Author Topic: Feedback for this Last Word song  (Read 4119 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Feedback for this Last Word song
« on: February 18, 2015, 07:38:09 PM »
I'm digging for feedback on this song! It plays during the final chapter of Last Word. I need to know what people's impressions are of the feeling, the melody, the harmony, etc. Just any opinions will help. :)

Chapter 05

EDIT: I guess I need to make clear that I'm looking for Freebirdian feedback. That's why it's posted on Freebird.  If you're currently banned from this site, don't bother messaging me some other way with your input.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:44:36 PM by Merlandese »

Double A

• Tier 6
  • Double double
  • Current Mood: tired tired
Re: Feedback for this Last Word song
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
I like it! :) It's very cheerful in most parts. It's as if something grand has been accomplished.

Haven't actually tried the game, but I have a strong feeling it suits perfectly with it
I'm still alive. Object Oriented Programming subject has yet to kill me. Same cannot be said for Data and Discrete Structures....

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »
It's sounds really nice :) I too have never played the game but I think it'll work just fine.

GingerCorslette

• Tier 5
  • No comment.
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 09:22:18 PM »
That piano part ~35 seconds in kinda diverges from the general feel of the song... but maybe that's just me.  :)

Spoiler: show
Wait, I thought there were only 4 chapters?

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 10:28:35 PM »
I think the song is a little bit lighter than the previous one.
It's more cheerful and nice, :)
By hearing of this song,
I really think that you change a lot of things (Or maybe just some) from the game.

But It's still nice :)

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 12:03:48 AM »
Not a fan of the synth strings, but I'm not really sure what soundfont I'd recommend in their place.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 03:54:14 PM »
Thanks, Double A and Dragon Mage! Glad it sounded good. If nothing bad sticks out, that's good news.

@Ginger: That's mainly the part that I'm having issues with, although not so much the fact that the feeling changes. The feeling of the song is supposed to change. But the harmony is in question there.

@Roxaszu: I did change a lot! For starters, every chapter has its own, new song. This is a little lighter and a little darker at the same time, I hope.

@QM: The strings themselves aren't a "synth strings," like the sound. They're supposed to be real strings from the EWQL strings pack. I'm not sure if you mean that they sound synthetic (which they shouldn't) or that the strings (which are technically synthetic since I don't have a live ensemble) don't sound good period. Either way I'll run through it a few more times to see if I can make it sound better.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! The one issue I was really looking for wasn't addressed, which means maybe it's only an issue to me. XD Essentially, the harmony section in the all-piano part is intentionally "fat-fingered," to give a sort of sloppy chaos feeling. My worry was that in doing so it made the section sound bad.

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 04:41:29 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys! The one issue I was really looking for wasn't addressed, which means maybe it's only an issue to me. XD Essentially, the harmony section in the all-piano part is intentionally "fat-fingered," to give a sort of sloppy chaos feeling. My worry was that in doing so it made the section sound bad.
That's actually the part I liked the most. It sounds lightheartedly, as if someone wanted to convey their feelings more than to play a song to others' liking.

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »
@QM: The strings themselves aren't a "synth strings," like the sound. They're supposed to be real strings from the EWQL strings pack. I'm not sure if you mean that they sound synthetic (which they shouldn't) or that the strings (which are technically synthetic since I don't have a live ensemble) don't sound good period. Either way I'll run through it a few more times to see if I can make it sound better.
Yes, I'm aware they weren't actual strings. What I meant was they sounded like synths used in electronic music, as in they didn't sound stringlike to me. They sounded like an electronic piano with the sound set to synth (or strings if I listen hard enough). I dunno, maybe they sound as if they were being played plainly? I really can't quite put my finger on it.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 11:48:05 PM »
Oh, then that's fine! A synth keyboard is as much an instrument as a violin. I try not to get caught up too much in whether the song sounds "real" (or possible) so much as good, or else I'll never get anywhere. It's a slippery slope when in reality even a "fake" sound is a real sound. If I tried to make it seem like they were watching the instruments play live then I'd probably worry about it more. But I'll spend some time making adjustments if I can with the producer (it's Ferd).

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 02:12:50 AM »
It's not so much that it's not realistic that I have a problem with it. Maybe I'm just not a fan of that sound in the first place.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 03:21:20 AM »
Well, damn! Then that's no good! XD

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »
I get the feeling that it could be used in a neutral or slightly happy setting. I don't think it sounds like the kind of music that would grab people's attention, not really catchy. I wouldn't expect to hear this during a climatic moment, happy or otherwise. To me, it's more of just background music.
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 06:38:36 PM »
It's background music. It loops. It's not a cinematic moment. It just plays during the last chapter.

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 09:59:51 AM »
It's background music. It loops. It's not a cinematic moment. It just plays during the last chapter.
Then, you sir, have nailed it. :)
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"