Author Topic: Are MOBAs any good?  (Read 8949 times)

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
Are MOBAs any good?
« on: August 23, 2015, 04:41:44 AM »
That wouldn't make for a very entertaining stream.

Well, Skyrim may not be the most interesting video game ever created, but it can't be more boring than a MOBA.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
Re: Are MOBAs any good?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 01:00:49 PM »
Well, Skyrim may not be the most interesting video game ever created, but it can't be more boring than a MOBA.

Sick burn Kyo ;) One I wholeheartedly support. Except of course my moba of choice. <Insert my favorite MOBA here> is clearly the only fun one and the only MOBA that really is a MOBA or any good.

On the otherhand, I stream GAME DEVELOPMENT. Like, coding and artwork. I still can't understand why I or anyone else actually watches those streams. But I someone enjoy watching them, and others clearly enjoy watching them or they wouldn't come watch me :P So I think as long as you're fun to hang out with and hold good conversations with the chat, you could stream yourself watching wallpaper dry and people will come watch.

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »
I'm probably gonna wait a few weeks to start streaming, since I will have access to a wired connection in my dorm (it's not the best, but it's faster than my home wifi). Also I'm hoping to get a Blue mic soon.

Kyden

• Tier 2
  • nope
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 04:31:32 PM »

Whats that supposed to mean? Plenty of people stream MOBAs, and they do it well. And Skyrim is plenty interesting, hell more interesting than most games, but its just not good stream material.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
I'm probably gonna wait a few weeks to start streaming, since I will have access to a wired connection in my dorm (it's not the best, but it's faster than my home wifi). Also I'm hoping to get a Blue mic soon.

That will definitely help make your stream better :D

Whats that supposed to mean? Plenty of people stream MOBAs, and they do it well. And Skyrim is plenty interesting, hell more interesting than most games, but its just not good stream material.

There's a good portion of gamers who just don't get how people enjoy MOBAs. From the outside it looks like a lot of angry people yelling at eachother and one side loosing pretty much the entire 45+ minute game. I think Heroes of the Storm is mildly enjoyable, but it's still not that great. Kyo is obviously one of the gamers who dislikes MOBAs

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:39:49 PM »
What about Half Life 2? I bet since I'm still playing it blind, it'd make a pretty funny stream :P

Kyden

• Tier 2
  • nope
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 01:53:23 AM »
You streaming HL2 could be funny. Escpecially with me crying in the background trying to explain the puzzles and stuff.

As for MOBAs, i get that not everyone likes it, but just because you don't like it, you can't say its bad.

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 03:32:31 AM »
As for MOBAs, i get that not everyone likes it, but just because you don't like it, you can't say its bad.
Ah, but that's wrong. As a matter of fact, I can. Just because I have my own opinion, doesn't mean I can't be objective. For example, I don't like Starcraft, but if you asked me, I'd tell you it's a great game. I also hate Final Fantasy X-2 with passion, but I can't not admit the combat is good, because that's a fact. Just how most MOBAs being bad is a fact. Most, like LoL, Dota or HotS, but I haven't played all MOBAs, so I can't say they're all bad. Maybe at least some of them require some actual skill, instead of forcing players to click each other to death and pray for a good party.

But wait, this is not the right place to discuss the matter. Especially when I could talk for hours about how bad are MOBAs and why, and - this may come as a surprise, but I'm being completely serious - why they're killing the gaming industry (though they're only a small part of the cancer on it).

Kyden

• Tier 2
  • nope
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 01:59:20 PM »
Ah, but that's wrong. As a matter of fact, I can. Just because I have my own opinion, doesn't mean I can't be objective. For example, I don't like Starcraft, but if you asked me, I'd tell you it's a great game. I also hate Final Fantasy X-2 with passion, but I can't not admit the combat is good, because that's a fact. Just how most MOBAs being bad is a fact. Most, like LoL, Dota or HotS, but I haven't played all MOBAs, so I can't say they're all bad. Maybe at least some of them require some actual skill, instead of forcing players to click each other to death and pray for a good party.

But wait, this is not the right place to discuss the matter. Especially when I could talk for hours about how bad are MOBAs and why, and - this may come as a surprise, but I'm being completely serious - why they're killing the gaming industry (though they're only a small part of the cancer on it).
Just saying most MOBAs is bad is a fact - that is simply being ignorant. And saying that a game like LoL doesn't require skill is also extremely ignorant. In fact, LoL requires more skill than pretty much every other game I've played. You should do more research before you say these things - If LoL didn't require skill, it wouldn't have 27 million people watching Worlds 2014. And it wouldn't even have tournaments like that. If you think LoL doesn't take any skill and its just clicking eachother and hoping for the best, I dare you to install the game and find out. League of Legends isn't like most video games, in truth, it's more comparable to football (American or not) or something.

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
Just saying most MOBAs is bad is a fact - that is simply being ignorant.

I played 4 or 5 MOBAs, including the 3 most popular and considered best - LoL, Dota 2 and HotS. They were bad. If they're the best, it is my understanding that at least most of the others are bad as well. Just simple logic. But if you insist, okay - I'm not saying MOBA is a bad genre, because I haven't played them all. I'll narrow it down to just those I played. They are bad.

And saying that a game like LoL doesn't require skill is also extremely ignorant. In fact, LoL requires more skill than pretty much every other game I've played.

Well, you do need a few hours to get how skills and stuff work, I'll give you that. Basically, it's like a memory game. It's hard until you learn all the fields. The rest depends on the teams anyway.

You should do more research before you say these things - If LoL didn't require skill, it wouldn't have 27 million people watching Worlds 2014.

Because people don't like complicated things. Of course more people would watch a LoL game than, for example, read about quantum physics. So, quantum physics is easier than LoL?
And by the way, Justin Bieber's "Boyfriend" music video has been watched almost 500 millions of times, only on YT. That sure means it's good and complicated.
Spoiler: show
Well, listening to it does require some skill though.

And it wouldn't even have tournaments like that. If you think LoL doesn't take any skill and its just clicking eachother and hoping for the best, I dare you to install the game and find out. League of Legends isn't like most video games, in truth, it's more comparable to football (American or not) or something.

I did and I'm not wasting any more time on it just to prove something to someone.
It's more comparable to Warcraft 3 multiplayer mod rather. However the original Warcraft 3 was more complex.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »
Just because I have my own opinion, doesn't mean I can't be objective....Just how most MOBAs being bad is a fact. Most, like LoL, Dota or HotS, but I haven't played all MOBAs, so I can't say they're all bad. Maybe at least some of them require some actual skill, instead of forcing players to click each other to death and pray for a good party.

Alright first off, "good" or "bad" (especially when speaking about entertainment) are not objectively definable. It always comes down to opinion. I can explain to you why icecream is disgusting until I'm blue in the face, but it's a matter of taste. I don't like MOBAs, but you can't dismiss them as "objectively bad" or claim their low quality as a fact that none can dispute.

Also, if you think they don't require skill, you know nothing about them at ALL. While it's true, one amazing player will lose if his entire team sucks, that doesn't mean skill isn't a factor in the game. In Soccer (football to everyone outside the US), you'd need one INSANELY good player to face off against a team of even moderate skill if his teammates are incompetent. MOBAs involve as much mind game and strategic positioning as any fighting game or RTS. I think the top down carpal tunnel inducing click-spam control scheme is awful, but that doesn't remove skill from the game.

Kyo, I respect your opinions, but you have to realize that they're just opinions not facts. By the "objective" standards of most games critics, To the Moon is "factually" a bad game (or not a game depending on who you ask). But the things that are objective problems with the game to them are unimportant to us or part of what make us enjoy the game.

(I still hate LOL though. It's truly unpleasant to play :P Everyone is angry ALL THE TIME)

You should do more research before you say these things - If LoL didn't require skill, it wouldn't have 27 million people watching Worlds 2014.

I have to agree with Kyo. That doesn't make any sense. People watch stupid crap all the time.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:14:16 PM by legacyblade »

Kyden

• Tier 2
  • nope
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 03:35:23 PM »
Yeah, I guess something isn't just good because its popular, but still.
Like what legacy said, something isn't bad just because you don't like it. Also, I havn't played the original warcraft 3 mod, so I don't know. While a lot of it is a game of memory, thats only a small amount. MOBAs do require a lot of strategy, deciding when to take objectives, if you can teamfight, ect.
And I have nothing against people who don't like the game. It can be EXTREMELY upleasant to play, as the community largely does suck. That however, applies to pretty much all MOBAs, and MANY games in general. Any competitive muiltiplayer game has a sucky community. Still, when you get a good game, its a lot of fun, and playing with friends is great.

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 03:32:06 AM »
I'd like to remind you two we're in Chatter Spot. This is not Debates/Serious Discussions. So please, act accordingly.

I don't really have anything against MOBAs or LoL personally. I just wanted to see how people would react, because it was getting boring.

Though I don't agree with legacyblade about being objective. You could say the same thing about two cars - 1 and 2. You can like the first one more, but objectively the latter is better.

Just like that, I have fun playing Nosgoth. And Nosgoth is a bad game.

Spoiler: show

Almost as bad as LoL.

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 03:55:26 AM »
I'd like to remind you two we're in Chatter Spot. This is not Debates/Serious Discussions. So please, act accordingly.

I don't really have anything against MOBAs or LoL personally. I just wanted to see how people would react, because it was getting boring.

So you got exactly what you were hoping for. A reaction. Good.
But why exactly would serious arguments be forbidden in that reaction?

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 04:01:28 AM »
But why exactly would serious arguments be forbidden in that reaction?
Because I objectively say so which means it's a fact.