Author Topic: Very frustrated  (Read 2882 times)

Shaded

• Tier 1
Very frustrated
« on: June 20, 2014, 07:40:54 PM »
When this game first came out a few years ago I heard a lot of great things about it so I tried to play it by doing the one hour demo from the website and I was plagued with a wealth of issues. Primarily I couldn't move past a black screen. After trying several things I decided that the game was too bugged for my money and I moved on.

Fast forward to today, and I happen to see the game on steam and I instantly remembered all the good things I heard about it, but also all the headaches just playing it has given me (I have yet to even get 1 minute into this game) I decided that time has passed and I am on a completely different computer so those issues shouldn't pop up right?

Well so much for that thought. I purchased it, downloaded it and it fired up no problem. Lovely music and I watched the intro it seemed like everything was going fine. Than right after the two doctors get done talking right after they crash their care my cursor disappears and they walk straight to the left side of the screen, they walk through the cliffs and stop at the edge, they do not move and I can't do anything else. The background music still plays, but the characters are stuck on the edge of the screen. This game has NEVER worked for me, ever. I have no idea what happens after a supposed car crash at the start of the game. So pretty much 30 seconds into it is as far as I have ever gotten.

I have searched through the technical forum, but after about 10 minutes of coming up empty handed I stopped because frankly this is a very basic game with a basic design and why it has these problems is WAY beyond me and I do not have the patience to comb through countless threads hoping to find someone that might have had the same issue as me. I would very much like to see this game through to the end and find out why the handful of people that by some miracle had no problems were talking about.

Any help would be appreciated, this is my last attempt to get this thing working before I completely give up on it -cuss-

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: Very frustrated
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
If I remember correctly this issue with the game was caused by a detection of ghost controller by the system... So did you ever played with a joypad on that particular computer?
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Shaded

• Tier 1
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »
Sure I have used a 360 controller on several other games.

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 04:34:10 AM »
Sure I have used a 360 controller on several other games.
You could try to unplug it. Or plug if it's unplugged.

I heard hitting random numpad buttons in-game had helped some people.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:04:07 AM by Kyo »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
The character walking to the side thing (which also causes the disappearing of the mouse, since it detects that the arrow key is being pressed) is most likely caused by phantom input signals, which makes sense hearing that controllers are used. Unplugging / replugging it and restarting is a good way to start. And aye, numpad keys on the keyboard sometimes also get internally stuck and could be fixed by pressing them again. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Reflection

• Tier 1
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 12:06:56 AM »
Shaded, I had this exact same problem happen to me. For some reason, at first I was able to hold down the right and down direction arrows at the same time to make my mouse appear so I could control where I wanted to go.

However, as I've posted in the Steam forums and haven't gotten any replies, I got to the horse scene where you have to get Dr. Watts off the horse. My issue now is that even though holding down the two directional arrows allowed me to move, I was always forced to the left and up. I could never go right or down, so after awhile of roaming around trying to collect the five pieces of the memory, I am now stuck in the upper left corner on the horse and I can't do anything now.

And to Kyo and Reives, I have never used a controller on this computer and I have already tried unplugging my mouse and keyboard. I tried randomly hitting numpad buttons, messing with the DEP and RGSS, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, removing all local files, and verifying the cache, etc. I also tried all the suggestions in the steam troubleshooting page and suggestions by other players in the discussion forums. None of it helped or fixed this problem.

Please help.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:11:27 AM by Reflection »

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 05:40:50 PM »
Shaded & Reflection,
I'm sorry to see you have this problem, I don't have any solutions, but do you have a Linux installation by any chance to play it on Linux?

(There have been success reports of compiling the open source mkxp engine for Windows, I wonder if it could be the only possible fix to such issues).