Author Topic: [Split from original Topic] US Election stuff  (Read 5371 times)

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
[Split from original Topic] Election
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 12:51:40 AM »
I guess you can call that a landside, what surprised me though is what my friend had told me. She stated that while we were playing this game, some people ran into the streets and allies screaming "Obama won", is it me or is that not needed? Latley I found myself looking into the elections more and more then it suddenly was over   :'(. I think the last debate seriously hurt, Mccain's chances as it was that he became aggressive and rude (Though rumors as much I heard, I missed it) and that some people were thinking less of his ideas and that his ideas for economy were starting to look bad.[/rant]

Really don't take anything up their seriously as its over now and  Congrats Abi, on voting!

P.S.

I'm sure you'll live without an election.

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 12:54:35 AM »
Well, yeah electoral landslide, but that just hurt. lol. And while the electoral college is what actually counts, I'd kind of like to see something closer to a ten point popular vote lead to say it's a landslide, you know? I guess that's just me.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 01:00:24 AM »
some people ran into the streets and allies screaming "Obama won"
Well I bet somewhere out there there were people who ran out to the street screaming "WE'VE BEEN TAKEN OVER BY TERRORISTS!"

Well, yeah electoral landslide, but that just hurt. lol. And while the electoral college is what actually counts, I'd kind of like to see something closer to a ten point popular vote lead to say it's a landslide, you know? I guess that's just me.
Okay okay, let's use the measurement that doesn't count within the election process as a device of electoral landslide then. :P I know I know, just teasing. I'm stopping now!

I wonder what CNN's gonna show all day long now that it's over. Perhaps some good ol' fashioned China-bashing. :~

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 01:06:22 AM »
Yeah, yeah, I'm the loser and I'm wrong. :'( Next time I vote, though, maybe one of my candidates will win! That would be exciting!

Unfortunately, Reives, Heath Toffeebits is already elected as the next commander-in-treat. You'll have to wait until the next custard election cycle to vote. But it's totally bogus because Reese E. Buttercup won the electoral like crazy. But I guess custard goes the other way around (or the people who designed that didn't expect the difference to be so crazy...)
I'm assuming you figured out which was which?

Anyway, I have an entertaining story! My youngest sister started singing
that creepy Obama song
, and then all of a sudden the laptop nearby FINISHED THE SONG! and it had been hibernating! Lol, my sisters were so creeped out it was hilarious.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:19:44 AM by abigailian »
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

menti

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 5
  • Ça plane pour moi
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 01:09:19 AM »
Lol, at lunchtime my friends and I were crowded around the computer watching it online. One of my friends was like omg McCains winning by 13 states (it was 16 to 3) and I'm like, er, no dumbass.

How many people voted.... approximately? It is very odd to me that you can choose to vote, as we have compulsory voting, but I suppose it would stop all the donkey voting :D

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 01:16:03 AM »
@Abi:
It's just one voted more to the other by the majority; right & wrong is arbitrary. (You know I have to say that as a response, hahah. :p)

@Menti:
Hm, I did some brief searches and couldn't find it; it should be up by tomorrow.

----
But seriously, "screw the elections" was what I thought after I saw this on TV: http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=609.0 <-FR3HNJ0OFCRH0AQ NCFF AAHHHHHHHH
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:49:06 AM by Question Mark? »

james_the_composer

• Tier 4
    • Takutogame
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Re: [Split from original Topic] US Election stuff
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 08:15:21 PM »
allies screaming "Obama won", is it me or is that not needed?

It's been a rough 2 years. -___-' Most haven't been able to hold on to the last of their insanity by now....

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 03:04:49 PM »
@Abi:
It's just one voted more to the other by the majority; right & wrong is arbitrary. (You know I have to say that as a response, hahah. :p)

Lol, it's just tough being the only remotely sane outspoken McCain supporter here. :P

allies screaming "Obama won", is it me or is that not needed?

It's been a rough 2 years. -___-' Most haven't been able to hold on to the last of their insanity by now....

Lol, how does a congress with single-digit approval ratings INCREASE their majorities? That seems rather counterintuitive. (Although, I suppose the democrats probably thought the problems were Bush/slim majorities, while the Republicans thought the problem was Democratic majorites, and everyone else just wanted SOMETHING to actually get done, which hardly anything did.)

In any case, Obama's bipartisan agenda/cabinet is really shaping up now, eh? (Also :P, though I guess it's a bit too soon to make fun.)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 03:53:26 PM »
Lol, it's just tough being the only remotely sane outspoken McCain supporter here. :P
What about Sizzle? ;)

In any case, Obama's bipartisan agenda/cabinet is really shaping up now, eh? (Also :P, though I guess it's a bit too soon to make fun.)
Lol, listening to conservative radios shows etc. on the selection much? :P
I think it is a necessary objective to get someone who is (insanely) firm and can be a "pain in the neck" to get people in line, as Obama himself isn't. In that aspect, I find Emanuel quite suiting as it fills in the weaknesses of himself which he seems to understand well - this applies to the Biden selection as well. The Biden selection filled in some foreign affairs credentials which he lacked, which is actually an important contribution for a presidency - and he took the risk of Biden spewing out all kinds of flaring words through its course of the campaign for it. But McCain's choice of Palin had a clear intention of giving a boost to the base, evangelicals and potentially Clinton's female voters (first two worked out well, third not so well); a choice that was aimed at winning the election rather than for the good of the country if he&she were actually elected. The analysis lies not within the sole qualifications of Palin, but the comparative qualification of Palin vs. the other candidates who McCain could have chose. And given his own emphasis on the importance of experiences and readiness prior to that, I don't think there is any doubt that some of the other choices would be more competent if they actually were elected.

Ahhhh I'm talking about McCain again. D:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 04:15:10 PM by Reives »

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 12:33:17 AM »
I think Emanuel, politically a good choice, simply does not bode well for keeping Obama center left and/or bipartisan. If I wanted to be fair minded about something, I'd keep people around me with differing viewpoints. Obviously, we need to see who else joins his staff, and I wouldn't necessarily mind if he took the most liberal half of Chicago with him to the White House (he won and that's his prerogative, and besides, it'd be nice to have them out of the area :P), but then don't go on about being bipartisan.

I don't think this will happen, but let's say he ends up with every radical liberal he can find on his cabinet. Does this necessarily mean he can't still govern from the center left? Of course not. But with a heavily democratic congress, Obama being pretty darn liberal when left to his own devices, and having set the tone for his future cabinet appointments with Rahm Emanuel, I don't think that many similar minded people will likely be able to see the other side of things. This is essentially like trying to have an even handed discussion on gun control, and only talking to people from the NRA. While they may be able to see the other side's points, they won't be thinking about them, because they're surrounded by people with the same ideas. And even if they did consider the other side, they already have a mindset, and that's not something you just snap out of when you feel like it; the biases are still there.