Author Topic: Question about an important event!  (Read 5812 times)

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
Question about an important event!
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »
Okay, so, you know the scene where John confesses to River that their meeting was tainted? -
BUTTERFLIES IN MY SOUL | To The Moon - Part 3
(I don't know why the video won't start at 11:49, but that's what I'm referring to.)
I think this is the most significant scene in To The Moon, for multiple reasons. River tries to remind John of their first meeting by taking out the hacky sack that he had given to her in their actual first meeting. When John doesn't get it, this scene leads up to River devoting the rest of her life to reminding John of their real first encounter in the only way she can express it - through cutting her hair short, making origami rabbits that resembled what they had seen in the moon/stars during their first encounter (in which case, that last one she made was yellow and blue to imitate the moon against the starry sky), and asking him the same questions from back then. But anyway, there's a part of this that I don't completely understand - What exactly happens after River gives the hacky sack to John? I mean, she tells John to throw the hacky sack toward Ayla, he does, she nearly runs off the cliff to look at it, she backs into John, and then she sits. Did John throw it too far, which is why we never see it again? Did River almost throw herself off because the hacky sack was dear to her? But, then again, this is the first time the hacky sack is even presented since their beginning, even though she got it the same time as her platypus toy, yet she cherished that. She also backed into John and then sat down without saying a word. Was she upset with him or shocked about what happened? I'm just not sure what was being portrayed in that part of the scene.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 03:50:09 AM by Abrom »
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Jesicani

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: blank blank
Re: Question about an important event
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 10:17:25 PM »
Just replying so you know someone is looking at your post.

I haven't paid it much mind, but that's a really good question. What was the purpose of throwing the hacky sack at Ayla? I have no idea.
Relish Dyrone's hype!

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Question about an important event!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 04:31:17 PM »
The biggest issue that Johnny and River has is that they struggle to communicate with each other properly. Even the paper rabbits are a failed form of River's poor communication skills. The fact that Johnny and River didn't understand what the other wanted in this scene shouldn't come as any surprise. But yes, the loss of the sack cements in River's mind that Johnny doesn't remember--a question she never simply asks him because of how they communicate.

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 04:54:06 PM »
See, that's what I didn't quite get out of it - I didn't know if the hacky sack was really lost or not. But, are you saying that you think River did want John to actually throw it, but not lose it?

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »
I personally think she was using it as a way to test and see if he remembered. Maybe in her head she thought that Johnny wouldn't be able to throw it because he remembered how significant it was. But the reality is that it held almost no significance for him (consciously) and incredible significance for her. So he threw it.

I don't think the scene is that complicated to unravel, really. The only thing that makes sense is that she wants Johnny to remember, and that she wants to hold on to that memento, right? Other variations wouldn't be appealing to her. So the fact that he threw it and didn't remember is what shocked her. She realized then that he had no memory of the stargazing scene and tried to remind him in other vague ways all throughout her life.

I guess, to state is more simply: The hacky sack is now lost in the ocean, and it bums River out that Johnny wouldn't see that the hacky sack was important. Johnny, of course, has an inkling that he's done something wrong, but has no idea what it is.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:05:32 PM by Merlandese »

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 05:17:06 PM »
Gah.....I suppose. The 'communication barrier' thing is an easy excuse to go to, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I mean, asking him to throw something so important to her? Come ooonnnnnnn!

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 05:25:48 PM »
Gah.....I suppose. The 'communication barrier' thing is an easy excuse to go to, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I mean, asking him to throw something so important to her? Come ooonnnnnnn!

Haha! Well, I wouldn't call it an "excuse." Actually, I've argued many times that I believe communication is the theme of the game, and that every detail is a thread to that tapestry. So to me, the dysfunctional communication shown in that scene falls perfectly in line with every aspect of the relationship and the story, as well as the theme behind it all.

Now, if I said, "this could just be how Johnny remembers it due to the nature of memories," that'd be an actual excuse. Although I think it'd be valid in its own right! XD

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
If the game went according to a real man's memory, River would just be nagging the whole time while John watched TV.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 05:32:53 PM »
Wowzers.

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 05:47:08 PM »
Oh, yeah, that's right. I went there.

Also, I do think that scene as it is, is acceptable to me. It certainly is a puzzle piece that fits the board. It just looks a little bit off is all.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:49:43 PM by Abrom »

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 09:39:07 PM »
As for your video, you should put "#t=how many second" at the end of your url link
So, It'll be like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJJXxIqoeEE#t=709

you want start at 11.49 second, which mean
11 * 60 = 660

660 + 49 Sec = 709

t = 709

# Trust me, I'm an Asian.

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »
Oh yeah, I see what the problem is - Whenever I picked to share it, it would just add ?t=11m49s to the end of the url, and when you that's put into the web browser, it would automatically insert &feature=youtu.be in before it to make it work, but apparently it won't do that if it's accessed via a link. So yeah, guess I'll just have to remember to put #t=(how many seconds in) like you suggested. Thank you :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:11:19 AM by Abrom »

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
Re: Question about an important event
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 06:01:56 AM »
Just replying so you know someone is looking at your post.

I haven't paid it much mind, but that's a really good question. What was the purpose of throwing the hacky sack at Ayla? I have no idea.

Well, river didn't really expect john (or did not want him) to throw that hacky sack, and she tried to catch it as it goes. But ofcourse she is unsuccessful in that, and hacky sack is sent to as far as where anya is, probably lost.
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 10:13:50 AM »
Oh, so you think that she tried to catch it? Hmm...I don't know...seemed like she might have reacted a bit late if she was trying to catch it. I think that trying to get a view of it would be more probable. It still drives me nuts that this scene isn't more clear as to what exactly happens.

Erenussocrates

• Tier 5
  • Broke Reives' laptop :P
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 04:28:29 AM »
Well, she made a dangerous reflex towards the edge of cliff according to John's remark, though. So, she trying to catch it is the first thing that comes to my mind. Maybe she couldn't move at that exact time because of game engine limits. Or maybe because she is just clumsy.
Videogame developers are not gods that anyone should worship. I hereby decide that is my top existential reason to prove that horrible, horrible misconception, because that is becoming annoyingly rampant in every corner of the internet.  They can deserve critism, or thrashing even. It doesn't even need to be constructive critism. And even if you are a free game developer doesn't mean community is your personal ego farm.