Author Topic: Sin Unsullied (Full version released!)  (Read 41639 times)

Abrom

• Tier 5
  • I came here for the free tears.
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
Re: Sin Unsullied (Full version released!)
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »
Sorta. My parents were determined to raise us kids as regular middle class people, even though they had tons of money. But some of my cousins have lived a more modern version of noble life. You're very strongly encouraged to date in your economic level, and my grandparents kept trying their hardest to convince me to go out with the girl they'd picked for me :P So you don't get forced into the stuff, but depending on who the rich grandpa in your family is, you COULD get disowned if you went against his wishes. I remember there were a couple of my cousins that were forbidden to be in my grandpa's sight. It was weird :P
Yeah, that definitely sounds weird :/
I was planning on introducing a couple more characters. And I was planning on killing off at least one of them lol. Maybe I should have there be about ten Reapers when Fayte becomes one, and most of them get killed off by a surprise attack from a particularly nasty Nightmare. I was going to save at least one death to happen midway through the game. I'm going to try and make a girl EVERYONE will like and care about, then have her die early-ish. It'll help get across that main characters can die. And it should also help with the dream world not seeming threatening enough :D
Oh, taking the Final Fantasy 7 Aerith route, I like it :) I guess my one concern would be - Will this chick exist as a Reaper before Ember and Fayte hook up? If so, then is she going to be such a nice, likable character, that not only would she draw Ember's affection away from Fayte, but also give Fayte hope? Because it seems pretty important that Fayte should be at the end of her rope, in order for Ember to come in, cheer her up, and allow Fayte to accept her, even though she just went through a painful breakup. Painful breakups tend to make people shy away from close relationships, so for Fayte to accept Ember so soon, you got to make me believe that Ember seems like someone really special to Fayte.

As long as the dream world becomes a bit more dangerous, you beef up and stay true to the hopelessness feel (make sure that the extra Reapers aren't cheerful), and we get some insight into Fayte and Ember's true relationship, I think this should shape up to be pretty good :)
River: *Drops hacky sack*
River: "Can you throw this is as far as where Anya's at?"
John: "I can try."
John: "(Now I'll amaze her with my feat of strength.)"
John: *Throws hacky sack into ocean*
River: *Runs to cliff edge*
John: "River! Stop looking at my awesome throw and get away from that ledge!"
River: *Backs into John and silently sits down*
John: "(...Nailed it.)"

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »
Oh, taking the Final Fantasy 7 Aerith route, I like it  I guess my one concern would be - Will this chick exist as a Reaper before Ember and Fayte hook up? If so, then is she going to be such a nice, likable character, that not only would she draw Ember's affection away from Fayte, but also give Fayte hope? Because it seems pretty important that Fayte should be at the end of her rope, in order for Ember to come in, cheer her up, and allow Fayte to accept her, even though she just went through a painful breakup. Painful breakups tend to make people shy away from close relationships, so for Fayte to accept Ember so soon, you got to make me believe that Ember seems like someone really special to Fayte.

Ember is more of a rebound for Fayte. Some people jump quickly into a new relationship after a bad breakup. Ember is nice and doesn't come with a lot of drama. Plus the other girl won't swing that way, so she'd not be an option. Fayte IS attracted to Ember. All Reapers are perfect models of beauty (whatever the person sees as the ideal version of themselves), so Ember is hot. She isn't really in love with her, but wants to. There won't be lots of options, and Ember is so nice and relaxed (but also agressive and flattering). Plus I don't think Fayte would be attracted to a pure ray of sunlight type character. She's a story teller and in love with Lee. So she'd be attracted to people she sees as interested. She'd get bored of an Aerith type character pretty quick.

As long as the dream world becomes a bit more dangerous, you beef up and stay true to the hopelessness feel (make sure that the extra Reapers aren't cheerful), and we get some insight into Fayte and Ember's true relationship, I think this should shape up to be pretty good
Alright! Thanks for all the feedback. I'm excited to finish writing Oathbound so I can get back to working on Sin Unsullied! I'm finally sure the way to go about fixing the story (all I knew before was I needed some flashbacks from when Lee and Fayte were still happy in their relationship. I have a really cute flashback to when they met planned)

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »
Ember is more of a rebound for Fayte. Some people jump quickly into a new relationship after a bad breakup. Ember is nice and doesn't come with a lot of drama. Plus the other girl won't swing that way, so she'd not be an option. Fayte IS attracted to Ember. All Reapers are perfect models of beauty (whatever the person sees as the ideal version of themselves), so Ember is hot. She isn't really in love with her, but wants to. There won't be lots of options, and Ember is so nice and relaxed (but also agressive and flattering). Plus I don't think Fayte would be attracted to a pure ray of sunlight type character. She's a story teller and in love with Lee. So she'd be attracted to people she sees as interested. She'd get bored of an Aerith type character pretty quick.
Whoa whoa whoa, see, this is the type of stuff that makes me think that Fayte's a slut. Are you trying to say that Fayte's relationship with Ember really is shallow and based on physical looks? Because you just made it sound like their relationship is based on a sexual attraction...yet, Fayte isn't interested in sex :/ I'm getting missed messages here!
Look, if you want me to feel for Fayte, don't make her do things for the wrong reasons. Now, what I mean by that, is that her relationship with Lee was supposed to be serious, right? I mean, by the sounds of it, they knew each other for a long time, and even though it was only starting to get to the point of being sexual, she was already very committed to him. Now, if Lee and Fayte had a short and shallow relationship, and she went on the rebound after the break up, that would be fine, no big deal, no strings attached (kinda slutty, but whatever). But, that's not the case; hell, Fayte became a Reaper FOR HIM! So, anyway, after coming off of a breakup with someone that they were in a serious, long term relationship with, and going for a rebound shortly afterwards, there's threes reasons that come to mind as to why one would do this.
1. They're a damaged person that doesn't want to be alone, so they'll be with anyone. BAD REASON. (I apologize if I phrased this in a demeaning way and it offends anyone. That was not my intention.)
2. They're trying to get back at their ex. BAD REASON.
3. They've known a friend for a long time and realize that it might be worth a shot with them. Not really a good reason, but you can put a positive spin on it.
Obviously, 3 is not going to apply to Fayte. And the way you make it sound, is that Fayte just wants to be with anyone that's okay to deal with...and attractive. You know, something a slut would do :/ I also never meant that Fayte would be attracted to the Aerith character (I said Ember would be). What I meant is that this Aerith shouldn't be a beacon of hope. She shouldn't be a caring friend (to Fayte, specifically). Because, although I didn't mention this early, I think there could be another reason why someone would go for a rebound after a serious relationship.
4. They're trapped in a shadow world, battling against horrible creatures. There's no hope of getting back. Everyone around them is dead or dying. The person that inspired them to come to this place never hears them out, and is hardly around (Aiden). There's only one person there that even shows kindness to them (Ember). That person listens, cares, shows lots of affection. Despite the pain and love that they still have over their previous relationship, that person is persistent about moving forward with them. It looks like that person or them could die any day, so why not give it a shot before it's too late? ACCEPTABLE.
You kept trying to get the point across to me that this relationship didn't seem like such a bad idea given the circumstances, so make me believe that. Fayte's relationship with Ember should be a last ditch effort at happiness (Ember mentions how Fayte wasn't happy before). Ember should be the one that pursued Fayte, as according to her personality (especially since Fayte shouldn't be pursuing anyone after her breakup). Make Ember far more appealing to Fayte than anyone else she's in contact with at the time, and I DON'T MEAN SEXUALLY! That's just a bonus :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 05:59:41 PM by Abrom »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2014, 11:09:29 PM »
The super attractive nature of all the Reapers is just a bonus. Yes, Fayte was deeply in love with Lee. She gave up her life (which was just finally starting to go well) to save him. Then when she tries to talk to him about it, rather than listening to her, he just assumes the worst and blows up at her (assuming that she was bored of him and became a Reaper for a shot at getting with Aiden). Think how you'd feel in that situation for a moment. You'd be emotionally crushed. And very angry. Fayte doesn't want to love Lee anymore after how he treated her, but you can't turn your feelings for someone off just because they were horrible to you. She's not using Ember, but she's not in love with her either. She was looking for a way to be happy and get over Lee, as well as a source of comfort in the depressing shadow of a life she now has. It wasn't a "I'm in love with you now, Ember. Let's hump like bunnies!" It was her deciding to give a shot to a relationship with the fun and cheerful, but snarky and still interesting, girl who's expressing an interest in her. Look at their behavior the first time we see them together. Fayte is still holding back quite a lot. Ember gushing all over her, but Fayte still has quite a few walls up.

I've been through really bad breakups before and seen others go through them. The more serious and invested in the relationship they were, the more likely they are to rebound in a relationship that won't work. If you've just been dating someone for a few months and they break up with you (even in the meanest way possible), your heart isn't going to be as broken as if you have a messy breakup with your fiance after you find out she's cheating on you (no, Fayte and Lee weren't engaged).

Fayte has a lot of reasons for deciding to date Ember. I think trying to simplify her emotions to make her seem more pure would do a disservice to the character. I think this is just an issue of you not having seen all the bits I plan on adding though. It's not just a sexual thing, but both Ember and Fayte know this is just a rebound. It's why Ember doesn't get angry when...
Spoiler: show

after you beat Edmund, Fayte ends up confessing her love to Lee in a rather dramatic fashion. I can beat edmund with level one characters, so I won't spoil the ending for ya :P It's handled a bit clumsily, but I still think you should try and get to it.

Anyways, I hope ya like her a bit more once I actually have a new version of the game in place. I'm not going to try and make Fayte a pure unspoiled maiden (she is about eighteen when the game takes place. I don't know whether or not she's a virgin, but I assume she is with how long it takes her to get around to kissing Lee :P), but I do hope she comes off like less of a slut to you and less of a bi**h to other people :P Cuz I still really like Fayte XD

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »
Okay, I guess I'm just going to have to trust that you know what you're doing. I've also seen what a bad breakup does to a serious relationship, and if the person is using their head, they know not to start dating on a fling. Like I said, rebounds after serious relationships generally aren't done for the right reasons. But, you're right, I haven't seen what your new plan is. Perhaps you could turn Fayte's flaws into a reason for me to care for her. I mean, character flaws are often what allow the viewer to care for that person. Just has to be presented the right way. So, it's all up to you, man. I just have to wait and see :) Visual novel or not, I'll definitely give it a play and tell you what I think.
It's a shame that you had to wait this long to get some real feedback on the game. Wish people would realize that being honest about a project's faults is some of the best advice a creator can hear, friend or not. Just don't be cruel about it, you know?

That ending mentioned in the spoiler - I figured that's what it is was, based on it being referred to as 'the happy ending.'
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 05:13:43 PM by Abrom »

Elke

• Tier 3
  • hiyo~ I'm kinda back?
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2014, 05:14:42 PM »
@Elke, glad you think it sounds promising :) The biggest change between my story and servant of evil is that the Len character is 12 years older than the Rin one. I had to come up with some sort of reason for the girl to inherit over the boy. So I decided to make him a bastard. He was first in line to inherit, because the queen was barren. But once she actually bore a child, assassins were hired to take out Len. I needed him to be old enough for an oath to watch out for his sister to actually mean something to him (a toddler deciding he'll protect his sister won't give his life to it. A teen might take his oaths seriously enough to). I could have made Rin a bit older, but I like the idea of her not knowing Len is her brother. After Len goes through with killing Miku, they'll have a big confrontation in which he lets slip that he's her brother and that she screwed up his life by being born. I'm almost to the part where I get to write that scene, and I'm super excited :P

Oh! That is smart! How old is Rin then for her actually to take killing someone over a boy seriously? If he's that much older, will that cause a problem later when/if he dresses up as her (if you are continuing along that line)?
-Elke-

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
@elke, she's fourteen. Much older, and it'd seem rather silly. Len is older than her, but he has magic that let's him disguise himself. So he can look identical to her (I figured I needed to give him magic for that due to the age difference XD)

@Abrom, i've got some frank criticism too, but mostly about Lee and Edmund. (And some general game mechanic ideas). I know some people are level headed enough to not do something irrational after a breakup, but Fayte is very emotional. I'm going to try an make her seem like she's really vulnerable after why happened, rather than just comin across as pissed. I've been watching a lot of shows with tsunderes lately to figure out why it works really well sometimes, and why it is incredibly annoying others. I think for it to work, we have to be able to see that the cold/bratty side is just  a way to protect a very vulnerable side. So we need to be shown some dere rather early on or she'll come across as just a b***h.

I hope I can win ya over to liking Fayte with my next attempt lol!

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2014, 06:22:24 PM »
I feel kinda invested in this now, and I was thinking about giving Sin Unsullied a more thorough playthrough, but I was only planning on doing it if you actually needed more feedback on any parts. Since you're doing a game remake, I know that you probably don't need to hear about any typos at this point. But, I don't know if you're planning on pretty much reusing scenes and lines that are already established. Is there anything that you think I should look at (you mentioned the ending earlier), or is anymore feedback even necessary at this point?

Edit - I was commenting in another thread and realized that what I had to say would be better suited here.

In regards to the voice acting, Sin Unsullied's intro was alright. The voice wasn't too bad, but it seemed to lack some emotion. I mean, it didn't feel like someone was actually saying those words to another person and meaning it; it sounded more like how someone would read lines from a book, to children, for a bedtime story. I wouldn't say that it actually added anything to the game, especially since the text presented the same message. I chuckled a couple times during it, but that's pretty much just because I couldn't believe that someone was actually trying to do it. Voice acting doesn't work in these type of games, because we don't have a mouth and facial expressions to go with it. It just seems out of place; it always will. To kinda prove my point, here's someone's attempt at Sin Unsullied (I didn't watch the whole thing) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbrqAyWN8u4

I'm pretty sure that having that voice in this game probably means something to you. But, as far as trying to 'fix' it, I don't have a good answer for that................Doesn't mean that I don't have any ideas though :) I think that maybe you could do without the text, so people feel that the voice is necessary. Have the screen be black for the voice's entirety. However, I still think we should have some sort of visual to associate the voice with. Perhaps we could have Fayte, against a black background, carrying the letter, or writing it out (since that's what it's in reference to, right?). I would be leaning towards the writing part, if there was a suitable animation to go with it. Blinking eyes could also be a visual to draw our attention. Especially if she were to keep her eyes closed while she says a difficult part to express, then opening them to write it out. Similar things could be done for carrying the letter, if you did decide to go with that. Since you have music playing at the title screen, and after the intro, I don't think there should be any music while she's speaking, especially since it's hard to get the same audio quality between both of them. Musical silence at this part could also heighten our attention to her voice. If we also got it across that these words were being written down, instead of actually spoken, you could probably get away with using the same recording that you have, since it's only what she WANTS to say, and not what she's actually saying face-to-face.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:31:43 PM by Abrom »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »
I like your ideas on how to make it more clear that it's a letter, I'll take some of em into account when I remake it.

And as things stand, I'm planning to make the remake 3D. Dunno how that'll pan out, but if I can, I'll be adding voices to the regular dialog. If that doesn't pan out, I'm planning on adding visual novel style portraits overtop the action, which I think would make the voices seem less outta place.

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2014, 08:45:25 PM »
I like your ideas on how to make it more clear that it's a letter, I'll take some of em into account when I remake it.

And as things stand, I'm planning to make the remake 3D. Dunno how that'll pan out, but if I can, I'll be adding voices to the regular dialog. If that doesn't pan out, I'm planning on adding visual novel style portraits overtop the action, which I think would make the voices seem less outta place.

Oh boy, good luck with that. If you have any chance of drawing people in with the voice acting, then you and whoever else is going to be lending their voices, have some real emotional work ahead of you. Because half-assed portrayals of characters will utterly doom the game right from the start. Hell, even if you do it right, I still question whether a majority of the game's viewers would accept it. But, here's to hoping that you can pull it off :)

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2014, 04:44:34 AM »
Voice acting doesn't work in these type of games, because we don't have a mouth and facial expressions to go with it. It just seems out of place; it always will.

I've been off for a while now, but I think I should respond to this.

No, voice acting doesn't depend much on mouth and facial expressions, voice acting depends on the context it's used in, the way the characters are portrayed, the people who are being talked to etc. Simply putting text and having it voiced out doesn't mean the voice acting is bad or unnatural, it depends on the situation and the acting. More often than not, the facial expressions don't say much during normal dialogue anyway, it's only during situations where the character is having extreme feelings or is inert to something serious that it's spotted.

Personally, I always find it odd that films and TV shows put so much focus on the character faces, especially when they aren't using their faces for much. It also becomes very dull if a lot of exposition is done using only the character faces, and they aren't particularly expressive.

The issue here really is more of how the text or exposition is presented. If for example the exposition is from a dairy and the character is trying to express something but can't, then voicing out some parts of it in a shaky, hesitating manner can work.

The other issue is that reading text in most media isn't really exciting, especially a medium that expects you to move around and perform actions a lot i.e. video games. So you generally can't have too much of it, or it starts to slow down the pace and becomes very dull to listen to, or read.

Also, the video you linked isn't proof of anything, as it's just a person trying to make goofy voices of the game and not a serious attempt. One example isn't enough to  prove any hypothesis anyway.

In short, no voice acting text in simplistic 2D games with no mouth or facial animations can work, you just need to use it properly and place it well in the game.

Here's an example of voiced text done well. I hope you like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKpAyc_GvPg

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
@Abrom, I think most people prefer voices in games, lol. Just look at all the visual novels coming out of Japan. Almost all of the highly acclaimed ones have voice actors. I think rather than being offputting or distracting, voice acting that is at least passable adds to the immersion. Though I love To The Moon and Quintessence, so there's something to be said for non-voiced games too. I'll be paying VAs, so I'll be able to get more consistent quality than I did in darkness rebirth. Also, my writing isn't as cheesy as it was back the CD

But in the end, the people who dislike the voices need not suffer. For I will include a "voice volume" option:)

@Dev J Chand

Your post makes me want a thumbs up button! I'm a big anime fan, and I've always preferred when things in games are voiced. I can't comment on the quality of the voicec acting in the video you posted (I don't speak French, and haven't watched enough French films to know what sounds natural in French), but I agree that well done voice acting can greatly enhance a work. I don't think persona 4 would have been nearly as good without ita voices (even if some of them performances are cringe worty at points) and even the bad acting in the 3D sonic games did helpb sell the narrative a bit (though to be fair to Anton, that's 3D with facial expressions).

@both, you guys aren't actually that far apart in your opinion. You both think good voice acting coupled well with the visuals is a good thing. You just disagree on the exact things that make the voice acting qualify as stilted or out of place. I think with good visuals and voice acting, I can please you both with the results :)

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2014, 03:59:57 PM »
@legacyblade
But in the end, the people who dislike the voices need not suffer. For I will include a "voice volume" option:)
That would be a very good idea.
I can't comment on the quality of the voicec acting in the video you posted (I don't speak French, and haven't watched enough French films to know what sounds natural in French), but I agree that well done voice acting can greatly enhance a work.
Ditto.

@Dev J Chand
Also, the video you linked isn't proof of anything, as it's just a person trying to make goofy voices of the game and not a serious attempt. One example isn't enough to  prove any hypothesis anyway.
It's the only video of Sin Unsullied that I could find, and her reaction to the voice acting was all I was referring to. Anyway, the main point that I was trying to make is that bad voicing would kill Sin Unsullied, no matter what else was good about it (the voice volume option could due away with this problem though). Big triple-A games might be able to get away with it if they have enough other positives about the game to keep the audience around, but I think a majority of people would agree that they would rather have text than atrocious voice acting. I mean, I imagine that most would prefer good voice acting over text, but if you can't do that, then why bother?
Secondly, like I said, I agree that good voice acting could help. I agree that how the voice is used is very important. But, I will still disagree that having a face to go with it doesn't matter. Yeah, it might not matter if we're hearing someone talk over a radio, but when I'm listening to two characters having a conversation, and their sprites are standing right before my eyes, I very much would like to see their facial expressions and mouths to go along with what they're saying; it helps sell the emotion even more to the viewer. I mean, I can no longer imagine about what that person's voice could sound like and how they're expressing those words, because giving them an actual voice takes that away from me. If you're going to tell me that's how that person sounds in that conversation, then don't stop there. Give me a face to go with it and physical expressions. You've already set the tone, now drive home the emotion with the visuals as well. Obviously, if the 'game' is just about reading letters, books, and whatnot, and the person is just talking out-loud to himself, his facial expressions and mouth aren't going to be a big role, since most people don't really rely on facial expressions when they're talking to themselves :/

P.S. - I just realized that I probably caused some confusion when I said:
Voice acting doesn't work in these type of games
I wasn't referring to visual novels, I was referring to these RPGMaker games and those like it; these free games (with low quality visuals) made with some simple editor. But really, when I think about it, I could say that same thing about all free games that involve face to face conversations, which requires some kind of emotion. Hell, games that actually have a budget have a hard time getting voiced conversations right, and I've yet to hear of a free game that's managed it. Of course, there is no absolute rule about these things, and I imagine that there must be a free game out there with some decently (English) voiced conversations. If anyone knows of one, please share ^_^ And I'm not referring to those 'free' MMOs that make money in non-subscription based ways.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:30:33 PM by Abrom »

Dev J Chand

• Tier 5
  • Wacky Cynic
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2014, 02:56:01 AM »
Anyway, the main point that I was trying to make is that bad voicing would kill Sin Unsullied, no matter what else was good about it (the voice volume option could due away with this problem though). Big triple-A games might be able to get away with it if they have enough other positives about the game to keep the audience around, but I think a majority of people would agree that they would rather have text than atrocious voice acting. I mean, I imagine that most would prefer good voice acting over text, but if you can't do that, then why bother?

This is not necessarily true. While people in general would favour good voice acting over bad, and some text over some poorly voice acted lines, there are cases where the narrative was badly acted, but was still well received. Deus Ex has really bad voice acting, with some overdone accents, but many people praised its story as a great one that is relevant even today.

I mean, I can no longer imagine about what that person's voice could sound like and how they're expressing those words, because giving them an actual voice takes that away from me. If you're going to tell me that's how that person sounds in that conversation, then don't stop there. Give me a face to go with it and physical expressions.

I have no problem with guessing about how the people speaking might look like, hell I enjoy doing it sometimes. I understand that you want a face to contextualize a person along with the voice, and infact, I would prefer it too if possible, because just having two sprites face each other and talk isn't the best narrative style, and it can get tiresome very quickly. But it's not necessary all the time, there are stealth games where you overhear people talking but don't actually see much of them because you're supposed to stay hidden. There are instances where you want to show some people talking but hide their looks, because they are involved in something important and you want to keep their identity a surprise. In such cases, showing facial expressions isn't necessary and it would detract from the feel of eavesdropping on conversations, or listening to some mysterious people I think.

Abrom

• Tier 5
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2014, 12:06:17 PM »
I have no problem with guessing about how the people speaking might look like, hell I enjoy doing it sometimes. I understand that you want a face to contextualize a person along with the voice, and infact, I would prefer it too if possible, because just having two sprites face each other and talk isn't the best narrative style, and it can get tiresome very quickly. But it's not necessary all the time, there are stealth games where you overhear people talking but don't actually see much of them because you're supposed to stay hidden. There are instances where you want to show some people talking but hide their looks, because they are involved in something important and you want to keep their identity a surprise. In such cases, showing facial expressions isn't necessary and it would detract from the feel of eavesdropping on conversations, or listening to some mysterious people I think.
Yes, given the context of the situation, you wouldn't need to see faces. But for the majority of Sin Unsullied, with heated face to face conversations, if there's going to be voice acting, then I want faces.