Author Topic: One year ago today...  (Read 2992 times)

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
One year ago today...
« on: October 04, 2015, 07:26:27 PM »
WARNING: LONG POST ALERT

One year ago today, on October 4 2014, I played To the Moon for the first (and, so far, only) time. Huzzahs are in order! I feel like now is a good time for me to tell the whole story.

It all started in January 2013, around the time that the Harlem Shake ruled the Internet. I was on a retreat in northern Minnesota with my church's youth group. The group stayed in a large cabin, with two people sleeping in each room. I was sitting in my room when my best friend, with whom I was sharing my room, opened the door and randomly uttered a (highly inappropriate) joke. He proceeded to show me a YouTube video where he got that joke. The video was uploaded by PewDiePie, whom I had never heard of until then, and it featured edited clips of his Ao Oni playthrough (the controversial video has since been taken down by PewDiePie). A few days later, when we arrived back home, I watched his playthrough of Ao Oni (this was the first i had ever heard of RPG Maker) and immediately became interested in PewDiePie.

Now you might be thinking, "Let me guess: You eventually watched the To the Moon playthrough and decided to buy the game!". You would be wrong in thinking that. And I'm glad that I didn't watch Pewds's playthrough of it. More on that later.

I watched PewDiePie, almost religiously, for the next few months, until October/November (still 2013), when I watched his playthrough of The Crooked Man (uploaded the previous spring, around March-April 2013, if I'm not mistaken). This is probably my favorite PewDiePie series of all time. I loved the way he played it, and the game was so good that I played it shortly afterwards. For those who don't know, it's an RPG-style horror game about a man who goes on a quest to find the previous tenant of his new apartment. The game has a great storyline and a very emotional ending. After playing this game, I decided that I wanted to get RPG Maker XP and make a horror game. I downloaded the free trial, but it expired before i could do anything significant :(. For the next few months, I pondered buying RMXP for $25, but never did.

I'm so glad that I didn't.

In June of 2014, my brother told me about the weekly Humble Bundle, telling me that the current bundle had RPG Maker. I was so excited to hear this, and for $12 I bought the bundle, with RMXP and RMVX Ace. There were a whole bunch of RPG Maker games in the bundle, which I assumed were just filler. I clicked one at random, thinking, "Ah, what the heck, maybe someday when I'm bored I'll play it". By now I'm assuming you all know what game this was. For a few months, that little lighthouse icon sat on my desktop, gathering proverbial dust.

I went to college at the beginning of September 2014. In high school, I had a lot of friends and felt happy. But since coming to college, I have suddenly had a much harder time making friends. As a result, I have spent much more time by myself. Social anxiety really sucks. But one weekend while I was sitting in my room instead of socializing, I somehow decided that I should get around to playing that game that had been sitting on my desktop for so long.

I had no idea it would be as good as it was. I don't think anything has made me as emotional as To the Moon. As with many great works of media, I didn't fully appreciate it until a while after I finished it. It took me quite a while to comprehend it fully, and I slowly grew to love it to the point of obsession. Don't get me wrong, I liked it even while playing it, but I loved it even more later. I'm glad that I didn't see a Let's Play before having played it, as I feel like that would have taken some of the emotion out of the game for me. Had I not played To the Moon, I don't know what the past year would have been like for me. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this game has changed my life. It has helped me through a time that has been very rough for me. The game has led me to Freebirdia, for which I am very grateful.

I should probably wrap this up soon. Props to you for reading this far though!

It's kinda funny how a lewd rape joke can lead me to an obsession a couple years down the line. But that's not what's important. What's important is how much this game has touched me. Thank you to my friend for telling that joke, to PewDiePie, to my brother, to Kan, and to all of you! :vikonsmile:

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
Re: One year ago today...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:37:58 PM »
(Eh not sure what to put here! Um... cool?) I wish I could say the same but I didn't know about RPG maker before watching TtM. But I'm glad we're all here now :)

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »
That's a very interesting story!
I'm glad to hear you could take so much out of that game :)
I can relate to growing to enjoy the game more with time. Especially so after I had made a kind of peace with the fact that in her lifetime, River never experienced a Johnny who remembers their first meeting.

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »
Wow,
That's nice,
How about the RPG Maker VXA ?

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »
Wow,
That's nice,
How about the RPG Maker VXA ?

RMXP allows for much prettier maps. So I'm guessing that's why he's using it over VXA.