obvious. She had Platplat with her, so she clearly remembers and cares a lot about their first meeting at the fair even already at that point. It's no wonder she'd be disappointed and sad that Johnny didn't come to their spot (I'm assuming this is more than a year after they first met).
I just stood there
Searching for an answer
And finally once again Johnnys lack of words to ask her for a date (and possibly to comfort her because of her sadness?). This - of course - isn't rooted in any disability but just in his shyness that I guess most people should be able to relate to to a certain degree (I certainly do!).

The second verse is from River's perspective and I can't really assign it to a specific scene the way I did with the first verse.
Why do my words
Always lose their meaning?
What I feel, what I say
There's such a rift between them
It all basically says that River is... I'd say frustrated about her inability to communicate her feelings towards Johnny.
He said, "I can't
Really seem to read you. "
I just stood there
Never know what I should do
She's aware of the fact that she can't but can't help it.

What's your take on the lyrics? Do you think I misinterpreted something here?

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
Re: Everything's Alright
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 04:30:49 AM »
I think it's a good interpretation :)

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »
I think that's a cool way to see it! I interpreted the first verse as a few different scenes instead, mostly cause of the "she said, 'I'm sad', somehow without any words" part.
"short steps, deep breath. Everything is alright"
-I agree that this is definitely John when he's trying to work up the courage to ask River out.  Like, how he gets pushed into River's view by Nicholas; one would probably stagger a bit as they are being pushed  :vikonsmile: hence short steps.
He also literally takes a deep breath trying to calm himself down, and right before that, Nick says "everything's alright".
(it's interesting to note that this is actually in reverse order, like how the memory traversal works. may just be a coincidence though)
"chin up, I can't step into the spotlight"
Well, a spotlight is something one would be in if they were, say, talented or had something special about them that they wanted to share with the world. But Johnny didn't feel special, he felt like he was a typical person who didn't stand out at all. So maybe he can't step into the spotlight because he feels like he's not qualified to do it, or he's not allowed to(aka he literally can't). That would have more to do with his brother, I think.
"she said, 'I'm sad.' Somehow without any words,"
(if you change the punctuation it either means that she expressed sadness without saying anything, or that she did say she was sad, and then John couldn't find the words to reply, tying into the next lines)
I think this likely refers to when River started folding the paper rabbits; John said, "You're acting strange, River. Is something wrong?" To which "I'm sad" might actually be a legitimate answer, but she didn't say anything and just looked upset.
"I just stood there, searching for an answer..."
This could either be when River keeps asking him to describe the rabbits, and he can't come up with a good answer to give, or when he's standing over her grave, wondering why she gave up her life for the house and Anya (he did mention that he didn't understand).

The second verse is a bit more general, I'm with ya there.
"Why do my words always lose their meaning?"
River's words are often not understood by Johnny, but not necessarily just because of her. For example, he didn't get why she kept folding rabbits, and why she asked him to throw the hacky sack towards Anya. It meant a lot to her, but nothing to him because he forgot. She might have also thought that their conversation as children lost its meaning to John and wasn't important to him anymore - losing meaning over time.
"What I feel, what I say; there's such a rift between them."
Pretty self-explanatory; she can't find the words to express herself properly, or she can't bring herself to say them. She probably felt very confused and betrayed when she realized John didn't remember their first meeting, but all she could do was ask him, "What else?" which actually sounds kind of desperate in and of itself... :(
"He said, 'I can't really seem to read you.'"
This happened a lot throughout their lives, so I'll just leave it at that. One moment was when she almost fell off the cliff going after the hacky sack and John asks if she is crazy. She didn't think he would actually throw it, possibly. He had no idea it was important though, since he forgot and she never said that it mattered to her.
"I just stood there. Never know what I should do."
I feel like the importance of this may be more like highlighting that River and John are actually quite similar in relation to each other. They didn't realize it, but they probably felt the same way when it came to communicating with each other.

What about the chorus; any interpretations?

Midnight

• Tier 2
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 01:13:59 PM »
You make some very valid points about the first verse.
I guess I was so dumbfounded about how exactly the "Short steps, deep breath. Everything is alright." matched that particular scene that it didn't even cross my mind that the rest of the verse might be about other scenes. Instead I just tried matching those lines as well as possible to the scene I had in mind. :facepalm:

As for the chorus. I don't think they can be interpreted quite as literal as the verses. The whole thing might be about their afterlife. As in - when they die they'll meet (regroup!) at the moon and as long as that's the case nothing else matters and everything's alright. But I'm sure there are a lot more valid interpretations for it.

Shamed Bot #Korn123

• Tier 1
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 12:01:35 AM »
Thank you very much for your information.