Author Topic: Thinking up "conspiracy theories" before Finding Paradise  (Read 3791 times)

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
Thinking up "conspiracy theories" before Finding Paradise
« on: May 28, 2016, 07:07:56 PM »
So I saw the new screenshot Reives posted of FP and decided now was the time to come up with crazy ideas. I'm not too confident about reviving the old topics up in Discussions, so I just made a new one, and I know lots of peeps are busy this time of year. But who cares the hype is real to me!like santa claus
Spoilers for Sigmund Corp Series
Spoiler: show

Prepare yourselves for the wall of text  :P
What I was thinking about Neil + painkillers :
I.     Some say he's addicted, some say he's dying from a fatal disease/condition. As for me? If anything, I think it could be both, since drug addiction is a chronic brain disease that tends to relapse and is deadly if left untreated. Not a disease as in viruses, genetics, cancers or the like, it's caused by whatever drug is used.
     His addiction might not even be by choice; it's possible that he really did injure himself somehow (maybe not by walking into a concrete wall though, that's not serious enough...) or might have a treatable medical condition that causes pain, but his medical doctor may have prescribed opioid painkillers either to suppress pain during recovery or because they didn't look into the issue and find the source of the pain (choosing to cover it up instead).
II.     I'm learning about drug addiction in health class (I hope this is at least somewhat accurate bc or else I'm screwed right?), and my teacher says it only takes 21 days to develop an addiction (or even less). It can happen to anyone, and Neil counts as anyone, yea? Obviously the doctor would not allow the prescription to go on indefinitely, as I'm pretty sure they know it can get dangerous. But for someone who's already hooked, they might not be able to wean themselves off of it and may even start taking more. Neil's already mentioned that his job makes a lot of money; he could easily buy more painkillers illegally from a street source. (This literally happens in real life, there are kids in my high school who are actual drug dealers...)
     This might also explain the reason why Eva isn't able to say for sure whether or not the painkillers belong to Neil. A prescription medication is always labeled, so his name would have been clearly printed on the container for safety reasons. But if it has been bought off of someone random, the original name (if there ever was one) would definitely be removed, so it can't be traced back to the true owner. In addition, Eva's fairly considerate, so if she saw a prescription that obviously belonged to Neil, she might have just put it back in the car and respected his privacy. If he doesn't want to let her know about a condition he has, such as asthma (for ex.), it's fine because he's an adult. It's his responsibility to take care of himself, and up to his discretion as to who he wants to tell about it.
III.     However, a bottle of strong painkillers without a name on them is definitely suspicious, considering that their company car seems to only be used by them. To Eva, since it doesn't belong to her, it may mean one of two things: someone else has been in their car, or Neil is taking medication that he might not be supposed to be taking. The person breaking into their car one is definitely unlikely, but we did see that there are people who don't agree with what the company is doing. Sabotaging their property is still possible. But since it was more likely that they were Neil's, Eva went and asked him when he was coming down from the house.
     Neil takes them from her, rather hastily. When she asks why, he tells her the story about the concrete wall. He then tries to change the topic once he realizes she's not buying any of it, and starts heading back up to the house. Eva says something along the lines of, "Neil.../You aren't addicted, are you?" To which he basically replies, "Are you kidding me?/ I'd overdose before I'd sink to that level of contrived mess." Not very believable taking into account that he was pretty much making up a bizarre excuse for taking the painkillers a minute before. Or maybe he would overdose before he'd ever admit it.
IV.     There's a lot a stigma and judgement placed on people who have addiction problems, and they will usually develop addictive thinking from drug use in any case. Neil probably - in fact, almost definitely - knows what could happen to him, but addictive thinking includes obsession (constantly thinking about the drug) and compulsion, which is an irrational urge to use the drug no matter what one might know about negative effects and whatnot. It leads to denying, being unable to recognize there is a problem, and rationalizing, blaming other situations/people for problems instead of the drugs.
     It can also support the red flash and the partially depleted health bar. The use of addictive drugs leads to long-term pain that follows the short term gratification (in his case, not feeling pain. Vicious cycle.) Drugs will also eventually damage health, both mental and physical, and relationships with other people. That could explain why he's avoiding talking to one or both of his parents (minisode 2 go play it).
V.     Before Eva goes out to get the roadkill, she asks Neil why he's just standing around instead of helping the doctor monitor John. He replies by saying that watching someone die helplessly just isn't his cup of coffee (or something like that, can't look it up right now since most people in LPs don't talk to him at that point). Might be an indication that he doesn't want to die like that, and he'll probably struggle to save himself from himself. Which would make him feel even worse for being helpless against his addiction.
VI.     The average time between a person's first prescription opioid and their overdose death is 31 months. Roughly 2-3 years. If he continues to use painkillers/drugs consistently without successfully stopping use for any period of time, and eventually dies somewhere near adhering to that time frame:
1. Use starts, let's say in early summer, north hemisphere (assuming this takes place either in Canada, north west-coast, or New England)
2. To The Moon takes place that year in early autumn (they make comments about the cold and wind, part of which is due to the cliff, but if it were in the summer it would still be at least somewhat warm at night. Also early bc leaves haven't changed color yet.)
3. Minisode 1 happens around Christmas that year. Enough for TtM to still be in their minds, but not esp. recent anymore, considering that this is their job and they perform procedures frequently.
4. Minisode 2 happens in January or February two years later.
5. Finding Paradise occurs summer of that year.
6. Final installment takes place somewhere towards fall or winter of that year. Neil dies, the reason Eva is in the memories is to grant his wish.
*HOWEVER!!!*There are actually a lot of things that already conflict with this ending.
  • The shot at the end of TtM where there are two Neils. It's obviously not a glitch if Reives n the team left it in.
  • Minisode 2, where Neil is shown working on a strange machine of his own, which seems to perform a function that is similar but not the same as the normal memory machine. also illegal but whatevs.
  • Minisode 2, when Eva sees a second version of herself, Neil is said to have shut down the power while he doesn't recall having done so, and when Eva is seen by audience using Neil's machine without Neil present for unknown purposes.
  • Reives mentioning in IndieMage's interview (see his or IndieMage Twitter for link) that the final installment is planned to resemble a psychological thriller. This may support the addiction hypothesis, though, as drugs do brain damage and have rather severe psychological effects at times.
  • Screenshot of finding Paradise in which Eva and Neil are falling into a black abyss, but Eva has gray hair. Unless it's just a trick of lighting, this means that in their reality, Eva may be significantly older than we have seen her so far in the series. Which means that Neil must also be older in the real world (whatever that is...) because, well, if she's older, then that has to mean that if it does take place within his mind, he must be roughly the same age as her, or at least older than he was in the past. This would suggest that Neil managed to live for quite a few years after the events recounted in the games, potentially debunking the fatal disease only hypothesis, since he would only be taking strong painkillers if the pain is severe and difficult to manage, when the disease might already be at a late stage and he has just a few years left to live - that might line up with the timeline I have.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:11:00 PM by EatingToastYay »

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
Re: Thinking up "conspiracy theories" before Finding Paradise
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 08:46:05 PM »
*Managed to read wall of text*

*Faints*
PLS FIX OUR FORUM PROFILES!! :'(

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »
ermahgurd I'm so sorry DM OmO

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:55:22 PM »
ermahgurd I'm so sorry DM OmO
Heh, it's ok :P just a lot to read.

You kinda confused me though (in part 2 or 3?) about the painkillers not being prescribed to Neil and not having his name on the bottle. Obviously, you've seen when Eva finds it by the car-

*Remembers scene*

Oh wait... she doesn't say that his name is on it. Nevermind -_-
PLS FIX OUR FORUM PROFILES!! :'(

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 09:07:51 PM »
I just found out you can make text like this. This is really cool. This will probably give you a nasty headache. I'm sorry. I'll quit typing now. Bye.                                                     Oh wait, by the way, my personal theory about this matter is that Reives is just trolling us by making us think that something bad is going on :vikonsmile:

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 08:45:35 AM »
I just found out you can make text like this. This is really cool. This will probably give you a nasty headache. I'm sorry. I'll quit typing now. Bye.                                                     Oh wait, by the way, my personal theory about this matter is that Reives is just trolling us by making us think that something bad is going on :vikonsmile:
...That's actually true, Reives might just be playing us all for fools!