Poll

Would you like to see Neil and Eva analyzed? Why/what would you do if an analysis is posted? Vote all that apply.

Yes, I would like to add my own thoughts to this thread
Yes, I would read it and share it with others
Yes, I am confused about their characters
Yes, I want to compare opinions and debate
Yes, I think it will help others
Yes, I'm excited about Finding Paradise
No, I'm just not interested
No, I don't like you
No, it's unnecessary
No, if it's inaccurate it could cause misinterpretation
No, I can do this myself
No, it could spoil people
YES. just yes.
NO. just no.

Author Topic: Character Analysis of Neil and Eva, anyone?  (Read 5120 times)

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
Character Analysis of Neil and Eva, anyone?
« on: April 02, 2016, 03:45:13 PM »
With Finding Paradise beginning to sneak up on us, I was thinking that it may be a good idea to attempt a full character analysis of both Dr. Rosalene and Dr. Watts.
However, since my plan involves copying down the entire script of To The Moon (including all the branching dialogue options), Minisode 1, and Minisode 2, plus digging up any material released on Kan's Facebook and Twitter, and the Finding Paradise screenshot trailer, I'd like to gauge the community's interest in it before deciding whether or not to actually do it. And, of course, my analysis may not be correct even with all that.
So, what do you think?
Have you ever analyzed them yourselves?
What do you think of Neil and Eva as characters? What traits do you think they have?
...Did I even put this in the correct category? It's not really a fan work, I don't think, so I put it in Discussions instead.

Anyways, if my project is to take flight, it will probably be released late this summer, as it's going to take a bit of work. I might start on it earlier than that, but I still have school.

I'll be using literary analysis to do this, as taught by my amazing English teacher (Nancy is the most important aspect of life  :mimihat: )
Stuff I'll try to go over:
(concerning neil and eva only, not Johnny or other TTM characters)
"Hero's Quest" archetypes
Situation
ID Protagonist
ID Antagonist
Conflicts
Direct Characterization
Indirect Characterization:
-Actions
-Appearance
-What others say about him/her
-What character says
-Narration (although this may not be possible in a game)
Character Types
Setting in Literature (well, game in this case)
-Setting and Characters
-Setting and Conflict
-Setting and Atmosphere
Themes (so far)
Point of View
Symbolism (so far)
Use of Irony?

Possible bonus:
Predictions and theories about Eva and Neil
Quick analysis of SigCorp co-workers (there's not too much to go on right now)
Eva and Neil as they relate directly to each other
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:49:01 PM by EatingToastYay »

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
Re: Character Analysis of Neil and Eva, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 09:14:20 PM »
Well, I've got till summer to decide. Hopefully that's enough time for people to consider this.

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:34:04 PM »
Here's the first part of my transcription of To The Moon... Still got a long way to go.

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:06:43 PM »
It's still missing tons of stuff, including path splits (since I have to replay sections of the game to record those, and time spent typing up all that stuff triples, if not quadruples, play time. I'm not even in John's memories yet and I'm already up to two hours...), but this is just a preview.

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 09:10:02 PM »
OH
It's just me myself and I
Solo ride until I die
cause I
Got me for life
(got meh 4 lyfe ya)
OH
I don't need a hand to hold
Even when the night is cold,
I got dat fire in my soul!!!!
(-"Me, Myself & I"-G-Easy ft. Bebe Rexha)

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 10:16:26 PM »
Here's a quick example of some analysis.
The white coats that Sigmund Corp agents wear!
This is kind of slapdash, so I'm just pulling from one source: http://www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com/color-white.html
All Sigmund Corp agents wear variations of white coats. This is derived partially from the wearing of lab coats whilst experimenting or researching in laboratories. However, they don't work in labs at all, but peoples' homes. Besides, they are decorated and impractical. So why do they all wear white anyway?
White is a very symbolic color. It is a color of purity and perfection. Sound familiar? The goal of Sigmund Corp is to fulfill the dying wish of their patients so they can die happy, believing that they have lived "perfect" lives. White also stands for  innocence, wholeness, and completion. When keeping hold of a dream from childhood, as is the method of Sigmund, it prevents a person from losing their innocence and realizing that not everything you want to do can actually be achieved, no matter how much you want to. As for wholeness and completion, Sigmund grants a wish that should complete a patient's life and make them feel whole and satisfied. Basically, the color helps represent the agents' values and goals as employees.
According to my whack website, white is also a color of new beginnings - a clean slate for the creations of the mind. The process of memory rewriting is basically this; it's a reboot of someone's life, and the outcome is all up to them.
Since white contains all colors of the spectrum, it represents all the colors and their positives and negatives - it is equal and balanced. It is impartial and neutral. In the same way, SigCorp agents must be impartial and balanced: they shouldn't have bias for or against their clients, it would be a violation of work ethic - and besides, it would be extremely cruel to judge someone for the life they lived after they willingly handed it over to you. Not saying they don't do it... Eva and Neil judge John quite a bit in To The Moon for many of his actions. The white is kind of a lie in that respect, a fašade to prevent potential backlash. Yet, you can't hide behind white, it's reflective. The lives of patients are exposed when they sign that contract. Now two total strangers are going to look through their memories.
White can also be considered a color of protection and encouragement, things that family members and friends of a patient are probably going to need, considering that there's a chance their beloved won't even remember them after the procedure, and will die that way. Plus, a lot of people are against Sigmund Corp, so a family could come under fire for using their services.
But too much white is empty, cold, isolating... The agents' white coats separate them from ordinary people. Neil wears reflective glasses to avoid the gazes of nosy strangers. Roxie and Robert had tomatoes thrown at them because of the job they perform - in fact, tomatoes are apparently being chucked at everyone, and onto the building as well. There is a question of exactly how much an artificial life is worth. If it is fake, then what is its value? Is it enough that it can make one person believe they are happy before they pass away? What about their real lives? Were those meaningless now that they are forgotten? White is sterile and impersonal at times, detached, disinterested. We saw Eva and Neil behaving this way at the start of To The Moon. They just want to get it over with. It's a job they've done for years... when they're finished with each patient, they're expected to move on to the next quickly and efficiently. Obviously, it's not possible sometimes. But it does give off the illusion, and may further scare protesters of the procedure. The idea that these people may not even care certainly sounds frightening and unnatural.
In some cultures, white is associated with death and mourning. Strangely fitting for people who work so closely with death. Do they mourn for their patients simply by wearing the color? Does it pay respect for the end of their lives? Eva and Neil seem to have attended the burial of John.
Lastly, in some cases white can be tied to youth and childhood, a time when life is easier and simpler. If you may recall, the process Sigmund Corp uses is to travel all the way back to childhood, and place the dream their patient has so that it may take root in this impressionable period.

Did you learn something new? (is this even real?)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:18:32 PM by EatingToastYay »

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 01:55:52 AM »
Very interesting analysis there! If you don't mind, I'd like to add my two cents (and these comments are by no means intended to detract from what you wrote here. It seems kinda overthought (then again, that's kinda the whole point of literary analysis :vikonsmile: ). White coats are a symbol of doctors, even outside of laboratories and hospitals. They have become a quintessential ( no pun intended :)) part of medical attire. The white lab coat is the most effective way to show that someone is a doctor, and this is especially true when making game sprites that are only a few dozen pixels tall. As for the decorations, they do not work in an environment that needs to be particularly sterile (the office building and the patients' houses), and lab coats are so pristine because they are meant to be used in sterile environments such as clinics, hospitals, and laboratories (the white allows them to tell if something's spilled). Since they're not performing surgery, drawing blood or administering special medications, I don't see a need for them to use perfectly white coats.

That's my utilitarian side speaking. Having said that, it would be rather unsettling having two doctors wearing another color, say, red overcoats walk into your house while you are dying. White laboratory coats give an air of professionality (yes, even for Neil!) In fact, a quick look through Wikipedia shows that this is how early doctors distinguished themselves from quacks. However, despite my utilitarian side, I still believe that there is quite a bit of truth to what you said about symbolism. There are, as you observed, very many things that can be symbolized by the color white, and different people have different perceptions about the color white. I believe that symbolism perceived by the viewer, even if not intended by the creator, is just as important as (if not more important than) the intended symbolism. Even if Reives didn't mean for the lab coats to symbolize anything (other than the fact that they are doctors), they can be (and apparently have been) seen as having a deeper meaning. Even though I might not fully agree with this analysis, it's interesting to see someone else's take on something as (seemingly) mundane as the doctors' uniforms.

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
Thanks for the two cents, Marlin! It's very true that white is a great way to distinguish them as doctors/medical practitioners of a sort. The "Doctor" character who watches over John wears a white coat himself! Plus, it's useful for unifying the agents and making them easily identifiable to us as Eva and Neil's co-workers and not just random people. Honestly, if you try hard enough, there's symbols in pretty much everything. I mean, even the building of the house by the cliffside could be symbolic somehow... like, creating your own future/home despite difficulties or something. My analysis comes from the academic side of my life, I suppose... In English class we analyze the heck out of anything we can get our hands on. (it's basically how to get good grades >w<) Try telling my teacher that Holden's red hunting cap in The Catcher in the Rye doesn't symbolize protection from the outside world and hiding from the truth!
Again, much appreciated - I love stuff like this. Live for it. Probably why I fangirl whenever I think about Finding Paradise  :seraisweat:

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 12:24:16 AM »
Update of the script recording: GoogleDrive link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-IxiClODvSmdGM4THp1R3ZEX3M/view?usp=sharing All the branching paths are now finished recording, though some of it is on paper now. It's amazing how much dialogue and funny moments are in the game that many people seem to have overlooked in single playthroughs!

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 04:28:07 PM »
Huge images from my phone are good for something after all!
Notes that I'm using to assist in my analysis:
Oh, there's a part where Static Character is cut off to be tatic character XD

turkizhere

• Tier 2
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 08:59:50 AM »
I can tell that you are quite engaged with your analysis and may I say, it is quite good. Spectacular in fact. Keep up the good work.

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 02:32:07 PM »
I can tell that you are quite engaged with your analysis and may I say, it is quite good. Spectacular in fact. Keep up the good work.
Thanks! I'm chipping away at it, slowly but surely.

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 08:46:13 PM »
Stuck in an airport; now I will make comparisons between Neil and Eva, and other pop culture characters!
Dr. John Watson; Sherlock Holmes:
Like Watson, Neil is less likely to come up with accurate deductions, but is still reasonably capable. However, his personality leans more towards Sherlork's eccentric habits. He also does drugs.
Eva seems to possess good powers of deduction, more similarly to Sherlock. Still, she's more down to earth and unsure of herself, like Watson at times. She has a bit of a flair for the dramatic, like Sherlock, as she often doesn't explain her thoughts and actions to Neil until later.
Doctor Who; various Partners:
Neil's got something of an emo, tortured personality hidden by over the top antics like the Doctor(some iterations anyhow). He's also prone to doing very odd things. He's no super smart or powerful Time Lord though.
Eva has the intelligence and wit of a partner, but she's in no need of saving. Or subordination. Also she's not in love with Neil, at least not as obviously as most partners are.
Main Three of Star Trek (Original):
Eva has some pretty solid logic and professional detachment, rendering her similar to Spock. She's still got definite emotions, though. She also has the no-compromise attitude of Kirk.
Neil is pretty similar to McCoy with random outbursts to boot. He likes rushing into things on impulse and wants to help people, accompanied by lots of swearing. He's determined to do what he thinks is right.
Reiver Wirt; Lunair Naeryns:
Neil is kinda whiny like Reives.
Eva is kind of standoffish like Lunair

This is terrible but at least I have another year to complete the actual thing. The one good side to a later FP...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 07:53:00 AM by EatingToastYay »