Author Topic: To the Moon Novel Part 2  (Read 2411 times)

brcompau

• Tier 2
To the Moon Novel Part 2
« on: December 26, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »
Here is the next part to my novel! You can see the previous part in my other post.

Act 1
“I never told anyone... but I always thought they were lighthouses.”
CHAPTER 1 - Johnny
(Eva)
“Dr. Watts and Dr. Rosalene, I presume?” the woman at the door asked. “Thanks for coming on such a short notice.”
“That’s okay, I tend to be bad at predicting deaths as well,” Neil said. Ignoring him, I inquired, “Are you the patient’s daughter?”
She responded, “Oh, no. I am just his caretaker.” At that moment, two children ran through the room. “…And these are my children, Sarah and Tommy. It’s not exactly a nine-to-five job, so Johnny lets us live here.”
“I suppose this ‘Johnny’ is our man?” I asked.
Neil said, “…’Johnny’? Listen, it it’s a kid we’re dealing with, I don’t think we’re the ones you want.” The woman quickly told us that he was not a child, and just prefers the name Johnny. “He’s upstairs right now with his medical doctor. Come with me.”
I turned to Neil and said, “C’mon, grab that case and let’s go.” He smartly said in return, “…When my back breaks one day, I’ll sue you with the insurance claim.”
While Neil was walking back to the box, I finally got a chance to look around. Directly in front of us was a piano. I thought I heard music playing when I knocked on the door. To my left was a dining room and stairs leading to what I assumed to be a basement. To my right was a small, round table supporting a stack of books adjacent to a grandfather clock mounted on the wall. Also on my right was an unlit fireplace, next to which was the set of stairs up which the caretaker went.
Suddenly, I heard Neil say, “Alright, let’s head upstairs before I drop this.”
I began walking upstairs, and he soon began to follow.
“Ok, they’re gone!”
“Whoever gets there first gets to play the melody!!”
Tommy and Sarah run into the main room of the house, and Tommy jumps onto the piano before Sarah. His sister angrily tells him, “No fair! You pushed me.”
“Did not!” Tommy says in reply.
“Whatever, you get the boring two notes anyway.”
The two children begin playing the duet form of that song that they love so much, “For River.”
(Neil)
“…Those kids are pretty good for their age,” Eva said.
“Hey. You’re the one who said there was no time to waste. And incidentally, I’m the one who is carrying the weight of a small meteroid.”
“Yeah yeah, c’mon.”
We walked into a bedroom. On one side of the room, here was a wooden dresser next to a tropical plant, and on the other side of the room was a bookshelf and bunk bed. I wonder why there is a bunk bed there. I doubt thatSarah and Tommy sleep here. In the middle of the bedroom, there was, of course, a bed.
The caretaker is at the foot of the bed, and an old woman in scrubs (presumably the doctor) next to it. In the bed was an old man attached to an IV bag. I guessed that this was Johnny.
The doctor told us, “He’s unresponsive at this point, but by the looks of things, he’s still consciously hanging on. It’s hard to say how long you’ll have, but I would hurry.”
We walked over to the caretaker, and she asked if we were ready to set up. Eva said “Yes. It’ll just be a moment.”
After we set up the machine (and by ‘we’, I mean ‘I’), the caretaker inquired, “…Are you sure a common household power outlet is sufficient?” I reassured her by saying, “No worries, we’re the experts.” Eva plugged the cord in, and all of the lights in the house went out.
“…Oh crap,” I said, worried about our lack of power. After a few seconds, the lights came back on, and to cover up my momentary sign of weakness, I said aloud, “Standard procedures…Just keeping ya on your toes!”
I pressed a button to complete the setup, and the monitor expanded into four screens and began to glow with sky blue light.
(Eva)
   I walked up to Johnny’s medical doctor and asked, “How’s he doing?” She replied, “Not so well. If I were to say, he’s got just a day or two left.” I told her that that would be plenty of time. I walked to the foot of the bed.
   “…So you two can grant him any wish, huh?” The caretaker asked from behind me. “To try, at least.” The machine always has limitations, but we try our best to fulfill our patients’ wishes.
   Neil butted in from across the room, “But we always succeed, because we’re awesome.” I ignored him and asked the caretaker, “So, what’s the wish?”
“The moon.”
“The moon?”
“The moon…He wants to go to the moon.”
“The geezers just keep on getting crazier, huh?” Would Neil just be quiet for five minutes? I stared at him with the intensity of a million suns, hoping to get my point across. The woman next to me said, “So, can you do it?”
   “…It depends,” I replied.
   “She meant to say ‘yes’,” Neil interjected (Argh!).
   Once again pretending he wasn’t there, I asked, “Why don’t you tell us about our client here?”
   “That…I don’t really know much. Johnny’s and odd man. Through the two years I’ve worked here, he rarely spoke. He worked as a craftsman for most of his life, and his wife passed away two years ago. I don’t really know many details.”
Neil said, “I would’ve known more if I were his paperboy for Pete’s sake.”
   “Shush, just do your thing,” I sternly told him.
   “Well…I suppose if you look around the house, you may find some more info. I don’t think that Johnny would mind, since he signed for you two.” After thinking for a little, I said, “Mm…So be it.” I turned to Neil. “Alright, which one of us plays detective?”
   “Thanks for the offer, but I’m busy leaving a butt-print on this chair.”
   “Right,” I said. “Do continue.”
   I heard the caretaker’s voice from behind me saying, “Tommy and Sarah can show you around. They’re probably at the piano downstairs.” I thanked her and put my hand on the doorknob to leave.
“Wait, come back here for a moment,” the doctor said. “I have something for you.”
I walked over to her. She said, “Here, take this.” She gave me a remote patient monitor. This device can track someone’s heart rate from anywhere within range (which is pretty big).
   “That’ll keep you updated on Johnny’s status.” To hide that I forgot about it, I told her, “Thanks, I was just going to ask for it.” I opened the door to the stairs, and I could hear the beautiful music resonating off of the walls. Sometimes in this job you need something like this to remind you that there is happiness in the world. It can get pretty depressing working with people that are on their deathbed. I smiled and walked downstairs.