Author Topic: I'm a noob that needs help  (Read 1995 times)

xAvaRenx

• Tier 3
  • Siempre son
I'm a noob that needs help
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:31:31 PM »
Okay... so I joined this other forum and got into some trouble for necroposting or something. Can someone please tell me what that is?

Also, are there any other terms I need to know about if I choose to use a forum... I'm kinda sick of being scolded for not knowing what's going on.
I never knew
You stayed up late
Until you called me
At 4:38
am
and said
"I'm bored"
GRRRRR

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: I'm a noob that needs help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »
Necroposting is basically posting on topics that have been inactive for a long period of time - usually older than a month. This can be checked by looking at the date of the last post on the topic. Many forums have rules against it as it often brings topics where the topic starter is potentially no longer around alive, and it's a better practice to simply start a new thread on that matter.

There's no rules against necroposting on this particular forum though, as it's a small one! But on larger ones it tends to get annoy when it's happening all over the place.

Another conventional rules to watch for that I can remember right now is double-posting - but that only exists on some forums. Double posting is accepted on .org and on this forum, but only when the second post contains a separate argument/subject from the first.

But aye, don't mind the scolding about; people are harsh on forums just for the hell of it sometimes. You'll get your "netiquettes"(internet-etiquettes) up to par in no time. :) Just remember to browse through the Rules thread, which should usually be stickied.

[If anyone remembers any common mistakes for forum-newbies, give a heads up here!]

Green Dragon

• Tier 7
  • Finally unbound from my shackles, weak humans
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:58:36 AM »
Here is a classic rule, that I always remember, but most forum newbies forgets about.. Ahem...

The edit button is your friend. On these boards, it's called modify, though. It's right bethween the "Quote", and "Remove" buttons, and lets you modify your post!
If I could, I'd turn back time, forget it all and leave this mess behind.
If I could, her love would always be around.

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 08:42:28 AM »
A classic mistake I've seen on many boards I've been to is posting in the wrong forum. Before you post a topic, look through all the forums for a place it might fit in. If there's no such place, toss it in an Off-Topic forum. If there's no such thing as off-topic forums either, don't post it on that board.

So my recommendation: read the list of boards and their description to understand which should contain what. This includes all sub-forums.

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.