Author Topic: Drawing characters for VX?  (Read 9544 times)

AkiraOkihu

• Tier 1
Drawing characters for VX?
« on: October 05, 2014, 08:25:15 AM »
 :Evapple: :zombieva: I am working on a game, I have the main idea for the story, but I can't find the time to make it. I have spent so far ~10 hours on documentation, out of which about ~8 hours on understanding how to draw sprites. Lots of people recommended me lots of ways, but I am stuck in a loop of not being able to draw the characters. The story is set in modern times, so I need to create some modern times characters. I also am looking to make them XP size, because the chibi style of VX doesn't really fit my story. Now, my question is: how can I learn how to draw the characters? I haven't got the slightest idea about their proportions, and shading just destroys me. I was never good at drawing. Because of that I'll use Modern Times Resource Pack with some recolors and edits I will make myself, but I find it very daunting to draw characters from scratch. Are there any good tutorials on drawing XP sized characters? I would hire someone to do it, but I really can't afford a spriter, so I have to do them myself.

EDIT: I looked through the XP RTP and I found some characters I can use. Still, the problem remains, because I can't use the same sprite for all of my games. All help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:22:56 PM by AkiraOkihu »

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Re: Drawing characters for VX?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
:Evapple: :zombieva: I am working on a game, I have the main idea for the story, but I can't find the time to make it. I have spent so far ~10 hours on documentation, out of which about ~8 hours on understanding how to draw sprites. Lots of people recommended me lots of ways, but I am stuck in a loop of not being able to draw the characters. The story is set in modern times, so I need to create some modern times characters. I also am looking to make them XP size, because the chibi style of VX doesn't really fit my story. Now, my question is: how can I learn how to draw the characters? I haven't got the slightest idea about their proportions, and shading just destroys me. I was never good at drawing. Because of that I'll use Modern Times Resource Pack with some recolors and edits I will make myself, but I find it very daunting to draw characters from scratch. Are there any good tutorials on drawing XP sized characters? I would hire someone to do it, but I really can't afford a spriter, so I have to do them myself.

Hi,
There are some ways to make Characters in RPG Maker VX :

1. You don't have to start from the very beginning, you can just simply take from other sprite, cut some from one, and cut from others, and make it one new creation (If you really can't make it from the start)
(Ex : Cut the sprite's shirt from one sprite, and take jacket sprite from other sprite and combine it to be one)
you can make it from some resources by other or by sprite generator (Just go to google and search for "Rpg Maker XP Sprite Generator"

2. There are some RPG Maker VX / XP Forum, you can ask if there anyone who's willing to help you without have to paying them, Sometimes there are people who wanna give a hand.

3. If you really want to learn about RPG Maker VX Style, I'll gonna give you some brief basic Explanation.

Tutorial :
Spoiler: show

About the size of spriteset :
[Spoiler]
===================================================================================

Sprite set for VX is usually for 12 character Horizontally and 8 Characters Vertically like this :
[spoiler]

So, what you need to do is just :
1. know how big the size one sprite of your character
2. Times it by 8 Vertically (The height of your chara) and 12 Horizontally(The wide)
3. So, it'll be like this :

name of the file : Mychara.png (You can change My chara with any name you want)
It's in png is because you can't use JPEG file, because JPEG will not allow you to have transparent background (You can try it if you want too)

===================================================================================

if you want to make only one chara in one picture like this :

just put "$" in front of the name of your chara, so It'll be like this :
Name of the file : $mychara.png

It'll allow you to only one chara in one picture, instead of 8 chara in one picture

==================================================================================

I don't really remember what "!" symbol for in front of the chara name, I think It's almost same like having none of it (Just telling there are such things as "!Mychara.png")

[/Spoiler]

Some additional tutorial that might help you :

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=12136

Youtube :
[spoiler]
There are a lot of things that you can learn from youtube, you just have to type the right keyword :P

This one is pretty good to get the basic picture about making character :

Spriting Lesson #1 - Red Shirt (Now with Step-By-Step annotations!)

Fast Spriting Tutorial (RPG Maker VX)

This is the advance one (Not really recommended though)
Speedpixel - James (Rune Factory Oceans)

[/spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

Important : RPG Maker VX Screen is basically 544x416 Pixels. with script, it can up to 640x480 Pixels, So, keep in the mind that, so you won't making the sprites too big or too small.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:19:09 PM by Roxaszu »

AkiraOkihu

• Tier 1
Re: Drawing characters for VX?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 12:25:32 PM »
Thanks a lot for the tutorial. I really appreciate it!