Author Topic: Vegetarianism/Veganism  (Read 3056 times)

Valtier

• Tier 5
  • Apathy taken to an artform
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
Vegetarianism/Veganism
« on: November 02, 2008, 03:49:52 AM »
Ethically (not nutritionally) speaking, is vegetarianism/veganism in the right?  To what extent?  Conversely, is it wrong to attempt to force this lifestyle on someone else?  I'll withhold my rather strong opinions on this for a few posts.

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Re: Vegetarianism/Veganism
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
I haven't exactly been pondering about this a lot, but.. This should be entirely up to the individual. I understand why vegetarianism is there, to the fullest, but I just can't imagine myself becoming one. There are even some forms of vegetarianism where they just don't eat meat from the mass-produced vendors, but shooting the animal yourself is just fine.

People should be able to pick what they want by themselves, but forcing it upon others is a no-no. That's domination.

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.

black_angelx

• Tier 3
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:05:22 AM »
I am a vegetarian myself, but sometimes, I do have doubts about this diet, just because I can eat eggs, but not any other meat and some "vegetables" like garlic, onion and leek.

I mean, egg...there is a life in it, isn't it? However, why can I eat it (under the non-strict vegetarian)?? I must admit that the only good thing about vegetarian diet is that we don't eat meat, so we don't sacrifice the lives of any animal for our own need, in that sense.

For me, I am told that as much as possible, avoid preparing meat stuff and never eat them. Of course, there is not much strict rules, so some of us may kill animals, under circumstances that need us to kill.

Yes, it will be wrong to force people to adhere to this diet. People have brains, and each one of us have different health conditions. I won't be able to guarantee that eating vegetables all your life will allow you to live long and without illnesses. So, if people want to eat meat, then eat meat! All person has the freedom to choose their own diets. Plus, it is only those people who have promised to be vegetarians who will need to adhere to that diet. Others who have not promised can choose to alternate and change to other diets.

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 08:19:23 AM »
^ what the 3 above said.
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:23:49 AM »
Hmmm? Being a vegetarian, do you have all basic food elements such as protein and the like? Well actually, eggs are rich in protein, especially in albumine, except of course, if you eat soya.

Actually, you can eat eggs, of course. There is no scarcity of poultry products nowadays though. All I can actually say is that ditto eggs having or being rich in protein. Certainly there are some nutrients that are only found in meat products. Well, there are also some nutrients that are found only in veggies. Remember good cholesterol.

Ethically (not nutritionally) speaking, is vegetarianism/veganism in the right?  To what extent?  Conversely, is it wrong to attempt to force this lifestyle on someone else?  I'll withhold my rather strong opinions on this for a few posts.

Ethically, it is just alright. There seems to be no dilemma about it. Simply the reason is that you are free to eat anything, especially if it is healthy. What I usually do is that cook or eat something as long as it is healthy, nutritious and of course, delicious.

Normally, following the balanced diet is much proper than just veggies or just meat.

Valtier

• Tier 5
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 05:35:13 PM »
Well, the question was moreso whether there was anything ethically wrong about eating meat products, I'm not really feeling sympathetic to the plants.  =P

I don't feel that there is anything wrong with eating meat products, and I'll keep quiet about my opinions on this to hardcore vegetarians and vegans, but I find people and organizations who force this line of thinking on others to be disgusting and hypocritical.

On another note, most vegetarians will not touch eggs either.  Where it gets to be a gray area is milk, food with eggs in it, et cetera.  Suppose you have to draw the line somewhere, which is where I find the hypocrisy.

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 09:49:29 PM »
I will not claim it's incorrect to be vegetarian, as it is your right and you will not be harming anyone by being so. But I think that the "poor animals" line of though is just nonsense. Eating meat is part of the natural cycle. It has been like that for millions of years : prey and predator. No, your not doing anything wrong in eating meat and certainly not breaking the natural cycle. Things grow at a fast rate, and don't think about the fact that your are one human that eats 5000 chickens in your lifetime. Everything that goes into your body eventually goes out. Microscopic being eat your feces, who are eaten by insects, who are eaten by birds, who are eaten by other stuff and those other stuff eventually you eat again.

But the above stands for old ways of acquiring meat (hunting). What is plain crazy is modern meat consummation. We literally clear out entire species sometimes, slowing the regeneration process (actually, it's just other species that take the place of those you have destroyed). I think we do eat a little more meat then necessary. It takes ten times the cereals to feed one time the meat. Those cereals are produced en masse by draining all the nutriments from the ground. Now that is exagerration. Vegetarianism, to me, is not particularly biologically appropriate (but it is ethically appropriate) considering we are born as omnivores (meaning we eat plants and meat). Yes, we humans are nothing more then more meat. What I do think we should do, is reduce the daily amount of meat we eat. That would also fix the obesity problem.

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 10:15:39 PM »
if you're gonna jump into the obesity problem, it lies not with the meat consumption, but with the oil & fats consumption. which can come from both veggies and meat.

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 10:38:15 PM »
Well, of course, but eating less meat would still help a little. A steak will always contain by nature more fat then an apple. But I heard that vegetable oils are much better for the health, and some things such as nuts are a good source of healthy fat?

soranokira

• Tier 7
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 10:53:22 PM »
damn not the saturated unsaturated thing again. yea veggie oils are 'healthier' because they're unsaturated, in other words there are carbon-carbon double bonds in the molecule that allows other molecules to combine with it(yes this is chemistry). but seriously, either way, the main cause of obesity is overconsumption of fats, and it's possible to reduce fat consumption, but some people don't, and also many of the food consumed today are fried, soaked in oil, and come out full of oil, and we just eat them all down together. too much fats led to the breakdown and formation of fats in the body and stored in the body, overtime causing obesity.

enough of obesity, but I understand why going vegetarian or consuming more vegetables is good, but the point is, all unto his own, whether we want to turn vegan or not is our choice, forcing a change in lifestyle is too much.
and fk, if you don't wanna kill poultry because they got 'life', what makes you think veggies don't have one. they're living things too damit.
The only reason I see why consuming veggies is better is because they tend to contain more vitamins & they give more energy(learn your food chain/energy chain thing) so you need to consume less 'life'.
but pretty much zeka,valtier & the posters above pretty much have their points there which is similar to mine so I'll reduce time writing all the crap.

Valtier

• Tier 5
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 01:32:47 AM »
I'm quite frankly surrounded by "moral" vegans, so I'm sure that my hostility towards that line of thinking is greater than it really should be.  Either way, human beings aren't meant to consume nothing but one type of food.  One isn't healthier than the other, I don't know a whole lot that's worse to eat in large quantities than peanuts.  Obesity is really a problem with modern living itself if you ask me.  As sora pointed out, we consume a lot of greasy(disgusting) food and get near to no exercise.

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 08:58:24 AM »
All I can actually say for now is "Have a balanced diet". This way, you become healthy and you have all (okay not all but some of the nutrients) that you will certainly need in your body. Still, there is no problem with them being 'vegetable-dependent like' people.

Dovydas

• Tier 3
  • The dragon lives on...
    • Toa's Union Gaming
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »
Both of them are equal, as both vegetables and animals are alive.
No difference which one are we eating as we inflict sadism indirectly to each one.
Although, I am more of a vegan than vegetarian.