Author Topic: The bittersweet brilliance of to the moon.  (Read 2020 times)

zappian

• Tier 2
The bittersweet brilliance of to the moon.
« on: November 03, 2015, 02:59:16 PM »
So i am a bit late to the party and i just finished to the moon.

I felt I needed to make a little write up about the things I enjoyed about this amazing game , because it just meant the world to me and I would like to share it with you if you are willing to read it.

**Spoilers Ahead**

I think the thing I loved the most about the game its the bitter-sweet feeling it left me . If you think about it the ending ended on a happy note , johnny got his wish to go to the moonbefore he passed and got his dying wish fulfilled .

However River his wife died refusing medical treatment forgoing it to the construction of their house next to the light house , she did this because that house , that house near the lighthouse was a symbol of their love , and the tragic thing about this was that john didn't remember how they met in the first place.

River spent most of their life making paper bunnies , some of them coloured white as the moon , some of them coloured blue and yellow as a dark starry night and she did this , she cut her hair,she went back in time to maybe , maybe make him remember.

She was telling him : " No you didn't start dating me because I was the odd girl on high school , we were meant to be together, we were fated to be together since that starry night please listen to me , please..".

And what is sad is because of john´s tragedy with his brother , because of that he could not listen nor understand.

His brothers death created even more tragedy in its wake.

River died without him understanding and that's so god damn sad .

River forfeited her treatment because that lighthouse meant the world to her .

She told John stars were little light houses talking to her and she would one day befriend one of them. In the end she died never accomplishing what she really wanted , doesnt that break your heart into a million tiny pieces?

If you excuse me I am going to snuggle up in a little ball and cry ..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 03:01:44 PM by zappian »

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: The bittersweet brilliance of to the moon.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 03:32:14 PM »
It is quite a brilliant game. And don't worry, you're not late to the party, it was made a few years ago, but that doesn't really matter. Welcome to the Freebird forums anyway.
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 03:34:53 PM »
It doesn't matter when you play it, just as long as you enjoy the story :) anyway welcome!

:plat:

(Psst, you should also play Quintessence. It's amazing!)
PLS FIX OUR FORUM PROFILES!! :'(

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
That thing with River never cutting through the fog in Johnny's head, and even the doctors not managing to, was one of the reasons why I was unhappily restless about To the Moon for a long time (but I was was impressed and touched by the story nevertheless, and grew quite fond of it). Bittersweet for sure.
I did notice later on though that there is that short segment at the beginning of the credits that continues the story. Johnny dies in ignorance, but after that, we see young Johnny join young River on the tree trunk, in front of a white background, and he unpacks the platypus from it. That's not a memory. During their first meeting, things didn't go this way: There, he gave her the toy before he had to run. Here, River was waiting for him, and he's the one who arrives. Kan must mean the afterlife by this. Going by that, at the very end, Johnny did remember.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:55:26 PM by Khorsheed »