Author Topic: I've got some troubles with drawing  (Read 3407 times)

KeterLordFR

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: tired tired
I've got some troubles with drawing
« on: October 21, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »
Hi there,

So, I've recently decided to try drawing, with one clear objective : create my own character. I've already got her name, backstory and I have her appearence in my head, but when I get to drawing I literally s*ck. Main thing is, I have to draw on PC because my hand shakes whenever I'm holding a pen (Don't know why). I've used a tutorial on WikiHow to get the general body form, but when I get to the hands I can't manage to draw them, it always looks awful. It's been bugging me for a few days now, and since then my project is stopped. Got any tips?

PS : I know that I may not be fit for drawing, but I've had an urge to create something for years, and all else have failed (Writing, composing, etc...)

Also, :plat:
Also, :plat:

EatingToastYay

• Tier 6
  • You are what you eat.
    • My DeviantArt
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
Re: I've got some troubles with drawing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:24:07 PM »
Aw, well that's simple!
Practice
practice
prrraaaacttticcceeeeeeeeeee.  :seraismile:
No one can draw well on their first tries. Unless they're like, a genius or something  :D
Keep at it and don't give up!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:33:12 PM by EatingToastYay »

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 04:30:23 AM »
I would show you my drawing tutorials but I think they're more suited for traditional methods.

I agree with Toast on this one. Practice has helped us come quite far.

Here's an example of my improvements since childhood:

(More than 5 years of drawing, lol)

Mobbstar

• Tier 3
    • Klei Forums profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 11:16:38 AM »
You need to whack more joysticks around to get that smooth hand precision surgeons have. :)

If you ask me, learning to draw consists of two big challenges: Study and practise. Why "Study"? You gotta look at things and actively think of how you perceive them, how the lighting works, what makes the thing this specific thing. For instance, when looking at my avatar, you may think it's as easy as hat and monocle, but closer inspection reveals spiky sideburns of sorts and wavey hair, those being integral to the portrait. Only if you notice and analyse such properties, will you be able to replicate things the way you see them.

Also, if you think drawing with a mouse is too jaggy, try to use "correction", a lot of free drawing programmes have it.

Lastly, feel free to think outside of the box. There's a lot of ways to generate imagery using computer programmes, just like there's plenty of tools for drawing on paper/canvas and numerous techniques to use those.
(e.g. making mosaic tiles using polygon selection and fill bucket)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:18:57 AM by Mobbstar »
You can contact me faster via Discord or Steam. Ask for my account name if you care.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 12:32:11 PM »
I just started drawing this year, and I'm picking it up fairly well. I'd tried to "learn" to draw several times but never got it. I find it far easier to draw on PC than on a pencil and paper (though I'm getting better with paper now). Plenty of artists do, so don't beat yourself up if you always produce art digitally.

This year, I just started drawing. It sucked at first, but I did everything I could on each drawing to make it suck less. I'm not a great artist yet, but I can make decent looking stuff now.

Just remember, there's no secret to drawing. It's like any skill. You suck at first, and you're going to suck unless you keep practicing and actively trying to get better each time. (I find watching speed-paints helps me get a little better. But unless I draw at least once or twice a week, watching people draw doesn't help me)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 06:26:33 AM »
I said I wasn't gonna post my tutorials here but I think it can really help, digital or not.

Dragons

Anthro Animals

They're very simple and don't require much detail so you should be alright :)