Author Topic: How does Kan's come up with "To The Moon" Story?  (Read 5021 times)

yongnato

• Tier 2
How does Kan's come up with "To The Moon" Story?
« on: June 25, 2014, 03:47:14 PM »
I'm just so amazed when I saw To The Moon story, and I wonder how did he come up with these story and ideas? any one can give me insight of his writing technique?

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: How does Kan's come up with "To The Moon" Story?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »
I am not sure about the exacts but the birth of To the Moon story was when his grandfather fell ill and Kan started thinking about life and death. That is all I can remember from the top of my head right now.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Dragon Mage

• Tier 7
  • I am an entity from the future.
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: DragonMage156#0211
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
I am not sure about the exacts but the birth of To the Moon story was when his grandfather fell ill and Kan started thinking about life and death. That is all I can remember from the top of my head right now.
Yeah when his grandfather was ill, Kan thought about the future if he would have any regrets in his life and how he would change that or something like that. He originally was gonna write To the Moon as a book but wanted it to be more interactive and give the reader a way to explore so in conclusion that's how he came up with this beautiful game. That's about all I know.
PLS FIX OUR FORUM PROFILES!! :'(

tenkiso

• Tier 1
    • sbobet
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:49:01 AM »
I really Read Ee quite useful too. God is considered the primary guy.

yongnato

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 04:49:03 AM »

What is EE?

anyways, the main Idea is about changing someone's memory so he doesn't have any regret when he dies right?

what I'm so amazed is he can come up with a lot of stuff that seems random at first but all make sense in the end.. Is it just creativity? like he somehow come up with that out of nowhere.. or does it require some technique?

I've been wanting to write a story.. but somehow always got lost in the middle of the story... I mean how can Kan not get overwhelmed by so much things happening in the story....

Anyone can give me advice on how to actually write a story?

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 05:07:12 AM »

What is EE?

anyways, the main Idea is about changing someone's memory so he doesn't have any regret when he dies right?

what I'm so amazed is he can come up with a lot of stuff that seems random at first but all make sense in the end.. Is it just creativity? like he somehow come up with that out of nowhere.. or does it require some technique?

I've been wanting to write a story.. but somehow always got lost in the middle of the story... I mean how can Kan not get overwhelmed by so much things happening in the story....

Anyone can give me advice on how to actually write a story?

Actually It's creativity, no special technique required (Except for making games with Script or 3d or drawing.),
Read a lot of story, hear a lot of story will help you build your own story.
Just simply find an idea from another story / movie / game / etc.
Take something interesting or meaningful from it and your mind will start to grow it to your own story. (You'll learn how to write a story without you even realizing it.)
And remember to always start that from the end to the beginning. (It helps a lot)

People usually need some inspiration, what we usually do is reading a book, watching a movie, playing games, or such simple things like have a calm walk outside near the nature under the sunset horizon. (I dunno, what makes you feel really comfortable and calm so you can think a deep thought about things.)
Sometime when you think what really matter for you, you can simply start to write it on your own without your realizing it.

When one idea come out, the next idea will come some time later on, you'll just need something to trigger up your mind for that.

That's all from me. ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:12:59 AM by Roxaszu »

yongnato

• Tier 2
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:21:32 PM »
And remember to always start that from the end to the beginning. (It helps a lot)
[/quote]

How do you start it from the end? I tried it and get confused.. :o

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 01:03:30 AM »

How do you start it from the end? I tried it and get confused.. :o

Imagine how you wanna end this game (the Ending),
So you know what component in the game that you'll need to put in the story.

For Example in Brave movie (Disney) The creator want to make a story about a mother and a daughter Then of course they set the Ending as The Mother and the daughter can have a good relationship. So you can make the start, which is not really good relationship, therefore you can start to make the middle between start and the end, like "What makes these two people start to spent time together?" and what happen that will be needed in order to make this story fun yet meaningful, start from there, step by step they make the story between the start until the ending.

Hopefully you understand  :)

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
If you are looking for technique advice, there are lots of books and websites on "how to write a story/novel/book".
Two that come to mind are "The Art of Dramatic Writing" by Lajos Egri, a classic from 1947 (IIRC) that's still in print and "Write your Novel from the Middle" by James S. Bell which is nicely short.
But there are so so many more out there - Amazon will be happy to throw tons of these books at you.

How Kan's writing process works - yeahhh, only he can say (if you're lucky, he will drop in here). I do remember having read in an interview that he imagines how he wants the reader to feel at the end, and then writing the story accordingly.
One thing I noticed: When he was writing TtM, he must also have asked himself a lot of questions about whether his story is logically consistent. You will find many occasions where one of the characters, in passing, mentions why things have to be done like this and not any other way. Like, old Johnny asking "Why can't you make me go to the moon here and now?" or Eva reminding Neil why they have to make sure their client goes to the moon even though they have just found out that that's not what he's actually wishing for.
Now if I were to make wild guesses about his writing process, I would guess that he had one or more core ideas (e.g. "there is a man who wants to be reunited with his deceased wife") and then started adding details to them (e.g. "what if he has forgotten about their first meeting? okay, but why would he have forgotten about it?").
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:27:55 PM by Sun »

sochnedo

• Tier 1
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 01:46:58 AM »
People usually need some inspiration, what we usually do is reading a book, watching a movie, playing games, or such simple things like have a calm walk outside near the nature under the sunset horizon. (I dunno, what makes you feel really comfortable and calm so you can think a deep thought about things.).?
GuL

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »
Following the convo trail of general advice, I think one of the most useful ones for me have been to run into brick walls rather than to stop when seeing an impending one. I think creativity's largely fueled by overcoming limitations -- the open space / blank page's the hardest part, and it's when there is a problem to solve that we can come up with interesting things through devising the solutions.

( For me personally, I tend to stare blankly at a wall :'( )