Author Topic: A Bird Story review thread  (Read 8327 times)

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
  • Current Mood: happy happy
A Bird Story review thread
« on: November 08, 2014, 01:59:47 AM »
You know what the game is, and if you played it, you may have an opinion. Share it here!

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
Re: A Bird Story review thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 02:15:46 AM »
My review is in the other thread, we should of moved it here :deepstuff:

Edit: it was just moved here. Noticed after I posted :facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:17:51 AM by Dragon Mage »

s-hertogenbosch

• Tier 1
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »
Love it untill the end, great job!

DatCaterpillar

• Tier 1
  • I WANT FINDING PARADISE NOW!
  • Current Mood: amused amused
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 06:58:13 AM »
This is my honest review after playing through the game once. I may not have many hours on the game, but I want to review what I saw first time and give my honest opinion. (I will comment on the things that I found the best or most revealing, but that doesn't mean that other stuff wasn't good!)

So, first thing's first, the music. The music is fantastic and really gives a sense of atmosphere and mood whenever you hear it. I saw that one review on steam said "Sounds ripped off from To the Moon", which I thought was a total lie, I could hear the similarities in the music style as it was written by the same person, but in the end, it was totally different in atmosphere and mood creation. I felt though that it was hard to focus on the music (ironically enough) because I was so focused on thinking about the characters and what might happen to them, so when I calmed down a bit and listened properly, it was soul-rending! I absolutely loved the music and hope that it comes out like To the Moons did! :D

Next on the list, the gameplay. I wasn't sure how A Bird Story would  be played, so when I started controlling I was pretty surprised, it didn't feel like I was controlling him as I knew the options were limited, but this just made it better in my opinion. I loved the small things that were put in, like the jumping in the water or
Spoiler: show
 throwing the paper plane for the birdie to catch.
They both added a certain feeling to the game, and made me want to continue playing forever! Also, many of the small quirks that you had to carry out in the House or
in the Veterinarian
gave a feeling that it was really happening, and that it wasn't just a game, but something realistic. (Ironic, right?)

Third on the list is the story... Oh my god.... The story!
From the very first second I hit begin I was shaking in my chair to see what the story would be like, especially without any dialogue. I loved loads of the aspects that were put in to show off the boy's life, like the notes on the fridge to show that his parents are probably out working or something similar, or him sitting on the see-saw alone, to show that he doesn't have many friends. All of the things like these that show a little bit of the boy's life gave me such a good feeling, I loved the fact that these were put in, and gave a great sense of his character, even without any dialogue! Then comes the finding of the bird, this was done in a surprising way with the trees moving and creating a path towards the birdie. This gave me an idea that he was meant to find the bird and take it home with him, like it was "fate". As the story progressed further, I fell in love with both of the characters, I loved the small comedic sessions with both of them, they all made me laugh and fall deeper into the pit that was their fantastic relationship. There were three main points that stood out to me from A Bird Story, the earliest being when the large paper plane was made, I thought that by adding this, it showed that they looked for a place for the birdie to stay and that the boy really loved the bird. Second was when he faced the vet and his mother and had a sorta' personality swap. I could see that the normal version of the boy wanted only what was best for the bird, but I also saw that part of him that didn't want to give the bird away to them. ( :DOT: Side note: when the Benny Hill theme started, I fell off my chair laughing harder than I think I ever have before. xD ) When he ran away on the plane, I knew something was gonna go wrong, so I immediately started to feel very anxious and scared up until the boy finding the dead bird. When the bird was taken away, I started to cry my eyes out, and there was a very small part of my brain that said: "It's o.k, it was not his bird, it was a black silhouette, calm down!" My brain totally rejected this idea and I continued to cry my eyes out up until the final important point. During the down time between points however, the life that we saw the boy lead was regular, backing up my thought that birdie was dead and that the boy had just started to get over it, making the tears in my eyes fall endlessly downwards, like a waterfall of complete and utter despair. The final point however, changed that waterfall from sadness, to happiness, I should have seen it coming, I really should have, but my poor little brain couldn't comprehend that the bird could be alive, and so almost exploded when I saw the bird, chirping away on the balcony. After all of these things and the final credit, when we saw the timeline of him for the next game, made me cry so much that I actually started to sob and choke on my tears for around 5 minutes after I closed the game.
So, the story, in summary, gave a huge range of emotions and atmosphere that I wouldn't have replaced for the world.
All in all, the game was superb, having so many things to think about and understand, makes it one of the most re-playable games, and one of the best games in general.

If you have not played this game, I would highly! highly! highly! recommend it!
Story - 10/10
Gameplay - 10/10
Music - 10/10
Emotional Impact - 10/10
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 10:26:56 AM by DatCaterpillar »
I waited two years for A Bird Story and now I have to wait for Finding Paradise!  :(

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:59:29 PM »
I saw that one review on steam said "Sounds ripped off from To the Moon"
Don't you mean that little joke made by Kan? You know, his signature "developer's aunt joke"? Namely this one:

I guess the music's nice-ish, but it sounds kinda ripped off from To the Moon...
-Developer's Aunt

Other than that, nice review. I agree with pretty much every word.

ZAMtendo

• Tier 2
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 08:09:06 AM »
Gonna keep it short and sweet (like the game):

"Short, simple, touching. The music by Kan Gao was absolutely amazing and lived up to To The Moon. I just wish it was longer and had a deeper and more meaningful narrative."

7/10
Had a trip To The Moon. Never returned.

WaffelPig

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 11:28:20 AM »
Very simple and short game that has a wordless story. I think that Kan made a good decision making it wordless too. The music is amazing, it always fits the scene. There are a couple funny parts too. The gameplay wasn't much, but I already knew that when I got the game. I liked the parts where you could jump in water and throw airplanes though, just like what DatCaterpillar said earlier.

9/10 on everything, gameplay maybe 6/10. (but I didn't buy the game with the gameplay, I bought it for the story like everyone else anyway heheh)

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 01:59:09 AM »
"Short, simple, touching. The music by Kan Gao was absolutely amazing and lived up to To The Moon. I just wish it was longer and had a deeper and more meaningful narrative."

I think if it were longer, deeper and more meaningful it wouldn't have worked as well. I'd certainly want a full fledged story from Kan in this format, but this story was simple and short. It avoided over complicating itself with too many twists, explaining devices in the environment, exploring characters and the like. It was a simple story told in an interesting manner.

Bellomy

• Tier 2
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 10:32:12 PM »
What I thought:

The game was far too repetitive early on with too little going on - more bluntly, it was very boring. I almost fell asleep at one point when I walked through, with no gameplay, the same space AGAIN. Bleh.

BUT - the artwork in the paper plane scenes was amazing, and the music was, of course, gorgeous.

And the ending was absolutely beautiful. I might have maybe gotten a LITTLE teary-eyed DON'T JUDGE ME.

In summary - boring for the majority but carried through by the fantastic artwork and brilliant music, but with an absolutely perfect ending.

C+, worthy addition to the franchise.

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 11:07:52 PM »
What I thought:

The game was far too repetitive early on with too little going on - more bluntly, it was very boring. I almost fell asleep at one point when I walked through, with no gameplay, the same space AGAIN. Bleh.

I don't think Kan's games have good gameplay, or focus on it at all.

But I do agree that the early portions dragged on a bit, though I understand that was to establish the boy's normal routine. That being said, the story itself is pretty simple, so there weren't many events Kan could show.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 12:30:14 AM »
I don't think Kan's games have good gameplay, or focus on it at all.

What would you prefer?

~

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 12:51:58 AM »
What would you prefer?

I was just stating what I feel about the gameplay in Kan's games. I wouldn't want him to focus more on the gameplay, after all most of his games are story driven. But I'd like the movement to feel a bit more responsive. Of course, I'm not sure how he can do that in RPG Maker.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 01:26:58 AM »
But I'd like the movement to feel a bit more responsive.

You mean that you want the actual, mechanical movement to be more responsive? Or that they should have more movement capabilities?

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 02:01:36 AM »
You mean that you want the actual, mechanical movement to be more responsive?

Yes. Make it so the walking and running feels more natural. Stuff like not getting stuck on small stones, rock, etc. I'm not sure if it can be done in RPG Maker though.

Unimaginative Username

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 06:29:17 AM »
Press Space to vault objects. I want to see Neil doing some parkour in FP.