Author Topic: To the Moon Novel  (Read 2091 times)

brcompau

• Tier 2
To the Moon Novel
« on: December 26, 2015, 10:54:42 AM »
Hello, everyone! After playing To The Moon, I decided that the game's story should not only be shown to people who play the game, but also to people who don't want to. Here is my product so far (It is a WIP). I have seen other storybooks and novels of the game, but they are mostly just the script written down. In this adaptation, I tried to add description and feeling to the characters (mostly to make up for the lack of music in the book). I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback, especially constructive criticism.

P.S. If anyone knows of a good written version of the entire game, please tell me right away! Most adaptations show less than an hour of the game, and I would love to see a completed version!

Here is the first part because I can't upload too much at one time!

Introduction – The Journey
Sarah sits at the piano, with her brother, Tommy, behind her, as she plays the song written by their mother’s employer. They both love the song, and would often fight over who would play the melody. Neither she nor Tommy knows the importance of the song, but it feels like it has a deeper meaning than just notes on a page. It’s…it’s…
   CRASH!!!  A loud noise interrupts the beautiful tune and the two children jump in surprise.
(Eva)
I got out of the car, happy to be alive, and I looked in despair at the damage. That idiot ran the car right into the tree. Dr. Neil Watts opened his door, and walked out of the vehicle with his annoying unworried look.
“Where were you looking, Neil?!” I demanded. “Well, excuse me for heroically evading that squirrel coming out of nowhere!” He responded. Who cares about the squirrel?  I looked back at the road, and the poor animal was flattened and motionless.
“…You ran over it anyways.” I said, even more disappointed.
“…Oh.”
“You ran over it and hit a tree…”
Neil sighed and said, “Look, don’t worry, it’s a company car.” I yelled at him, “Are you kidding me? The boss is going to kill us!” resting his head on his fist, he responded, “Hm…We’ll just say I was saving a puppy. He likes puppies, right?”
I informed my colleague that he was more of a cat person. Exasperatedly, he said, “…Why does the world have to be so complicated? Fine. Whatever furball he fancies. Crisis averted.” I told him to go write that on his report later. “Let’s grab the equipment from the car and move already.” Neil grabbed the large, silver box from the wreckage, saying, “got the sucker. Let’s roll.” and I began to walk towards the house. Neil told me to turn off the car, and to hide that I forgot, I said, “Just wanted to see if you’d remember.” I pressed the button on my remote, and the car turned off. “How thoughtful of you,” He responded.
(Neil)
I walked down the path to the right, taking in the beautiful scenery while the equipment was crushing me into a fine powder. Eva and I were very different people, but even though we fought a lot, we were still good friends. Regardless, I still don’t know why she was so worked up about the stupid car. We didn’t get hurt, did we?
Anyway, I was following Eva through the woods until we came to a boulder. Eva asked, “…Who put a boulder here?”
I offered that it could be their security system. My partner angrily said, “Cucumbers…We don’t have time for this fluff. Let’s try pushing it out of the way.”
I said, “Maybe we could find a tree branch to jack it with—Wait…Or, we could just call it a night and blame it on that!”
Eva decided to go find a branch. Without knowing what to do, I followed her. I remembered seeing a branch on the path behind us, but then again, I probably saw hundreds. I was thinking of mentioning this to her, but I mostly likely would have lost my head. Her face was becoming so red with anger, I was afraid my friend was becoming a tomato. She picked up a stick on the ground (not the one I found, of course), and walked back to the boulder.
“Alright, this better work…”
Eva jabbed the stick onto the boulder, and, surprisingly, the rock collapsed, deflated. “What was that?” I asked, shocked at the new development in our journey.
“I...I don’t even…” Eva tried to respond, but she was obviously as confused as I was. After finally regaining her voice, she said, “It’s some kind of an air ball…” There was an awkward silence (I was still a little shocked). She broke it by saying, “…Uh, right, we need to get going for now.”
“Riiight…” Her expression of calm and seriousness was not fooling me. Two squirrels passed us as we walked, one orange and one black. Don’t run into the road, little guys!
I wished that Eva would slow down. I didn’t think that she understood my situation; she was quickly walking to our destination, absolutely regardless of my burden. Oh well… we were almost there anyway.
(Eva)
This area really was quite beautiful, with steams intertwining around hollow logs and grand, luscious trees. It would have been perfect if Neil hadn’t been constantly complaining about the weight of the equipment.
On the other side of a fence to my left, I saw a pond, dotted with lily pads. Wow. If I was a frog, this is where I would want to live. In front of me was the entrance to our patient’s property.
Within the brown fence was a hand-made bench, several tree stumps artistically carven into beautiful shapes, and a small flower bed with layers of yellow and red blossoms surrounded by a cobblestone ring. The house was pained a beautiful shade of blue, with indigo flowers outlining the front wall. Now that we were here, I hoped that there would be no further complications.
   Inside the house, Sarah is interrupted for the second time by a knock on the door. She and tommy both know a little about whom the people at the door were, but their mother only mentioned it once or twice. They know that they are doctors, but little else. Tommy yells up to the second floor, “Ma! They’re here!”
   Lily hears her son’s call, and looks out the window to check. Sure enough, there is a man and woman in white with a large metal container just outside the door. She begins walking down the stairs to meet them.
(Neil)
   Eve was obviously enjoying all of this nature. I probably would have been too if a giant box wasn’t in the way. We arrived at the door, and I really wanted to put the equipment down, but knowing my luck, the moment I tried to rest, the door would open.
“…Not a bad place to retire at, huh?”  Eva asked. “I could do better,” I said. “Nightshifts; love ‘em or hate ‘em?” She answered, “You know the answer, you stupid owl,” and knocked on the door again. I told her that it was probably going to be another all-nighter. “I know.”
“And I doubt they’d have any coffee…”
“Shut up,” my partner said.
“…and the ocean waves will sing lullabies…”
“Not through your blathering, they won’t.”
“And your eyelids wil-” I was cut short by the door being opened. Eve walked inside, and I began to follow.
“Don’t forget the equipment, moron.”
I walked back to my mortal enemy, forced to resume the struggle between good and giant metal boxes. I don’t get paid enough for this. I picked it up and slowly walked backwards through the door.