Author Topic: "For River" used (or stolen) in an italian RAI TV program  (Read 6168 times)

Ancurio

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: blank blank
Re: "For River" used (or stolen) in an italian RAI TV program
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 12:08:47 PM »
National TV, right? Don't they have some sort of "fair use" clause allowing them to do this? I remember once hearing a track from "Rayman 2" in a German national TV broadcast and just assumed they're allowed to do that, but maybe it was more a case of "nobody is ever going to recognize this anyway lol".

Arkad2

• Tier 2
  • A spoon from the skies
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 06:32:06 PM »
You little copyrights, Internet is free, and I think, if they want to use this music, then why not? It's not a robbery, it's not a pirated game, uploaded on the torrents, and I'll give you a surprise, all of "To The Moon" soundtracks are already on YouTube. The fact they use it should really flatter Kan, because they valued his music so much, didn't they?
Art thou pale for weariness
      Of climbing heaven and gazing on the earth,
Wandering companionless
      Among the stars that have a different birth,
            And ever changing, like a joyless eye
            That finds no object worth its constancy?

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 02:24:52 AM »
Ah man, I'm not sure I got you correctly here, Arkad2, so forgive me if I didn't. But contrary to popular belief, copyright exists on the internet. It's just a lot easier to break than in the real world - using a song you don't have the rights to costs nothing but a few mouse clicks as compared to, say, sitting down to take the measures of that brand clothing you want to copy, then finding fabric, cutting it, sewing it etc.
And while this doesn't hurt Kan, he also doesn't benefit of it since they didn't even give viewers the name of the song in case they want to buy it. There was a similar case with the Disney series Glee when they used a song by Jonathan Coulton and didn't pay him for it nor mention it was from him. When they were found out and somebody apparently said they did him a favour by using his work and spreading it that way, others pointed out how he would benefit of that with not a single mention of his name within the series.

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 08:45:05 PM »
Ah man, I'm not sure I got you correctly here, Arkad2, so forgive me if I didn't. But contrary to popular belief, copyright exists on the internet. It's just a lot easier to break than in the real world - using a song you don't have the rights to costs nothing but a few mouse clicks as compared to, say, sitting down to take the measures of that brand clothing you want to copy, then finding fabric, cutting it, sewing it etc.
And while this doesn't hurt Kan, he also doesn't benefit of it since they didn't even give viewers the name of the song in case they want to buy it. There was a similar case with the Disney series Glee when they used a song by Jonathan Coulton and didn't pay him for it nor mention it was from him. When they were found out and somebody apparently said they did him a favour by using his work and spreading it that way, others pointed out how he would benefit of that with not a single mention of his name within the series.
Well said.
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Sergio95

• Tier 2
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 10:45:58 PM »

Burned.