Author Topic: Purpose of Life  (Read 3154 times)

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Purpose of Life
« on: November 01, 2008, 05:59:56 PM »
The purpose, meaning of life. Have you ever thought about this? Is there such a thing is a specific prupose of life that everyone wants to achieve? Does it vary a lot from individual to individual? Which factors can you affect to your favor?

I imagine that this topic may go in different directions, but I'm curious to see what people think about this matter.

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Purpose of Life
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:02:14 PM »
I believe the purpose of life varies from individuals and depends on what they actually want out of life.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 06:25:21 PM »
Yeah, certainly does vary; not only just from individual to individual, but also from perspective to perspective. For example, from a "personal" perspective per se, it may be achieving happiness for someone. But from a biological aspect, it may simply be to reproduce new generations or whatnot.

Personally, I think it really is to simply "just be". No matter what position you are at in life, you'll always have cravings for things you do not have - and it's important to accept that. It's simply to create something to strive for, as when there is nothing to strive for everything becomes dull (e.g. cheating in a game is often the easiest way to quit the addiction).

So I suppose it's simply to create more struggle for ourselves simply to have goals, and insert something into an otherwise blank canvas. But that, of course, is speaking from a personal perspective.

zekallinos

• Tier 5
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:01:17 PM »
The term goal itself varies, and it can be anything, even things that some would consider as "not being a goal". Some just want a little life, a little job, and go to the bar with some friends. Sure it's not like going to space, or create artificial intelligence, but that's something you want in life. You can't "want" nothing, really. But in the end, yes, life is about continuity, by the means of reproduction. The cycle is eternal, in the same way evaporating water rains down only to evaporate again. If it wasn't, we wouldn't really be here to discuss this now would we?

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:51:51 PM »
As a Christian, one of the most imprtant things Jesus ever said was "He who loves his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." Ironically, the more you're worried about finding the purpose of life for your own sake, the less likely you are to find it. The purpose of life is to focus more on others than yourself, and that's the only way you will ever be truly content. That's the way I was raised.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:11:09 AM »
I'm no Christian but I agree with those values for the most part, and they're also values that can be universalized. In the end it's pretty much something arbitrary that's whatever one makes of it - keeping on searching for a definitive answer is more or less searching just for the sake of searching.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 01:12:09 AM »
I'm no Christian but I agree with those values for the most part, and they're also values that can be universalized. In the end it's pretty much something arbitrary that's whatever one makes of it - keeping on searching for a definitive answer is more or less searching just for the sake of searching.

Depending on worldview. If life is arbitrary, as opposed to created for a purpose, than obviously its meaning is arbitrary as well, and will be whatever someone makes of it. Searching for a definitive answer is then futile, and the best one can hope for is a purpose that makes one content.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 02:33:09 PM »
Well I have personal experience with this. True, my religion says the purpose of life is to be tested, and go to heaven, which I believe. But this wouldn't be any fun if I just stated my religious views. So I'll relate what I've gathered from experience. Life sucks like heck if you live for yourself. If you're just out for your own interests, then you're going to be miserable. You need to be willing to sacrifice your own happiness for others. For awhile, the most service I really gave people (aside from taylor, who I've always been willing to give up anything for) was spriting, and occasionally doing the dishes. But recently I've been trying to serve people more, and life seems to have more meaning.

Another purpose in my life is to love, and be truly loved in return. Alas, this one is FAR more difficult than the above one. I can't wait until I'm married, and there is at least SOME sort of commitment in this area, XD To me, one of the greatest source of happiness and meaning is to know that the one you truely love has the same sort of love for you, just because of who you are. In my case, I at least have the advantage of knowing a girl isn't going to "love" me for my looks, because, to be blunt, I don't have any, XD (well according to me, at least. Taylor and Christina seem to think quite differently).

The last thing (aside from religious stuff) I use to find meaning in my life is the acquisition of knowledge. Not just basic facts, but how to apply them. Not just cold science, but philosophy, art, and the ability to think. Life is more meaningful when a great deal is spent increasing your knowledge.

Anyways, I decided to leave religion out of the debate to give it a feeling of a neutral-ground discussion.This is just non-religious things in my life that give me purpose.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 05:55:59 PM »
My point was only that if life was created, it's useless to talk about it in any other circumstance. I suppose we could make a 'what makes you content with your life topic.' ;) You can't talk about the purpose of life, unless you also consider who/what/if anything determined that purpose.

Edit: Hmmm... I wonder why Vikon hasn't chimed in. I thought this was his area of expertise.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:34:19 AM by abigailian »