Author Topic: Trying to convince my friend to play To the Moon  (Read 7054 times)

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
Trying to convince my friend to play To the Moon
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
I played To the Moon last October,and I've been obsessing over it ever since. It's my favorite game. I've been trying to get my best friend to play it. He has always said that he doesn't want to play it. He says that he's not interested in playing any RPG maker games that aren't horror, which is a very narrow-minded view on games. However, I feel like he would really enjoy the game. How can I convince him to play it without spoiling it?

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
Re: Trying to convince my friend to play To the Moon
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:52:03 PM »
He says that he's not interested in playing any RPG maker games that aren't horror, which is a very narrow-minded view on games
That is narrow-minded ::) I know how you feel. When I saw TtM for the first time, I wanted my family to watch it as well. If he won't play it, maybe you can get him to atleast watch it.

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
If he won't play it, maybe you can get him to atleast watch it.

I get what you mean there, but I would rather have him play the game than watch it, since when you watch someone play a game, it's not as immersive as playing the actual game. If he watches it instead of playing it, he will never be able to experience that amazing feeling of playing the game for the first time.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:24:27 PM by The Flying Marlin »

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:28:12 AM »
If he won't play it, maybe you can get him to atleast watch it.
when you watch someone play a game, it's not as immersive as playing the actual game.
Yeah, I know what you mean but I still cried the first two times I watched it so you may still get hit in the feels. Sorry I wish I had some better options for you, I mean I'm still trying to get my sister to play/watch it as well :reivsweat:

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 01:51:50 AM »
I suggest that you should make a deal with him, so he feels like he is also getting something from playing it. Maybe you should agree to play one of his favourite games if he plays TtM?
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:22:19 AM »
If he really is your best friend, he will definitely play it one of these days if you force him enough :p
Gift him the game on steam or something.
If nothing works, offer 5 dollars, and sit next to him, and give him the controller/keyboard.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:23:51 AM by Erenussocrates »
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 05:09:02 PM »
If he's only into rpg horror games, then he has very bad taste in games. Do you think he's serious about that statement? If so, then leave him be. If not, pressure him until he defriends you or plays/watches the game. There's also silent playthroughs of the game that can be watched, and I think they do the game justice. Like I've said before, the gameplay in To The Moon isn't very good; you can get almost just as much out of watching a silent playthrough as you could playing it.
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
If he's only into rpg horror games, then he has very bad taste in games.

To be clear, he doesn't only like RPG horror games, but within the RPG maker genre, he doesn't like any games that aren't horror. Why this is the case is beyond my knowledge.

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 09:06:17 PM »
If he's only into rpg horror games, then he has very bad taste in games.

To be clear, he doesn't only like RPG horror games, but within the RPG maker genre, he doesn't like any games that aren't horror. Why this is the case is beyond my knowledge.
Well, if he's just like that because he doesn't like the turn based combat (which isn't in a lot of horror rpgmaker games), maybe that would be a selling point. Thing is, the beginning of To The Moon is fairly boring. It's only when they start delving into John's memories that it really caught my interest. So, if you ever do manage to get him to play/watch, might be worth telling him to keep in mind that there's pretty much no action and it has a slow start. I know the feeling of having someone else continually hype a game up to be the best thing ever, only to play it for myself and find nothing but flaws in it. Be straight about the downsides of it - it'll make them less disappointing if/when he runs into them.

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 10:16:04 PM »
Just texted him asking why he doesn't like RPG games that aren't horror. He says that it's because they're inherently boring and only exciting when there's something to be afraid of. I still think that this is a huge generalization. If he played TTM, I'm 90% sure that he would eventually like it.

A Fat Kid

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 11:15:38 PM »
I'm 90% sure he won't like it, especially if you pay/pester him to play it. If you keep bugging him, he is going to play it for the sake of silencing you, not for enjoying the game.

TtM offers really polarised results. It either works for the player, and they break down, or it doesn't and they walk off as if it were some B movie. I've introduced 8 people to TtM at this point. Of the 8, 2 didn't bite, 2 liked it and cried, and 4 weren't affected (3 of which were my immediate family).

It is really a hit or miss thing. It depends on their personalities and experiences, their ability to analyse and make realisations and what is important to them in life. People have different degrees of how much they delve into philosophy and soul searching.

Your friend sounds like he isn't going to appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:17:43 PM by A Pessimistic Kid »

TheFlyingMarlin

• Tier 5
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 11:38:27 PM »
I told my friend that I'm giving up on trying to get him to play the game and that he doesn't have to play it if he really  doesn't want to, but if he changes his mind, I'd be more than happy to buy the game for him. I guess that the game's not for everyone.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 02:34:40 AM »
Probably for the best. :) It's one thing to poke someone about it if they're on the fence, but if they straight out retaliate, then making them play it only leads to bad framing.

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »
I told my friend that I'm giving up on trying to get him to play the game and that he doesn't have to play it if he really  doesn't want to, but if he changes his mind, I'd be more than happy to buy the game for him. I guess that the game's not for everyone.
I feel like we accomplished something here. I also like the 'I think your relationship is wrong, so if it doesn't work out, I'm here for you' message. That'll get him.

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 05:02:41 PM »
I really had faith in that since you were 90% sure that he would eventually like it though. Since it's your best friend for sakes. Everyone knows what their best friends would like afterall. But oh well.
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.