Author Topic: Freebirdians Holidays Photo !  (Read 6177 times)

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Freebirdians Holidays Photo !
« on: January 07, 2016, 04:02:16 PM »
Alright !
So we might be from many different places and culture, But we do have holiday, right ?

If you have anything interesting that you wanna share from your holiday or maybe wanna recommend a place or anything, This is the place to put all your moment and adventures !
It can be Photos, Videos, or anything precious moment that you wanna share from different places, so other member can see the world from your perspective.

One or two photo or the whole album will be fine, And it can be from anywhere, So name the place or event or something that you do might be a good idea. You can give more detail about the photo or even the story that might be informative for other.
It might turn to be good references or idea for other's next holiday !

Okay,
Let me start :)

=========================================================================
So,
I was going to a place called "Bogor" (In Indonesia) for a day last December by train.
I usually just stay at home during holiday, But this time a couple of friends invite me to go out with them. (Which I usually refuse)
So I thought It might be a good time to try something new, So I'm in ! :)

And this is the first time I entering a train station and going somewhere with a train.
Surprisingly, It's just like 70 Cents (USD) total to go to your destination and come back home with a train !

Spoiler: show

Here's what's it's like when we arrived there :
(As usually live in the city, It's pretty nice to see a mountain and trees sometimes :) )

And we went to a place called "Taman Kencana" (Kencana Park)
The Gate :

And the lion on the gate :

And Here's what it looks like inside (Trees):

More Trees :

Cute Snail - like plant :

A Hobit can make a house in this tree :

This tree is pretty artistic :

The tallest and oldest tree on the earth in the park :
(I can't even get the top of it  :reivsweat: )

And it's a good time to walk (Even though it's really hot) :reivsweat:

Here's what it looks like when you put the photo above on your instagram (Crop and filter)  :reivsweat: :

The lake :

Then, we are going back at afternoon by train and got a beautiful sunset (in front of my home) :

And suprisingly,
I always thought that It'll be expensive for traveling like this.
Well, Here's the truth :
 Half Backpackers for a day (Include transport, Lunch, Snack, ticket and everything else) to this place cost me about (Or less) than [spoiler]10 USD (Seriously) :p
[/spoiler]

This trip really change my perspective about traveling as a backpackers. :)

So,
That's all from my holiday.
Thanks for reading the long post,
Here, Have a Snack :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:04:33 PM by Roxaszu »

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
Re: Freebirdians Holidays Photo !
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:18:26 PM »
Whoa, a lot of these are really cool Roxaszu! :)

Hey, that looks like one on NZs ferns:

But it might not be native to our country.

And suprisingly,
Well, Here's the truth :
Half Backpackers for a day (Include transport, Lunch, Snack, ticket and everything else) to this place cost me about (Or less) than

10 USD (Seriously) :p

Wow, that's cheap! O_O

Anyway, I'd post some pictures but it's rather rainy today and I can't get any good shots due to all he houses and trees. However I can post some pics of my area from Google (due to us not going out very often) or even posts older pics of when I went to Easter camp a couple years ago.

Austin Li

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: stressed stressed
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 05:41:11 AM »
Here is a late happy New Year!

Melbourne is a beautiful city that really doesn't have much to explore once you have been living there for a few years. It's known as one of the most boring cities in the world by some travelers I know. (This may only be the opinions of some including me, but just know that I love melbourne to death for how beautiful and clean it is.)
This was one of the few places I hadn't been to yet.

Me and my uncle's family went to climb a mountain near the ocean and at the top of it we saw the most amazing view i have seen in person.

Here is us standing on top of the huge rock on top of the mountain.
I am the one wearing blue.

I am super scared of heights, and my legs were shaking when the photo was taken.

I just noticed a shirtless guy in the background. I am really creeped out right now.

That was extremely fun, including the one hour walk towards the top of the mountain. We were singing and jumping, uncle was walking "miles" ahead of us, one of my cousins was doing her crazy stuff, it was great fun.

Later we had dinner at uncle's house on New Year's Eve. One of my cousins was doing her creepy face at the camera.

Homework: I just got my first book for my first VCE subject!!!! I have seen 6 chapters of it, I am so terrified of next year's work, I need someone to tell me that VCE isn't so stressful.

And tomorrow I will be attending a wedding! So I will hopefully have fun doing that.

And that's it! Probably nothing else interesting will happen during the rest of my holiday.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:45:27 AM by Austin Li »
I love milk.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 06:32:36 AM »
Here is a late happy New Year!

Melbourne is a beautiful city that really doesn't have much to explore once you have been living there for a few years. It's known as one of the most boring cities in the world by some travelers I know. (This may only be the opinions of some including me, but just know that I love melbourne to death for how beautiful and clean it is.)
This was one of the few places I hadn't been to yet.

Me and my uncle's family went to climb a mountain near the ocean and at the top of it we saw the most amazing view i have seen in person.

I am the one wearing blue.

I am super scared of heights, and my legs were shaking when the photo was taken.

I just noticed a shirtless guy in the background. I am really creeped out right now.

That was extremely fun, including the one hour walk towards the top of the mountain. We were singing and jumping, uncle was walking "miles" ahead of us, one of my cousins was doing her crazy stuff, it was great fun.

Later we had dinner at uncle's house on New Year's Eve. One of my cousins was doing her creepy face at the camera.

Homework: I just got my first book for my first VCE subject!!!! I have seen 6 chapters of it, I am so terrified of next year's work, I need someone to tell me that VCE isn't so stressful.

And tomorrow I will be attending a wedding! So I will hopefully have fun doing that.

And that's it! Probably nothing else interesting will happen during the rest of my holiday.

The pictures arn't showing up :( but apart from that, it's great :)

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 03:40:46 PM »
So I thought It might be a good time to try something new, So I'm in ! :)

Yesss! Try new things! That's great!!

(As usually live in the city, It's pretty nice to see a mountain and trees sometimes :) )

So exotic ... (gets dreamy eyes)

More Trees :

No, wait, this is exotic. Aww.

This tree is pretty artistic :

That looks a lot like a tablecloth. A giant tablecloth tree ...

Then, we are going back at afternoon by train and got a beautiful sunset (in front of my home) :

Such beautiful colours :O

What IS that? And do you need my address to mail it? :D

So what did Austin post ...
Aw, they don't show for me either. I tried to make an Imgur account today but then read in their Terms of Service that they don't want you to use Imgur as a mere photo hoster, linking directly to photos stored on there. I kind of thought that was the point of that site ... but maybe that's why it doesn't work.
You may have to link to your album on that site.

I did check out the photos though.

It is. Like from some "Holiday in Oz!" brochure.

You don't look scared. Good job pretending ;)

We were singing and jumping, uncle was walking "miles" ahead of us [...]

How far ahead? Was it, by any chance ... five hundred miles?

Okay ... VCE isn't so stressful!
Disclaimer: I'm not Australian and have never participated in VCE and I wasn't good in highschool math. But you were asking for this. ;)

I'll put my photos in another post, so there's a clear distinction.

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 04:34:14 PM »
This year, I made two big trips. I don't normally do that (especially because it's so expensive), but it just so happened to work out this way.
In summer, I went to the Northern United States. In winter, I visited California.

So did you know that the Niagara Falls are situated on the border between the US and Canada?
And that if you want to see the full falls, you best go to the Canadian side? Americans can see half of them from the side only whereas the Canadians get the best seats in the house. So we went to Canada and got to witness people in blue raincoats (those get passed out on the US side) hiking up the side of the falls.

The next day, we boarded a ship to get all touchy-feely with them falls and got ourselves red raincoats (not pictured) because that's the colour they pass out on the Canadian side. That's what I got schmoozing up to those falls:

On the way back, my hosts said we just have to try those fantastic "dim sum" in that one town. I had heard the term before, but I had no idea what it actually was. Consider me a fan from now on!
(For those who are as clueless as I was: Those are little Chinese tidbits. You get a huge menu (if you're lucky) with several kinds of buns, filled noodles and other assorted small dishes, pick a few and then indulge in the varied tastes.

We went to see lots of other places, and I won't bug you with all the photos. This one I like a lot because it's so artsy. Can you guess what it shows?

I hopped on a plane and flew to New York to visit another friend who was willing to be my guide for a whole week (I was so glad that he'd just do that ... yay!). Also, he never complained when I did my usual spiel of "Wait, I gotta take a photo of this!". The patience of a saint ^^
Photowise, it was interesting how visually cluttered the city is. If you take a photo in New York, expect tons of people, buildings, signs and ... oh well, things to be in your snapshot.
We walked through the city, back and forth, up and down, to and fro and my feet only hurt, like, for the first 4 days. But it was totally worth it!
This is Chinatown:

One evening we crossed Times Square and I fell into photographer's delirium. When I came to, I had way too many shots of the place and my friend was still waiting, still friendly. So worth all the money I wasn't paying him to guide me around ^^
(And when we crossed it again and again in the next days, at day and at night, I was totally like a local - "Oh, yeah, Times Square. I so know this place. No need to take any photos.")

One morning when I was walking to the subway to get to my friend's house, I saw this yellow cab company and loved the colour composition ("This is gonna be such a cool photo"):

And on another occasion, I noticed something on a drink bottle that was funny to me as a foreigner - this would never be a selling point in Europe, but it is in a country where everything has high-fructose corn syrup in it:

Beats me where exactly I took this photo, but yeah, we all know how many skyscrapers there are in Manhattan:

This is what I mean by "visually cluttered". Just look how much there is in that snapshot:

Oof, that was a lot of work. Maybe I'll post my California images later.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 04:43:31 PM »
Those are really cool Sun :) I kinda wish I had pictures to show you guys but right now we're experiencing the worst Summer ever :reivsweat: still hot though.

What did you say that? Now he's gonna come in here singing it.

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 07:51:02 PM »
We went to see lots of other places, and I won't bug you with all the photos. This one I like a lot because it's so artsy. Can you guess what it shows?

Hmm... Could that be a device indicating that a certain facility is currently accessible to the public?

What did you say that? Now he's gonna come in here singing it.

...[spoiler]...[spoiler]...[spoiler]...[spoiler]...[spoiler]
[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

For those of you who don't know, I'm in Shanghai right now. I've been in China for just under a week, and the first few days I spent in Beijing. I'm going to be here for one more week, and then I'm going to fly to Tokyo, where I'm going to stay for a little over 2 weeks. After that, I'm going to fly up to Sapporo, where I'll stay for a few days before coming back to Tokyo to fly home. Technically I'm not on holiday (in America we call it "vacation"; "holiday" just means a day you celebrate) because I'm here for school. I'm considering making my own thread for this because I'm so much better than all of you I'm going to be in Asia for five weeks and will likely have several long posts regarding this trip.

Anywho, I might as well show you a few pictures of my trip (if the internet here is fast enough. I'm staying at a university where the dormitories have terrible wifi... ::))

My first flight was from Minneapolis to Seattle. At the Seattle airport, I ate a Spam Musubi at the request of Legacyblade.
I then hopped on a flight from Seattle to Beijing. It was eleven and a half hours long, and I listened to the exact same song on a loop for the whole flight. I have a feeling that I don't even need to tell you guys what it is  :vikonsmile:

Here's a picture of the Great Wall of China, a few miles north of Beijing. According to Reives, this is a rare sight, since it's usually smoggy and full of tourists:

Here's one of Tiananmen Square (Beijing):

And, past that gate, the Forbidden City (One picture can't do it justice, but the wifi here is so slow that it'll have to do):

Sorry about the massive size of the images (I guess that's a downside of having a really good camera :P ). As I said before, the wifi in my room is terribly slow, so I couldn't upload a lot of images (plus I'm not a good photographer). There's apparently another building here with great wifi, so I might post from there later.

Austin Li

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: stressed stressed
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 02:43:43 AM »
Roxazsu: I want those snacks.

Sun, the fall is so huge! I have to go there one day. I really haven't been to many places.
Thanks for the encouragement, it actually made me feel light.
I can't guess what the artsy neon sign thing shows. At first I thought I saw the word "open" but realized that it was more like an "f" not an "e". At least it is a neon sign right? No way it can be anything else. I am not that dumb, right!?
Probably turns out I am.

Dragon Mage.
I'll....I'll do something about my photos.

Marlin, how in heavens did you get blue sky when you were in Beijing!!!!??  :o
Well I am happy for you, because it was like a hell of dust when I went there.
The air is full of pm2.5, so please for the love of god buy a pm2.5 prove mask if you plan to stay there for more than a month. Actually, it won't do devastating harm unless you have been breathing that air for years, so I guess you are safe....kind of?

Please take care of yourself!  :reivsweat:

Wait, Kan has been to China in recent years?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:48:34 AM by Austin Li »
I love milk.

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 09:43:02 AM »

Hmm... Could that be a device indicating that a certain facility is currently accessible to the public?

I can't guess what the artsy neon sign thing shows. At first I thought I saw the word "open" but realized that it was more like an "f" not an "e". At least it is a neon sign right? No way it can be anything else. I am not that dumb, right!?

You guys are right, it's an "OPEN" neon sign next to an ice-cream shop that was photo-conveniently hanging at chest height.
(Trust your senses, Austin! ;))

Sorry about the massive size of the images (I guess that's a downside of having a really good camera :P ).

You can upload them at full quality and still have them show at medium size in a thread. That's what I did for mine - if anyone wants to see full quality, they just click on the photo and it takes them to the image hoster.
How does that work? I can't actually say, my image hoster just gives me a "medium size" BBCode tag complete with link to the original image.

Your photos so far make me a little jelly. They drive you around so you can see the cool places even, neat :D

Part 2: Trip to California
So I was in Sacramento, capital of California and their old city area seems sprung right from a Western. At first, I thought it's fake for the tourists, but those are actual historic buildings:

They also have a Tower Bridge, but for some reason, it's not a copy of the London one.
It can ride up along those two pylons, but sadly, we didn't get to witness that. It did look pretty cool on a model we saw at Wells Fargo (which is a bank nowadays - I've only ever heard of them as a coach company in Western movies).

Being that close, we did go to see "San Fran"(cisco) as well. From up on Twin Peaks, here's a night-time view:

Of course, when you go there, you just have to visit a certain bridge.

If you ever see this pyramid-shaped skyscraper in a movie, you know that it plays in San Fran. If only I could remember its name. Ah, Transamerica Pyramid! Thank you, Google.

One more snapshot from a Chinatown (I guess lots of cities have one in the States and Canada):

On the last day of 2015, we went to see Lake Tahoe, which has snow around this time of the year even though it's in Cali. Snow up to your knees ... and partially frozen creeks.

This is the actual lake, by the way:

And since my local friend is an anime fan (and the other European buddy who was visiting together with me is, too), she took us to a small anime convention. Thanks to listening to them before describing their favourite shows, I was able to recognize a lot of the art there even, yay.
Also, there were lots of cosplayers and it was just fascinating how you could walk up to them, be like "Would you mind if I take a photo?" and they'd be okay with that and pose for you right away.
Examples:
Wooly Captain America - easily my favourite:

Purple Spider-Man (is there a backstory to this?):

Iron Man, with Captain America photobombing:

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »
One more snapshot from a Chinatown (I guess lots of cities have one in the States and Canada):

There isn't one in the Twin Cities (although there is an area in St. Paul with a sizeable amount of people of Southeast Asian descent). But I think there might be a Chinatown here in Shanghai  :P.

Marlin, how in heavens did you get blue sky when you were in Beijing!!!!??  :o

Our guide said that it was because it was windy enough for the smog to be dispersed. It was actually much less smoggy than Shanghai.

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »
This is the longest reply that I ever make  :reivsweat:
But still fun to reply it though :)
=========================================================
Whoa, a lot of these are really cool Roxaszu! :)

Hey, that looks like one on NZs ferns:

But it might not be native to our country.

And suprisingly,
Well, Here's the truth :
Half Backpackers for a day (Include transport, Lunch, Snack, ticket

and everything else) to this place cost me about (Or less) than

10 USD (Seriously) :p

Wow, that's cheap! O_O

Anyway, I'd post some pictures but it's rather rainy today and I can't get any

good shots due to all he houses and trees. However I can post some pics of my

area from Google (due to us not going out very often) or even posts older pics

of when I went to Easter camp a couple years ago.

Yeah,
It's feels like back in dinosaur time by looking at the plant.

You probably want to go somewhere interesting near your house and just take a

picture there,
It's gotta be interesting for others :D

===============================================================

(As usually live in the city, It's pretty nice to see a mountain and trees

sometimes :) )

So exotic ... (gets dreamy eyes)

Just a little note,
That person on the lower left with the white shirt.
It's actually me :D

What IS that? And do you need my address to mail it? :D

It's one of yummy food here,
Kinda hard to describe, But trust me, The yellow one is really delicious ;)

How  about I sent you my video eating it,
That sounds better :9

This year, I made two big trips. I don't normally do that (especially because

it's so expensive), but it just so happened to work out this way.
In summer, I went to the Northern United States. In winter, I visited

California.

So did you know that the Niagara Falls are situated on the border

between the US and Canada?
And that if you want to see the full falls, you best go to the Canadian side?

Americans can see half of them from the side only whereas the Canadians get

the best seats in the house. So we went to Canada and got to witness people in

blue raincoats (those get passed out on the US side) hiking up the side of the

falls.

The next day, we boarded a ship to get all touchy-feely with them falls and

got ourselves red raincoats (not pictured) because that's the colour they pass

out on the Canadian side. That's what I got schmoozing up to those falls:

Niagara falls is really huge... O_O
But It looks nice :D
Gonna go there one day !

On the way back, my hosts said we just have to try those fantastic

"dim sum" in that one town. I had heard the term before, but I had no

idea what it actually was. Consider me a fan from now on!
(For those who are as clueless as I was: Those are little Chinese tidbits. You

get a huge menu (if you're lucky) with several kinds of buns, filled noodles

and other assorted small dishes, pick a few and then indulge in the varied

tastes.

Dim Sum are delicious, Isn't it ? :D
There's a lot here in Indonesia, We kinda like food lover here... :P

We went to see lots of other places, and I won't bug you with all the

photos. This one I like a lot because it's so artsy. Can you guess what

it shows?

Popeye ...?

I hopped on a plane and flew to New York to visit another friend who

was willing to be my guide for a whole week (I was so glad that he'd just do

that ... yay!). Also, he never complained when I did my usual spiel of "Wait,

I gotta take a photo of this!". The patience of a saint ^^

It is !
Specially if they are really good at taking our picture here and there xD

This is Chinatown:

Chinatown...
They are everywhere... :reivsweat:

I like this one,
It's beautiful. :)

==================================================================
I'm considering making my own thread for this because I'm so much

better than all of you I'm going to be in Asia for five weeks and will likely

have several long posts regarding this trip.

Please, Do !

Owh,
There's a restaurant in Japan called "Toilet Restaurant" In Japan. (Everything in it has connection with the bathroom, I just hope that they use clean water and not the water from ...  :reivsweat: )
You probably want to give it a try :D

Sorry about the massive size of the images (I guess that's a downside

of having a really good camera :P ). As I said before, the wifi in my room is

terribly slow, so I couldn't upload a lot of images (plus I'm not a good

photographer). There's apparently another building here with great wifi, so I

might post from there later.

No need to be a good photographer to get a good shot,
You took a rare shot !

==============================================================
Roxazsu: I want those snacks.

Sure !
Come here to Indonesia one day, And I'll give you one :D
But for now :  :plat:

Wait, Kan has been to China in recent years?

Good thinking,
I wonder that myself now...

Kinda wondering how Sun can know the link to Austin's photo in Imgur.
==============================================================

Being that close, we did go to see "San Fran"(cisco) as well. From up on Twin Peaks, here's a night-time view:

That is ...
really awesomely beautiful view...  O_O

One more snapshot from a Chinatown (I guess lots of cities have one in the States and Canada)

Guess they have it everywhere,
Even here  :reivsweat:

On the last day of 2015, we went to see Lake Tahoe, which has snow around this time of the year even though it's in Cali. Snow up to your knees ... and partially frozen creeks.

This is the actual lake, by the way:

Aaaaa !
Snow !
I like snow, But there's none of them here in My (Tropical) Country  :reivsweat:
wanna see them myself one day :)

Wooly Captain America - easily my favourite:

It is ~
She looks nice and the wolly looks pretty warm and comfy ~  :)
=====================================================================

There isn't one in the Twin Cities (although there is an area in St. Paul with a sizeable amount of people of Southeast Asian descent). But I think there might be a Chinatown here in Shanghai  :P.

Every town in China is a Chinatown, Lol :P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:58:44 PM by Roxaszu »

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 03:18:04 PM »
How  about I sent you my video eating it,
That sounds better :9
:'(

Kinda wondering how Sun can know the link to Austin's photo in Imgur.
Two ways:
a) Hit "Quote" next to the post and you'll see the quoted post in bare BBCode. So any hidden links are now visible. You can just copy them and paste them into your address bar.
b) View the source code of the page that contains the post and all links are visible, too. This way is a bit more of an effort because there is so much text on a forum page.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 11:29:30 PM »
Wow, there're some very cool pics here -- marking down potential places to visit one day. :)

Hm, my off-days are kinda eratic and I don't tend to go anywhere during actual holidays, so here're some from over the years during other holidays, if that's okay :p

Sheeps crossing the street (China):

Temple made of fruits (China):

Scenery from Western Canada:

Panorama of a lake near Banff:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55619539/p/cw_3lake.jpg

Sitting on tree:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55619539/p/IMG_1665.jpg

Panorama of scene with my aunt photographing:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55619539/p/cw_2apano.jpg

My favourite place there, Peyto Lake (was in A Bird Story :) ):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55619539/p/cw_1peyto.jpg

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 08:29:30 AM »
so here're some from over the years during other holidays, if that's okay :p
Sure !
Bring it up anything you want to post here that related to holiday / photo from any kind of place that you find interesting. :kardiansmile:

Sheeps crossing the street (China):

Just one question...
Why there's three traffic light accross the road ?
Is that from the side and accross ? (But it's red light and the left side just go on)  :deepstuff:

Temple made of fruits (China):

This is the right place to play fruit ninja... 8)

Scenery from Western Canada:

Panorama of a lake near Banff:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55619539/p/cw_3lake.jpg

Sitting on tree:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55619539/p/IMG_1665.jpg

Panorama of scene with my aunt photographing:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55619539/p/cw_2apano.jpg

My favourite place there, Peyto Lake (was in A Bird Story :) ):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55619539/p/cw_1peyto.jpg

I heard many good things from Canada,
But the scenery...
It's just amazing...  O_O
Some of them even looks like a painting for me ... 8)