Author Topic: My Great Greeting!  (Read 6192 times)

RandomNameForAWhile

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: happy happy
My Great Greeting!
« on: July 04, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »
      Heyo! My username, as one will see to your left, is RandomNameForAWhile, and while it isn't quite my go-to name, I was hoping to have my original account back. Since it appears to be taking quite a while (No rush, whoever's in charge of throwing emails at people!)

I've wanted to post on these forums for a long time, since I used to hang around and read To the Moon discussions a long time ago in a universe far, far away, one and a half years to be precise. I've decided now would be a good time to start, for a myriad of reasons I may or may not explain later on- depends on my mood! Now, I shall REALLY begin my intro!

WARNING! EXTREMELY LONG STORY THAT MAY OR MAY NOT CAUSE PITY! READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION!

So, to start off, I first heard of To the Moon late in the year 2014, towards the end of October. I was in one of my watch-as-many-youtube-gamers-as-possible phases, and I was watching Markiplier specifically when I saw he had played a game called "To the Moon." So, I decided to start watching it, and I'll admit, I actually stopped for a little while after his second episode (not sure where in the story it was).

Sometime early/mid November, I remembered the series and I wanted to continue, so I decided to resume. That was probably one of my first major life decisions ever (To be fair, I'm only 14 atm, 15 soon, but TtM started one heck of a series of events!).

So I watched To the Moon, and then watched it again... and again... and even bought the game on sale from Steam just to play it myself, and even got the soundtrack with it too! I was reading a lot of forum discussions, and did so for several months, until maybe late February or March.

I was captivated by a lot of the discussions people had about the game, but I was also reading on the Steam discussion Boards, and even read some youtube comments, and I eventually came to a realization. Having seen and experienced To the Moon, I took a step back and looked at my own life, and had a lot of deep moments, but to sum it up, I felt actually really bad about what I had been doing. I was 13 at the time, but having seen TtM made me feel much older. Seeing the life of Johnny play out, the things that were and that could've been, I felt that I'd been doing something wrong.

I've been in the gifted program since 1st grade, and I've had a mostly same class for all of Elementary school, with most of them coming along to Middle school, but I began questioning my friendships. My memory was (and still is, sadly) REALLY bad, with maybe a handful of memories from all my Elementary years. I looked back on what I could remember, though, and realized the kinds of things I was doing. For the most part, it felt normal at the time, but having seen how life could change, and how seemingly insignificant things could have massive consequences, I didn't appreciate at ALL what I had been doing. I was one of those weird kids, and for the first few years I actually had no, or very few, friends, even by my loose definition of "friends" back then, but I was always trying to be with others. 3rd grade, however, and I seemed to finally fit in as I started playing online with other classmates and talking about games with each other. Ironically, the very kid who bullied me in Kindergarten for liking Lego Star Wars eventually became the person I spent the most time with talking about Halo together in school, even doing things like pretending we were in Halo on the playground, and weird stuff like that. Yeah, we were a REALLY special bunch! But I hadn't realized what was happening in the years to follow: that winter of 2014-2015, I saw that in my attempts to fit in with the rest, I started losing my individuality, because I would try to be less "crazy" in my own way, and basically followed in line with my other friends, even to the point of making fun of others, who I now see were in a bad position, and I still haven't apologized to some. I still wonder if I'll ever meet them again, because that would have to be one of my biggest regrets, having taunted and made fun of them without thinking about my actions.

Looking back on all of this as I'm typing, it probably made since considering I was still just a kid, but I still feel all of it was wrong.

But, to continue my rather long story, I'll go back to when I found To the Moon.

So I had read about the game, watched it, played it, etc. when I made the above revelations, and decided I wanted to change something. I redefined the meaning of "friend", not as someone who I talked occasionally, and played on the Xbox or PC with, someone I shared classes with; Rather, I now define a friend as someone who I can really trust, and reveal my more personal wishes with. I'm not saying that in the meaning as in "that one special someone" or "your better half," but rather as a REAL friend, someone like Nicholas was to Johnny, in TtM, where I could stay by them and trust them with deep matters, even after decades. None of my "friends" really fit that bill at all.
Of course, this happened in middle school. I wasn't going to just shut myself off, so I kept playing along, but I stayed away from all their trouble-making, and having felt really sorry for how I treated some of my teachers despite their hard work, I focused more on class work and trying to understand more about myself.

Warning:  :DOT: (That's probably one of the biggest benefits academically: I hated Language Arts ,writing class, with a passion in 6th grade, but by 8th grade, I had 100% in the CLASS as a whole in TWO quarters [that's 18 total weeks' worth of assignments with 100%, and I don't like bragging, but this really made my day when I saw it!] )

Ok, back from the world of flying off the tracks of my thought train at Mach 7,
Having shifted away from the group of friends I had at that time, I decided to try and make new friends, and I found one girl in particular, (mind you, I swore in Elementary school that all girls were jerks, and I'd never be friends with a girl, but that didn't last long  :-[ ) someone I wanted to be friends with, who was more quiet and out-of-the-way than my ruffian group of friends. I actually joined the social studies Quiz Bowl team to try and learn more about her before I tried talking much to her, and even joined the Yearbook team the year after, but that's another story. We had first talked, actually TO each other, one day in our Reading class when the teacher paired us up to making a short trailer using the I-movie app on the school Ipads about a sci-fi story we chose from the ones we read that quarter. Towards the end of the year, I talked a bit about our school science club with her, and convinced her to try and join, and actually succeeded. I even got her number, and we talked a little over summer, but my parents weren't super happy, but that is a WHOLE other story that'd take a novel the size of the entire Harry Potter saga to properly explain! (not the cliche "I don't want that boy to be with that girl" thing, but way more serious)

So anyways, that was the first of my new friends, and I had some of my best times in the following year of 8th grade, but that had to end too eventually.

I had started the 8th grade year with the determination to change who I was, and that was kind of a bitter-sweet thing. On the dark side, I've had really rough days sometimes, and I am pretty sure I might've split my personality in two. Yeah, I'm not so sure about the last part, but I'd love to have a discussion someday with ya'll to see what you think, and maybe help me clear things up a bit!

On the BRIGHT side, I basically made my way to that one kid that everyone seemed to love. I was getting grades that were legitimately ABSURD, including multiple 100s and 100+ grades in my overall class grades. I was respected, and gave respect, by all my teachers, especially for my leadership in our science club, a group that works to compete at the Science Olympiad national competition. We went from Regionals to States pretty much all 3 years I was in it, and 8th grade, we actually made it to Nationals, getting 49th out of 60 places for our FIRST time going to a national competition! We traveled to Wisconsin, which was way grassier and hill-ier? than sandy Florida. We were also a Title 1 (75+ % of the students had free or cheaper lunch) public school, standing face-to-face with titans of private schooling and charter schools in states with far superior STEM programs.

Sounds great, right?

Well, this upcoming part is why its taken so long for me to sit down and write this onto the Freebirdian forums:
I feel like there are two parts to me: One is really positive, and one negative. I don't exactly think its Dis-associative  Identity Disorder, but who knows?

So, sometimes I get in a really positive mood, like I am right now, and I always see the bright side of things!
But there were many times, especially towards the end of 8th grade, and even now, where I get these really bad feelings of doubt and just BAD-ness. That's a really pathetic way to say it, but the easiest, I guess.

So I always have these good things, but I get that feeling in the back of my mind where something is always wrong, and I'm always lead back to the friendship problem.

My public face is someone everybody loves, but it isn't quite the true me. Sure, sometimes I let loose and bit of me shows, but most of the time I don't want to be the serious, let's-get-this-done, always doing right kid. I don't want to wrong, but I just want to enjoy myself. I've made a lot of sacrifices in my enjoyment to be more accepted by society, and I still feel wrong about how I fit in. (quick note; I think that other bad-ish part of me is starting to come out, so if this suddenly gets dark, you were WAAARNED)

And with all these good times, I've had VERY bad times as well.

That friend I mentioned earlier, the girl I met and talked with in our reading class?

She wasn't the only new friend I had, but she was my best friend, but something had happened. So I was talking on Skype, late at night, too, and I was talking to someone else about her. I wasn't saying anything wrong, (from my view. This is also something I'd like to discuss, because this goes back to the whole I-think-differently thing, sorta like how River thinks differently than Johnny does.), but later on that girl I talked to told my best friend a bit about it.

That was probably one of the biggest mistakes I've made, and that marked the death of my friendship with her.
I told her what happened, and we had made up, but I was in this maelstrom of mixed emotions, (not love, this isn't a fairy tail after all!), and I said something I now think was very wrong:

(Having gone back and read a bit of what we said that day, I think I've switched full-gear to sad mode, but I'm going on because I feel this forum is the only place where I can get help, so here is what I said:)

" I can't fully trust either of you the same way. I've trusted you both with a LOT of things I've never trusted anyone else with, but it has gotten to the point where is has become something that could threaten me in many ways
 And everyone's suffered from this
 And it'd be easier to avoid sharing others secrets and spreading false blame
 If those secrets are never told in the first place"

I'm not afraid to share this with this forum, because I've read what you have all said and think, and I very much trust you all, because I believe you're understand and good people, and I feel that's something I don't have a lot of right now, and I really need your help now of all times.

So I said the above, and that was one of my strongest friendships ruined. We still talked and acted as friends, but there was always a strained attitude between us, even when I tried to make it better.

Then, I had made another new friends, around the same time, that I lost in perhaps a worst way.

She was in 7th grade, but I knew her through the science club, and we had talked with each other a LOT about common interests and just things we liked. We even went so far as to share a few personal matters, and I felt that I finally knew someone that could be a real friend.

But the timing was terrible, as our friendship ended at the very same time around the peak event of my middle school life, the National Science Olympiad event.

Shortly before, I noticed she wasn't talking quite as much with me, and I already talked with her weeks/months before, and she admitted she couldn't be really close friends with me, as she had the same problem of mistrust and/or misunderstanding of others, even though we related very close to each other.

One of the things we related was this: After having read about TtM,
Spoiler: show
 I felt a bit of a connection with River, and I think that I might possibly also have Asperger syndrome, just as she does, albeit far more of a mild form.
My Science Olympiad friend said she was diagnosed with it when she was younger, and her parents told her about it recently, and so I believed we could possibly be closer friends because we had something so profound in common (possibly). I also realized we acted VERY similar, even though we hardly knew each other at first, strengthening my idea.

But towards Nationals, we didn't spend as much time together, and at Nationals, we sort of made up.
The first night there though, since we were at dorms, something really bad had happened. So I was being a bit stupid, and I decided that I'd not waste precious time making my bed and everything, so I left the bedsheets and stuff in the bag they came with the whole stay, but I didn't realize how cold it would've gotten at night (even though it was WISCONSIN!). As such, I had a terrible time sleeping, because of both outside noise and the cold, and I think I actually lost a bit of sanity that night. In desperation to keep my mind busy, even though she was asleep, I decided to try talking to her through Skype, and decided even if she wouldn't wake up, I'd keep messaging so I wouldn't torture myself.

This is where I'm going to stop: I am still seriously concerned over some of the things I said, and if I shared the whole log of what happened, it'd make me look like I'm crazy (I'm not crazy, I did see a magical school bus! :seraismile:).
She didn't see the Skype messages until the end of the trip, but I knew she eventually saw them.

That was May 22nd/23rd, 2016. We haven't said a word to each other since then. Someone I once knew as my closest friend, and I lost them too, not just with a strained friendship, but a complete loss of contact, even though we had a class together.

I'm going to pause for a moment to say; I know many people have had far worse. But, I haven't spoken up about this for so long because I've always felt that I'd be ridiculed or shamed for worrying about things that aren't anywhere near as serious as other peoples' problems.

Now, I don't think that's the case. I think that now I've finally spoken up, I might be able to get some help, because I've been alone on this for the last year and a half, and its become unbearable to the point where I've cried at night because I couldn't tell anyone.

My relationship with my parents isn't the best, even though we rarely, if at all, fight, but they fight among each other, and I feel like I can't even trust them enough with this. My mother doesn't speak English as a native language, so it'd be difficult for me, somebody TERRIBLE at explanations, to tell her. My dad, I feel sometimes as if he is hardly even human, because he seems so cold sometimes, and other times he just doesn't sympathize.

So, I've turned to the Freebirdian forums for help. I know I can trust you guys, even if you are pretty much strangers scattered across the world, at least from a logical view. But to me, I think this community is a pocket of hope among this world in turmoil.

I want to end this post on a good foot, so I'll try to be more positive, but I felt these things needed to be said because I need help, to put it in the simplest words.

So, I'm going to apologize, because this has gotten way too long, but I want to say a bit more about the good things of myself. This has pretty much turned into a sob-fest, but I needed to vent.
So, THIS is me:

RandomNameForAWhile

• Tier 2
Re: My Great Greeting!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
I go by my middle name, Dietrich, a German name, but its very uncommon where I live. I live in Central Florida, and a lot of the people are from the Latin American areas, but it depends where you look, honestly.
I'm 14, turning 15, and I was born on the exact day of the September 11 attacks.
Yup, 9/11/2001 was my birthday, no joke.
I'm a guy trying to make my way through the world, and I have so much I want to do.
I've had a lot of different interests; my common hobby has been gaming. I was a PC gamer even before Kindergarten, and I never went to preschool, so I've been a gamer longer than a student, even!
I love the sciences, and space especially, at least to everyone else.
Recently, I've had a change of heart.
I don't really want a desk job, or maybe not even a science career.
I started listening to Japanese music, especially Vocaloid, around late November 2015, starting with the song "Bad Apple!!!" and I think it changed me.
I heard of the show "Angel Beats," and that was the first real Anime I watched.
Now, I want to do more than just science, or building things.
I want to help other people. Anyone. Not as a therapist, or volunteer, but I want to be famous, not for riches, but I want to be someone everyone can respect and listen to, someone know nation, or even world wide.
And with that position, I want to comfort others. I want to make music, or art, or SOMETHING to spread the message.
I've been heavily inspired by TtM, because  it was the first game I saw that gave a truly life-changing message.
The music I've listened to recently follows the same line, as do the Animes I watch.
I've heard countless stories told through those mediums, and all seem to teach me a bit more about how we can make the world a bit better.
So, that's my dream. I want to start in High School: I'm going to highschool this August, in the International Bachulearaera-whatever it is program (just google it, I'm honestly too tired, sorry.)
So, 9th grade, I'll keep doing my thing of staying quiet and shying away from others.
But, if I can find a true friend, however it be, someone at the school I can trust, I want to step up.
I plan to do many things:
I want to build up the high school's Science Olympiad team, for all the future students
I want to join the newspaper, to change the way its written so we can spread more news of what is going on in the world around us, so people can have the information to learn to be true citizens, instead of idle bystanders just trudging through a tiresome daily life.
I want to join the student council, to make an influence on the way the campus is run; I'm inspired by this because they're making a STEM academy at my middle school when I'm starting High school, all because of a discussion I had about 3D printers with my history teacher, when I started 8th grade.

Most of all, I want to sing. I want to sing to others the songs I listen to daily, that have been changing who I am, and I want to spread the word of hope to others, because I believe there are countless people like me that need help to step up and make a difference.
While writing this last part, I've been listening to a certain song.
I heard it a long time ago, but never really LISTENED to it until recently, and its given me the courage to write all of this. It's given me a lot of hope, and I wish one day to sing it to others so they can get the message behind it. (Of course, its Japanese, but if you look up the title online or on Youtube you'll find the lyrics easily. This is the high quality version.)
So, here it is:

"My Song"
Written by a character in Angel Beats, Iwasawa. Her story, along with others like River and more, makes me want to step up and make a difference.
 "It's you who are crying, it's you who are lonely.
   You're right; You're just being human"
I'll conclude this MONSTER of a post with that.

Thank you for anyone who's read this far, if I can I may go back and clean it up so it is easier to read.

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 04:36:35 PM »
Wow! What an intro! Don't worry about the long posts, personally I love long posts, it shows you have a lot to say. You might want to add a summery though, I don't know how much time everyone else has, but I could get through the whole thing, so I am sure they can.

Anyway, now to the topic. I am very happy that you came to Freebirdia to express this stuff. Freebirdia helped me find community when I was going through some rough stuff, people here don't tend to be overly judgemental. Life can be pretty hard, especially for someone who is young and alone. I myself have very few close friends outside of the internet, and my close friends aren't that pumped to talk to me very often, so I have an idea of how you feel. It's great to see someone interested in science! Hold onto that, it's very good to have those interests.

The whole thing about friends can be hard, you might have Asperger's Syndrome, I do, and some things you described seem to be related to it, but it can be hard to say, as I don't personally know you. I went to a psychologist to get the diagnosis, but if you can't afford that type of stuff or your parents don't want to, you can always do some online research of the various symptoms, Tony Attwood (who was mentioned in TtM) wrote a book about it, you might want to find it at a library or something. Don't worry about whether or not your problems are worse or better than others, it's not a competition. It's wouldn't change your problems even someone had more or less.

There is a Freebird Skype group that you might want to join, we have Skype meetings and everything! And you don't need to use a webcam if you don't want to. And there is also a Freebird group on Steam as well.

Friends can be hard to find, at my school they didn't have an outrageous number of clubs that your school seems to have, and I went to a private school! You're lucky there, I guess clubs can be a good way to meet new people. But you don't seem to have a problem meeting people as it is being yourself around them and being comfortable around them. I think you need to be more comfortable with yourself, as it seems that you panic too much about them thinking you're weird, and that might repulse them, everyone has something about them that makes them weird, some people are just better at hiding it, or accepting it. I might be wrong about this stuff though, so don't take my word as Gospel.

Anyway, welcome to Freebirdia, it's always great to have another member!  :)
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 05:27:12 PM »
Welcome to Freebirdia, fellow high schooler  ;) I'm gonna be a sophomore this year oh no!!! But I bet you'll do a lot better than me - ya seem to be a whole lot more motivated too. I'd love to hear your singing one day - make a thread in the Creativity Showcase and everything!
Yeah, the friends thing is pretty tough for us young peeps, I guess. I have exactly one friend who will actually reply to any text I send within the hour. (edit: actually I forgot, my neighbor who lives across the street is also a friend. It'd be a crime to forget her!) And I've lost a number of friends over weird things too, so don't feel like you're alone! Like, one kid was my good pal in middle school, but then he joined the drama lama club and ditched me  :seraisweat:(not that I have anything against the drama club itself, at least not all of them - the one friend I have is also in there, plus some other classmates who talk to me fairly often.)And I was really happy being with someone in early elementary school, but then he moved to Florida - where you are now! So you see, sometimes that's just how the cookie crumbles.
To The Moon is a big inspiration for me, too. I'm big into music and the arts, so I adore the game for that, in addition to its messages. My school is strong in English, so hopefully my literary analysis of the game won't turn out too poorly. (another edit: ...looks like that won't be done any time soon.)
Good luck for your new school! I live in New England, and I go to a public high school that's filled with rich party people and drugs and alcohol. We literally call ourselves Marsh Vegas as a joke... Of course, not everyone is like that. There's actually a bunch of people I know of who are kind of like you, except big into anime and internet culture mostly(instead of video games so edit: on second thought you might not really like them...). They can be a bit vulgar, but maybe you'd still like them? Some are a lot nicer than others.
Even if you don't have a lot of friends within your definition, you don't have to be afraid of people! Some of the best moments can even come from just tagging along for a bit. For example, one of my drama club classmates is a fan of Disney movies. So while we were doing a Relay For Life all-night event as Key Club, most of the other kids had fallen asleep and he went to go wake them up cause he was mad at them (we were supposed to be up and walking the track the whole night - it's a symbolic thing). We basically got three other people out onto the track with us - and he and one of the girls started complaining about the random music the speakers were playing.
Then he pulled out his phone and they both started singing duets to YouTube lyric videos  XD most of them were Disney, and though I'm a terrible singer and didn't sing, it was amazing to watch them have so much fun! Especially at like two in the morning. We also marched to the music (we're in marching band!) and that was...bizarre. But also funny. So yeah, that's my story for the day.
(edit: I have to mention this really funny thing. He sang "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid, but the way he sang these certain lyrics was just on point:
"You want thingamabobs?
I'VE GOT TWENTY."
*looks at me with intense face*
I still laugh thinking about that  :kardiansmile: )
I really have to say this - please please please keep working hard! Sometimes teachers are actually insane and life drama gets crayfish and it feels like there is no purpose to living, but if you stick to it, you really can become famous and support people and spread a good message! This generation is a sort of stupid one at times, so we need ya!!! There's this boy I know who might be a partial genius in disguise - he's SO good at percussion and talented at math and insightful and the nicest guy, but he doesn't believe in himself enough to want to put effort into his school work... Never do that. YOU HAVE TO BELIEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  ;D
(okay, that's it for my rant. have a great day ok? happy fourth of july!)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:56:51 PM by EatingToastYay »

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »
Wait actually one last thing: help us bring the forum back to its lively state plz  :'( a lot of original Freebirdians (the FB squad) are in college, university, or are already adults, so most of them can't check up on the forums often or add to them much anymore. But I'll be here almost every day this July, so strike up any discussion about the game you want and I will be extremely excited to add to it. (as you can see this is kind of for my sake only I'm selfish so feel free to just ignore this)

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 05:47:54 PM »
Wait actually one last thing: help us bring the forum back to its lively state plz  :'( a lot of original Freebirdians (the FB squad) are in college, university, or are already adults, so most of them can't check up on the forums often or add to them much anymore. But I'll be here almost every day this July, so strike up any discussion about the game you want and I will be extremely excited to add to it. (as you can see this is kind of for my sake only I'm selfish so feel free to just ignore this)

Me too. I may be in college (though not by any definition an "original Freebirdian"), but I'm constantly lurking on the forum, and we could always see some more activity  :vikonsmile: ! I don't have much time right now, but as soon as I have enough time, I'll read the full thread and comment some more.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 05:40:10 AM »
Welcome to Freebirdia RandomNameForAWhile :) (Can I just call you Random? :P ) Sure you'll make many good friends here and Skyping too, though we aren't that active on Skype but I'm always online ^_^

I hope things get better for you as time goes on. Sounds like you had quite a rough time over the past two years or so :(

:plat: :fezesarecool:
PLS FIX OUR FORUM PROFILES!! :'(

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 11:03:09 PM »
Wow, I've noticed several parallels between your story and mine! I played To the Moon right around that time (I played it in early October 2014), but I found out about it by chance when I downloaded it from that summer's RPG Maker Humble Bundle. I also started thinking about the game in November. I had some friends throughout elementary and middle school, but far fewer than average. Then in high school, I made a lot of friends, and wasn't concerned about being socially awkward. I've been in college for two years, and I've made barely any friends in college, and I blame myself for that, as I have shut myself away from people in some ways. I went to a really small private high school, and my public face was a really sociable, outgoing person, and I was genuinely happy, but since coming to college, everything has changed. I've had really bad things happen to me in high school (and I've done some really cringeworthy things), and I've had great things happen in college, but high school was in general much better, and I attribute that to the fact that I had a better social life. I also have felt a (mild) connection to River, and I believe I once was tested for Asperger's and received a borderline result (I was tested again and it was negative).

Wisconsin's not that cold  :vikonsmile: (then again, I'm from Minnesota. I went to Florida a few months ago, and my skin turned into a peeling tomato!)

Interesting how you were born on 9/11/01. I was born on July 4, and I get enough crap for that, I can only imagine how much crap you get for that. (I'm guessing people might think you're a jackass if you're celebrating "X years!" on the anniversary of 9/11)

Anyway, welcome to the forums!  :vikonsmile:

PS: Love the avatar, Ib is one of my top 5 games!

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 01:38:55 AM »
      Dunno if you're still on here, but I just realized that your description of your parents shares a few similarities to mine. I'm a second-generation immigrant from Indonesia, and my parents speak English as a second language. We are technically Chinese, but they grew up in Indonesian culture and actually can't speak any form of Mandarin, Cantonese, etc., much less write it. My father said that during the time period, it wasn't allowed to teach Chinese in schools.
      But the communication problem is the same, and really the only way I think can solve it is talking to your mother often and making sure she is practicing her English language skills. When my parents are looking for a word that they don't know, they usually ask us (me n my sister) because we speak English natively.
      As for your father, my father can be like that too. He used to work every day at the office and we barely saw him, except in the nights. He's quiet, but stubborn, and can be pretty opinionated at times.
      However, I think one of the themes from To The Moon that fits this, both in John's story and in the doctors', is the importance of communication. A lack of it can cause disasters, and an abundance, tenderness and even revelation.
     My father was born into a rich family, but his own father had once been very poor. He was always near the top of his classes. A fear of failure was struck into him - he had been belted when he was young - and now my sister and I are pressured by him to succeed to this day. It's probably the same fear my grandfather had that his children wouldn't lead good lives.
      His father was distant and always busy working. My mother speculates that his mother was probably treated more like a possession than a person (not like my grandma would say though); she's likely right. My father didn't really respect my mother in the past either, though I think he regrets it now. It just goes to show the effect upbringing can have on a person. My father lived a life of relative luxury and ease, so he is picky and discerning to this day, though we are middle class now.
      That is my very long-winded way of saying that your dad may have a story behind the way he acts. My parents fight too, and my sister fights with them. Just don't be scared off, the payoff might be worth it!
      For example, I got my father to play Pokemon GO and now he plays it in the airport when he's waiting for flights, he plays it at home, he plays it when he drives sometimes  O_O but it's hilarious. And after we watched the drama club's Grease production last spring, he told me that when he was in high school, the movie had just come out and was very popular. Many boys at his school did the "Greased Lightning" (look it up when you have the chance!)
      Sometimes he doesn't understand our problems because he never had to deal with them. He can be unyielding, and he can shoot down your argument faster than the speed of sound if he doesn't like it. It's just that it's not all of what he is, or what he can be.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 06:43:35 AM »
This was too much for me to read at 7AM so I'll just say hello and smile. :)

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 07:48:10 AM »
The important thing is to share how you feel with someone and I hope by writing on this topic you feel a little better now.
Don't keep your issues to yourself for a year or so, share them in a way you are comfortable with, keeping them to yourself for too long makes them unbearable and bigger than they should be.
I know it is hard to find and trust friends, to keep that friendship.
I wish I could give you an advice on how to make things better, I can only wish for the best.

Melanie73

• Tier 1
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 02:01:39 AM »
My school is strong in English, so hopefully my literary analysis of the game won't turn out too poorly. (another edit: ...looks like that won't be done any time soon.)
Good luck for your new school! I live in New England, and I go to a public high school that's filled with rich party people and drugs and alcohol. We literally call ourselves Marsh Vegas as a joke... Of course, not everyone is like that. There's actually a bunch of people I know of who are kind of like you, except big into anime and internet culture mostly(instead of video games so edit: on second thought you might not really like them...). Kodi They can be a bit vulgar, but maybe you'd still like them? Some are a lot nicer than others.
Even if you don't have a lot of friends within your definition, you don't have to be afraid of people! Some of the best moments can even come from just tagging along for a bit. For example, one of my drama club classmates is a fan of Disney movies. So while we were doing a Relay For Life all-night event as Key Club, most of the other kids had fallen asleep and he went to go wake them up cause he was mad at them (we were supposed to be up and walking the track the whole night - it's a symbolic thing). We basically got three other people out onto the track with us - and he and one of the girls started complaining about the random music the speakers were playing