Author Topic: Can't Launch the Game  (Read 4380 times)

Techno199

• Tier 2
Can't Launch the Game
« on: July 19, 2015, 05:22:08 AM »
Can anyone give me a hand? I can't launch the game for some reason, it always comes up with this:

Does anyone know how to fix this, already tried changing DEP settings and trying to run as administrator.

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
Re: Can't Launch the Game
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 06:59:55 PM »
Do you have any non-English characters in your Windows user's account name?
Can you please create a new Windows user account and try starting To the Moon with that account?

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:30:58 AM »
If that doesn't work, please also try copy-pasting the attached 2 files into your To the Moon folder (you can get there by right clicking TtM in Steam library -> Property -> Local Files & Folders -> View Local Files). To the Moon.ini would be overriding the existing file there. Sorry for the inconvenience! (And thanks Eli!)

Techno199

• Tier 2
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 12:20:32 PM »
Do you have any non-English characters in your Windows user's account name?
Can you please create a new Windows user account and try starting To the Moon with that account?

Thanks for the help, it did work on another account, but I don't have any non english characters in my account name so that is strange I will play it on the other account, ty for your help :)

If that doesn't work, please also try copy-pasting the attached 2 files into your To the Moon folder (you can get there by right clicking TtM in Steam library -> Property -> Local Files & Folders -> View Local Files). To the Moon.ini would be overriding the existing file there. Sorry for the inconvenience! (And thanks Eli!)

The other method worked so I didn't try this but thanks for replying, also if I did this, would it work on my main account or is it a fix for another error which isn't to do with the account swapping error? Thanks :)

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 07:58:48 PM »
You're welcome :)
It is simple to undo Reives's fix in case you want to get back to the previous state (and you can backup your game files just in case), so why not try it with your main account and share the results with us? :)

Techno199

• Tier 2
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 06:25:55 AM »
You're welcome :)
It is simple to undo Reives's fix in case you want to get back to the previous state (and you can backup your game files just in case), so why not try it with your main account and share the results with us? :)

Tried it, and the same error occurred, reverted it back to how it was before :3

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:07:20 AM »
Tried it, and the same error occurred, reverted it back to how it was before :3
Thanks for sharing the results :)

I'm glad that the new user account workaround works for you, hopefully eventually a permanent fix will be found.

Zeriab

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 11:00:04 AM »
Never seen an issue like this before. It's strange.

Looks like the Python installer messed up your environmental variable.
I bet it mistakenly added ;C:\Python34 to %APPDATA% instead of %PATH%

To the Moon uses the following save path: %APPDATA%\To the Moon - Freebird Games
With your %APPDATA% being ;C:\Python34 we end up with the game trying to use C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming;C:\Python34\To the Moon - Freebird Games as the save path. Being an invalid path we get that error.

In Windows development terminology the Roaming Applicatio Data folder is a Known Folder. With the API for Known Folders clearly being single folder focused I expect you may run into similar problems with other programs and games.

Manually removing ;C:\Python34 from %APPDATA% should fix the issue. (Remember to backup, messing with environmental variables can be risky. Only do it if you are sure of what you do, and be careful)
If it's not already there having the path added to %PATH% could allow you to use Python binaries from CMD.

*hugs*
 - Zeriab