Author Topic: Thoughts on Minisode 2  (Read 34042 times)

chrono721

• Tier 1
Re: Thoughts on Minisode 2
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 04:57:28 AM »
Just finished playing! So 2 things, 2 little hidden things...

Spoiler: show

1. If you leave Eva's diary out, you can read it as Niel. She states that she feels like she's being watched.
2. When you're Eva, and you're trying to locate Niel, you can take a detour to the power room and check the access records. You find out that Niel himself shut off the power. Maybe some part of Niel doesn't want to leave her mind?

My theory here is that Niel is somehow stuck inside Eva's mind and is unable to come out. The glitch that Eva experienced may be the reason why. Perhaps Niel figures that the only possible way to leave is to use the same technology that brought him there. Real or not, it may change something if the real machine interprets it the way Niel wants.

As for being in Eva's mind... maybe he was trying to help her out with something? Maybe Eva was a past employee and called up a favor from Niel? This could be about anything really. His prolonged stay inside her mind may be tough on him, which is the big reason for the pain killers.

This has me excited for episode 2! It has me wondering how many episodes total this story will be.

A Fat Kid

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 09:24:13 AM »
Oh my goodness, this is messed up. I need a couple more weeks to think it through.

But why would either of them change their memories? It's a lethal process!

Oh man, so much to think about.

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 09:37:58 AM »
Just finished playing! So 2 things, 2 little hidden things...

1. If you leave Eva's diary out, you can read it as Niel. She states that she feels like she's being watched.
2. When you're Eva, and you're trying to locate Niel, you can take a detour to the power room and check the access records. You find out that Niel himself shut off the power. Maybe some part of Niel doesn't want to leave her mind?

My theory here is that Niel is somehow stuck inside Eva's mind and is unable to come out. The glitch that Eva experienced may be the reason why. Perhaps Niel figures that the only possible way to leave is to use the same technology that brought him there. Real or not, it may change something if the real machine interprets it the way Niel wants.

As for being in Eva's mind... maybe he was trying to help her out with something? Maybe Eva was a past employee and called up a favor from Niel? This could be about anything really. His prolonged stay inside her mind may be tough on him, which is the big reason for the pain killers.

This has me excited for episode 2! It has me wondering how many episodes total this story will be.
That's a pretty good theory :)
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 12:22:23 PM »
Ahh,
I don't usually make theory.
I usually just enjoy the story :)

But as for me,

What I think is just simply that they are in the real world,

Neil kinda forget something really important from the past on why "Something" happened in his family that he forgot and wanna to find out by the machine.

Eva using the machine too much,
Therefore she got something like side effects in her brain or something that made her forgetful and hallucinating.

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 01:33:34 PM »
Ahh,

But as for me,

Neil kinda forget something really important from the past on why "Something" happened in his family that he forgot and wanna to find out by the machine.

Therefore she got something like side effects in her brain or something that made her forgetful and hallucinating.
Thay's a pretty good theory :) I don't want to think that everything that's happening is in a memory, it just doesn't seen right to me :(
PLS FIX OUR FORUM PROFILES!! :'(

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 03:32:36 PM »
Ahh,

But as for me,

Thay's a pretty good theory :) I don't want to think that everything that's happening is in a memory, it just doesn't seen right to me :(

Yup,

I think it's not a memory at all.
Since the story is separated,
So even if that is a memory, it should be memory from both sides in one machine.
otherwise, the story will not be possible.

(Like TTM, It's Johnny's memory, there's no memory from River itself, therefore there's no way it's a memory, since it's the story of Neil and Eva Separately, therefore I think It's the real world)

Not to mention that Neil didn't know who turn off the big thing under the lobby, and Eva was surprises and asking herself why Neil turn on and turn off that thing (I forgot what is it)

If It's one of their memory, that should be at least know something instead of asking themselves.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:58:09 PM by Roxaszu »

Frostyflytrap

• Tier 2
  • What should I write here? I'm really confused now.
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 10:11:17 PM »
Some of my own theories are pretty similar to most of the one the others have already put down here. But I've also been thinking if what if they're in one of those scrapped memories that end up getting reset? It's like in that movie Source Code if anyone else knows the ending to that.
In the ending the main character saves the people on the train in an alternate simulation world and on his last minute his life support was shut off just as he reached the last of his time limit of being in the simulation. As that happened hi lived on in an alternate world, in the simulation.

However I don't think that's likely. What I do think is someone is manually altering the world they're in (if their world takes place in a memory canvas) so that a specific thing would happen in the future. Eva's diary does say she feels like she's being followed, meaning this has been going on for quite a while now. (Note that Neil at the end of TtM taking his painkillers where the screen flashes red could represent being in a memory or just a metaphor for pain.)

If what's really happening is that Eva and Neil are both using the memory machine on themselves, (Seeing how there's only one person with a helmet in both cases.) Then the fact that there are people opposing the Sigmund Agency, perhaps Eva in the future with the helmet on might have been regretful for ever working there. Or maybe in the future the agency was shut down and she kept one of the memory machines and used it just as Neil was trying to.

Neil seems to be persistent and protective over whatever he's planning to do as if he's doing something forbidden. When you go turn the power back on as Neil and to the meeting room and interact with the memory machine there he mentions it as "could've been a miracle" in an unsatisfied manner. (Is it just that he knows the capabilities of the machine yet they're forbidden to use it that way?)

And to whoever mentioned that butterfly effect thing, yes someone might be preventing Neil from ever succeeding at his experiment and it seems to be him 8 minutes ago. When he went on hitting Eva with a broom in the face, he said that the door was locked. Why would Eva lock the door behind her if she's expecting her family, Rox and Lilly's family to come inside?

I've just realized something. What if Eva already went home and it was the doppelganger seen in the street that materialized her family and Lily's to the agency? If the door was locked, which Neil noticed, and then the Eva who was hit with a broom was the Eva sitting on her chair in a room? Since she asked why Neil turned the power off and on, she might not even be the Chair Eva from the future. It's possible right?

Whatever reasons that someone is altering that memory, it must've done something drastic in the future. However it seems illogical to change a memory to prevent something from happening in the real life unless Neil discovered that the machine was reality-altering device all along.

Whatever this is, I think this Neil and Eva side-plot won't be resolved in Finding Paradise assuming the series will be a trilogy or longer. I have a feeling that Kan is carefully planning out these plot holes for the grand finale.

Other things I noticed:
-Why was the ambient sound player recording in the ending?
-What was Eva going to say to Neil that "If you want..."? (I actually think that she's considering inviting Neil to her place in this part.)
-Neil Being speechless about Eva's diary entry seems suspicious.
-Are someone's footsteps heard exiting the basement, or was someone entering the lobby?
-Does the exit door naturally make no sound while opening and closing, or did someone just phase though the door but was still able to leave snowy footprints and loud footsteps?

-And also, cool window wiper at the beginning. So all the windows in the building have that installed? :P
-That sound file from Quintessence was hilarious.

Well this was a long post.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:26:00 PM by Frostyflytrap »

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »

Assumption: It's Neil's device, so he has turned it on. He did so because while he first said he didn't want to come and participate, he actually likes being invited to a private Christmas party by Eva (and he's clearly enjoying himself once there, too) and he wants to keep a memory of the evening. After all, we've seen it before that Neil will put on a show about not being sentimental when in reality, he totally is.

Edited to add: Although I think when he first told Eva to never do something like that again, he was serious. There is something troubling hidden behind the clown mask Neil's wearing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:48:03 PM by Sun »

Amandaaa

• Tier 2
    • My blog :D
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 02:27:23 PM »
Found this opinion on Cry's walkthrough:
"Okay, so first off, freeze frame that last bit. If you see everything, and watched or played the first game, you know what the machines are used for. If you know of their purpose, you must know she could be in there on purpose. And Isn it funny, how small her room is? How empty and cluttered it is? This Christmas isn't real. It's an altered memory, or even a fabricated one. I don't think her real Christmas is a happy one. We all saw the Eva in the street. We know that usually, Drs are invisible in the memories, unless they choose to be otherwise. Eva shouldn't have been visible. Which means something is up. I also think that Neil was trying to stop her from something, hence the generator shutoff. Puzzle pieces. Lots of tiny puzzle pieces. " (creds to TheAetherpunk)

but yea i think its tru :O
Amanda <3

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »

Assumption: It's Neil's device, so he has turned it on. He did so because while he first said he didn't want to come and participate, he actually likes being invited to a private Christmas party by Eva (and he's clearly enjoying himself once there, too) and he wants to keep a memory of the evening. After all, we've seen it before that Neil will put on a show about not being sentimental when in reality, he totally is.

Edited to add: Although I think when he first told Eva to never do something like that again, he was serious. There is something troubling hidden behind the clown mask Neil's wearing.
I'm also now thinking that, much like the music boxes, Kan is going to be selling some ambient sound machines, with some of the soothing sounds we've heard, along with music. Seriously. It just seems like there was a lot of focus on such a small thing, with a similar purpose to the music boxes.

Eastwardly

• Tier 1
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 07:47:07 PM »
I just thought:
* Eva is obviously using the Machine, as we can see in the last clip. We can see Neil planning to use it, but he doesn't.
* Eva feels as if someone is watching her, witch leads on to the probability that someone is going through her memories (even altering, since she can feel someone in witch she shouldn't have?)
* Eva sees herself and even wakes up in the Machine, but quickly calms down as if she knows what's going on.

Its obviously a lot of possible outcomes here. My personal theory is that maybe Neil went to go through his memories that evening, thus possibly killing himself (or becoming a vegetable)? due to the family problems, painkiller addiction and possible other things creating depression. Christmas evening suicides is a kind of cliche (even as horrible as that sounds).
Then Eva felt extreme guilt of not inviting him to the party (as she almost did) and thus eventually went back through her memories to, at least in her head, unplug the power and save Neil.

The thing is; why logging into the generator-thingy as Neil? And why would Neil act the way he did if it was all in Evas head? And why the melancholic use of the recorder on Neils side if its Evas memories we are going through?

I really liked this minisode.

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 02:02:29 AM »
I just thought:
* Eva is obviously using the Machine, as we can see in the last clip. We can see Neil planning to use it, but he doesn't.
* Eva feels as if someone is watching her, witch leads on to the probability that someone is going through her memories (even altering, since she can feel someone in witch she shouldn't have?)
* Eva sees herself and even wakes up in the Machine, but quickly calms down as if she knows what's going on.

Its obviously a lot of possible outcomes here. My personal theory is that maybe Neil went to go through his memories that evening, thus possibly killing himself (or becoming a vegetable)? due to the family problems, painkiller addiction and possible other things creating depression. Christmas evening suicides is a kind of cliche (even as horrible as that sounds).
Then Eva felt extreme guilt of not inviting him to the party (as she almost did) and thus eventually went back through her memories to, at least in her head, unplug the power and save Neil.

The thing is; why logging into the generator-thingy as Neil? And why would Neil act the way he did if it was all in Evas head? And why the melancholic use of the recorder on Neils side if its Evas memories we are going through?

I really liked this minisode.

^ Most solid theories I've read here as of yet, imo. It's definitely plausible. Even though eva trying to change her own memories doesn't make much sense to me, but that's just one point.

-----------------

Meanwhile, talking about ambient sounds recorder, I am more curious about something else right now...
You know that Dr. Willis and Taima and beach sounds scene in the minisode... x'D There had been a joke/smalltalk in a topic called "Why do you think they never had kids?" that went like:

I'm actually more curious about their sex life (don't look at me)
If river was acting like not approachable for their whole lives, maybe that was the reason. Though I cannot imagine the pain and suffering john would have to go through, lol. Maybe because of her condition, she was just afraid and insecure to do such a physically intimate thing, or maybe she was really conscious and just didn't want any of their kids to inherit her condition maybe.

Or who knows, maybe she actually had natural urges as well, and they were doing that, but simply did not want to have any kids. (I don't know if condom was invented in their time, in that universe)
So I'm more curious about if they were having sex or not, more than the reason why they didn't have kids. That would clarify a lot of things :P

Lol, you hear that, Kan? Gotta add some sex scenes in To The Moon now. Don't leave us hanging

here's the link http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=4675.30 it's the third page.

What I am wondering is, if truly Kan had seen that conversation, and if that Willis and Taima scene was a small reference to us there? X'DD
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:05:46 AM by Erenussocrates »
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

The Receiver

• Tier 2
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 04:20:29 AM »
Just finished watching Cry's playthrough on this Minisode :)

I've been reading the other theories here, so I'll try to piece together what's happening.
TL:DR POST POSSIBLY INCOMING (PLUS RAMBLINGS!)

Let's start with what I feel is the only fact in the minisode:
The last scene with Eva and the machine lets us know that she's the one using the machine for the whole minisode.

That for me is the only solid fact I believe in.

Now as for the whole Christmas party dealio, I assume it's only a memory considering said fact and Eva is trying to achieve something in that memory in relation to Neil in the real world.

Some questions bother me though. For example, as we do not fully understand how the device works, are there any more purposes for the device? Or are there any more usages? Like can two people access a memory at the same time but from separate places? Is the Sigmund Company keeping memories of their patients meaning the workers can access them any time? But if that's the case is Neil a patient? Or is Neil already a dead patient? Cause the comment Eva said on how "We don't keep memories on disks" gives that kinda feeling. Does that mean workers keep their patients' memories but on somewhere else?

So on and so forth.

As for the gift Eva gave to Neil, do you guys think that the reason it showed that it was recording in the credits would be so that in a later minisode/To The Moon Episode 2, the device will be used one day to be listened to, find out what's going on during that time, and might even hear some unheard stuff that only devices can capture? Much like how some supernatural stuff happens.

As for the double Eva's, I feel like in the first half of the minisode, the player plays as the Eva who goes into the car. But in the latter half, the player plays as the OtherEva that CarEva saw, meaning OtherEva materialized those guests that came and so the Christmas party wasn't really a real one. OtherEva might have made the memory repeat during the car part, cause Traci said the same comment twice in a row (Okaaayyyyyy, I'll see ya later hun!) Something like that. OtherEva might have also been the one that walked in which Neil smacked into, and the door was locked meaning since she isn't really part of the memory, she could just walk through it.  Finally, relate back to said fact that Eva was using the machine as OtherEva trying to achieve something. She could've gotten Neil's Identification Card in the real world (Or find out what the info needed to log in as Neil Watts) and used that to shut down the power system in order to stop Neil from whatever it is he was trying to do for the 30th time. This is why Neil got confused and thought it was a glitch. OtherEva was also asking lotsa questions to Neil, especially the part about his family. She could've been trying to make Neil happier at the same time even if it was just a memory (Hence the Xmas party).

About the weird Diary entry that CarEva made about a nagging feeling that someone's following her, this could be OtherEva and that she's been in the memory for a while now, observing what's up. Or relate back to one of my questions about not fully understanding and knowing the full usage of the device. What if Neil's also accessing the memory at the same time and observing CarEva and the memory in itself?

P.S. It could also be that Neil's already dead in the real world and Eva's trying to find out why and understand through Neil's memories. Or Neil's in the hospital or coma or something. Or Neil's been doing suspicious activities in the real world like the painkillers so Eva's trying to find out what's up.

It could also be that the Sigmund Company records all their worker's memories before they are allowed to work, hence why the memory was clear without any black and white or torn parts.

Again we still do not know the full usage of the machine.

That's basically my observation and theory :)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:33:16 AM by The Receiver »

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »
What I am wondering is, if truly Kan had seen that conversation, and if that Willis and Taima scene was a small reference to us there? X'DD
Oh god, I sure hope not.

As for the gift Eva gave to Neil, do you guys think that the reason it showed that it was recording in the credits would be so that in a later minisode/To The Moon Episode 2, the device will be used one day to be listened to, find out what's going on during that time, and might even hear some unheard stuff that only devices can capture? Much like how some supernatural stuff happens.
Ohhh, I like that idea! :)

OtherEva might have made the memory repeat during the car part, cause Traci said the same comment twice in a row (Okaaayyyyyy, I'll see ya later hun!
I don't think I would read into that too much. A lot of people say goodbye the same way everytime, out of habit. As for it being EXACTLY the same, well, maybe Kan and the playtesters didn't really make the connection and see it as strange. But, maybe I'm wrong, and you're actually onto something.

Peedator

• Tier 1
  • Actually im not that cool as i seemed to be
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 08:33:32 PM »
I just wanted to ask if there will be a german translation of this minosode. I really would like to play this in german. :vikonsmile:
(Enter signature here)