Author Topic: Sin Unsullied (Full version released!)  (Read 41638 times)

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
Re: Sin Unsullied (Full version released!)
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »
I could no longer wait for a fix for the Mac port so I played the full version on Wine and I'm glad that I did. :)
If I'm not mistaken it is the first game I have played since July and I'm happy that I did.
I guess Roxaszu and others have pointed to the most important things, so I'm sorry if some of the things I say has been said before.
First of all I really like the visual style of the world Reapers live on and the importance of bonding with other characters beside having battles and action scenes.
I have mixed feelings about the battles, sometimes it was challenging, sometimes it seemed random.
About the story, I really like the regret theme and the way it tries to bring different perspectives to the story, not just from the view of the main character.

I believe the story has a lot of potentials and you can expand on it:
- You can add more scenes introducing the characters and their backgrounds. I know you had a limited time because of the contest but if you intend on spending time to improve the game I think it really helps to have more flashbacks, more interaction between characters, etc.

- The Reapers philosophy and their history would greatly benefit from getting explained in more detail. I know it may make the game boring for people who don't want to read a lot of text, but I guess it would help if there were some characters or items (such as books, notes, etc.) that you could optionally interact with them to learn more about Reapers and their philosophy.

- I think it would be more true to Lee's character if he showed more stubbornness and if he acted more revengeful. Maybe it was because of the peaceful sentences I chose when I was given the choice, but in my opinion his anger and mistrust should have caused him to do more regrettable things.

Spoiler: show
BTW, Having a cool lesbian character and the suicide scene in the end are only some of the things that many game creators are afraid to do but it has made your game pretty unique and memorable to me.  :kardiansmile:

I really enjoyed playing it and I have to congratulate you on finishing it in time for the contest. :)
Keep up the great work!

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2014, 06:26:34 AM »
Hey, Ali !
Where have you been ?!
So, You can't play RPG Maker XP in mac without Wine ?
I was wondering and wanna ask you about wine and the port you said before, What is that ?

BTW, Having a cool lesbian character and the suicide scene in the end are only some of the things that many game creators are afraid to do but it has made your game pretty unique and memorable to me.  :kardiansmile:

Ughh...
I just realize it, I guess I kinda ....
"Ughh :P"
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:28:45 AM by Roxaszu »

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2014, 08:25:49 AM »
Hey, Ali !
Where have you been ?!
I was wondering and wanna ask you about wine and the port you said before, What is that ?
Hi Roxaszu,
I have been visiting the forums more or less but I was very busy.
RPG Maker XP* games can be played on Mac and Linux with the help of mkxp engine made by Ancurio, but if the ruby scripts used in the game depend on Win32APIs, you should either use the functionality Ancurio added to mkxp to simulate them or if there is no equivalent in mkxp, you should rewrite the script.
Early demos of Sin Unsullied used different scripts that could be relatively easily ported to Mac with mkxp.
The full version uses a custom keyboard script that relies on Win32APIs and I was unable to make it work with mkxp.

* Latest versions of mkxp have experimental support for RGSS2 and RGSS3 scripts, therefore in the near future we can count on mkxp for porting RPG Maker VX and VX Ace games too.
https://github.com/Ancurio/mkxp

Wine is a reimplementation of the Windows API for other operating system such as Mac and Linux, Wine acts as a compatibility layer to allow you run Windows applications without modification on alternative platforms.
Most RPG Maker XP, VX and VX Ace games and many other Windows software can run on Mac and Linux with the help of Wine, sometimes with bugs and performance issues, sometimes almost perfectly.
When it comes to choosing between mkxp and Wine, whenever a game can be played natively with mkxp on Mac, I prefer it to Wine, but when I fail at changing the ruby scripts to make them compatible, I resort to using Wine.
https://www.winehq.org

Quote from:
Ughh...
Why Ugh... ? ;)

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2014, 11:28:46 AM »
Hey, Ali !
Where have you been ?!
Hi Roxaszu,
I have been visiting the forums more or less but I was very busy.
RPG Maker XP* games can be played on Mac and Linux with the help of mkxp engine made by Ancurio, but if the ruby scripts used in the game depend on Win32APIs, you should either use the functionality Ancurio added to mkxp to simulate them or if there is no equivalent in mkxp, you should rewrite the script.
Early demos of Sin Unsullied used different scripts that could be relatively easily ported to Mac with mkxp.
The full version uses a custom keyboard script that relies on Win32APIs and I was unable to make it work with mkxp.

* Latest versions of mkxp have experimental support for RGSS2 and RGSS3 scripts, therefore in the near future we can count on mkxp for porting RPG Maker VX and VX Ace games too.
https://github.com/Ancurio/mkxp

Wine is a reimplementation of the Windows API for other operating system such as Mac and Linux, Wine acts as a compatibility layer to allow you run Windows applications without modification on alternative platforms.
Most RPG Maker XP, VX and VX Ace games and many other Windows software can run on Mac and Linux with the help of Wine, sometimes with bugs and performance issues, sometimes almost perfectly.
When it comes to choosing between mkxp and Wine, whenever a game can be played natively with mkxp on Mac, I prefer it to Wine, but when I fail at changing the ruby scripts to make them compatible, I resort to using Wine.
https://www.winehq.org
Owh,
Ok, I get it, more or less.
Is it (Wine and mkxp) something that you have to install it first, or is it like a patch or something like that (Which you don't have to install it) ?

Ughh...
Why Ugh... ? ;)

Ugghhh,
That's somehow ....
Wrong for me.

So, yeah...
It's just ...
totally wrong ... :reivsweat:
If you wanna know the detail about why , maybe I can give it a shot and explain it to you...  :reivsweat:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:41:27 PM by Roxaszu »

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2014, 11:57:30 AM »
Owh,
Is it (Wine and mkxp) something that you have to install it first, or is it like a patch or something like that (Which you don't have to install it) ?
For both of them you can either install it on your machine and point it to the game files or bundle it with the game.
For Wine on Linux it is more common to install it first then install and run Windows software on it.
On Mac, people either install Wine first and run applications with it or download and user "Wine wrappers" which are actually a portable version of Wine bundled with the game files.
For mkxp, since it is native software it makes sense to just bundle it with the game and the Mac/Linux user may never know that they are actually running the game with mkxp.

If you wanna know the detail aboutwhy , maybe I can give it a shot and explain it to you...  :reivsweat:
I guess we have to agree to disagree.
It is one of those controversial topics that rarely one side can persuade the other side and usually nothing good comes from such discussions.
What you have said is not offensive to LegacyBlade since he is not homosexual and I don't think by creating a homosexual character he wanted to endorse homosexuality, but it may be offensive to others, it is up to you to decide but if I were you I would edit my post.

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »
Owh,
For both of them you can either install it on your machine and point it to the game files or bundle it with the game.
For Wine on Linux it is more common to install it first then install and run Windows software on it.
On Mac, people either install Wine first and run applications with it or download and user "Wine wrappers" which are actually a portable version of Wine bundled with the game files.
For mkxp, since it is native software it makes sense to just bundle it with the game and the Mac/Linux user may never know that they are actually running the game with mkxp.

Ok, Got it. :gothat!:
I'll try to learn more about it later on then.
Thanks Ali, This will be really helpful for me later on. ;)

I guess we have to agree to disagree.
It is one of those controversial topics that rarely one side can persuade the other side and usually nothing good comes from such discussions.
What you have said is not offensive to LegacyBlade since he is not homosexual and I don't think by creating a homosexual character he wanted to endorse homosexuality, but it may be offensive to others, it is up to you to decide but if I were you I would edit my post.

Yeah,
I agree.
And yeah, I'm not saying creating homosexual character makes him one (in fact, It's not what I'm saying at all)
I was actually ...
Nevermind. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:38:10 PM by Roxaszu »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »
@Ali, I'm glad you played it all the way through ^.^ And I totally agree with you about the battles. They were literally the last thing I put in, so they didn't have much polish. What I'm planning on doing is replacing the minute long battle fests with little dungeons with a miniboss at the end. It'll allow me to force the player to get more acquainted with the battle system and controls, as well as have more time to enjoy the action at their own pace.

I do like your idea of giving Lee more vengeful options to pick. I'm thinking I may steal a page out of Catherine's book and have a little morality meter. At certain key points, Lee's actions will be dictated by how you've been playing him (and it'll give you a clear indication that that's the point). Until I come up with a better name, I'm gonna call the morality meter the "angst-o-meter" :P Cuz it measures how angsty you've been playing Lee up to that point.

BTW, what do you think about having certain parts of the game where you play as Fayte? I'm feeling that there's too long a time period without any gameplay to sink your teeth into. So I'm thinking that at some point while Lee is still a human, we switch to controlling Fayte and get a tutorial dungeon in Reverie.

Also, I like the idea of leaving little flavor text books laying around. Maybe I'll have a little catalog that keeps track of all the texts you've read and lets you reread them. That'll help encourage players to explore, if they like that sorta thing!

@Roxaszu, lol, are you saying you didn't notice that Ember was lesbian?

Regardless, yeah. Including a character isn't a statement on whether or not I endorse homosexuality. I don't usually agree with what my characters believe, but they make their own choices. Though I'm not going to share my thoughts on whether or not homosexuality is acceptable, as you'll piss off a large group either way you go :P

Just as a bit of advice though, you're going to get a lot of flack if you describe homosexuals as gross XD You're welcome to have your own opinion, but just be careful in how you express it.

That being said, do you find homosexuality to be morally wrong? Or is it just something you find distasteful to watch?Just curious as to what your opinion is :3

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2014, 01:13:28 PM »
@Roxaszu, lol, are you saying you didn't notice that Ember was lesbian?
No,
Not at all,
When I played your game to review it and find bug,
It's already pass the midnight (If I'm not mistaken)
and my eyes already asking for me to go to bed,
So I just passed most of the conversation between those two,
I thought they are just some normal girls who (can't find another place to sleep and have to) share their own bed as a friend, nothing else...
(Since I'm not reading the text and just see the picture).
So, Yeah...
I'm not quite aware of that.

Just as a bit of advice though, you're going to get a lot of flack if you describe homosexuals as gross XD You're welcome to have your own opinion, but just be careful in how you express it.
Yeah, Thanks...
I'm aware of that too...
It's just ...
Spoiler: show

Nah...
Forget it :P

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:45:14 PM by Roxaszu »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2014, 01:15:38 PM »
Ah ok. That makes sense. And unless you go down Ember's route, their relationship isn't focused on too much, so I can see how if you were just watching the images you could miss that.

And alright, lol. I will wait for it :P

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »
@Roxaszu,
You're welcome, feel free to ask any questions you may have about such ports in the future. :)

@legacyblade,
I agree with all the improvements you have mentioned, including "angst-o-meter".
I would really like to play as Fayte at some point, it helps to see the story from different perspectives and also get more acquainted with characters.
I remember in Paper Mario, which is my favorite Nintendo game of all time, I really liked it when I was given the chance to play as Princess Peach, although she could not do much it was still interesting (I did not intend to compare Fayte's character with Princess Peach, they are pretty much the opposite!).

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »
Those were always my favorite parts too! Me and my friends used to like to play single player games together and switch off. We always fought over the princess peach sections XD Though I totally agree with you. Fayte is pretty much the exact opposite of peach :P I think seeing her away from Lee can help fix a major problem people have with her: we never really see her happy or having fun. Seeing her when she's not around someone she shares a painful history with will allow the player to observer her in a different light.

And I'm glad you like the angst-o-meter, lol. I thought it was a really cool concept in Catherine. It just was underused (as the story didn't really branch at all. Your actions just slightly changed Vincent's internal monologue). I can't wait to play around with it!

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
Looking forward to see the improvements in a future version. :)

I also think it would help to at least see some scenes about the father character, especially after his son is gone, I'm not suggesting making him playable, but I think he deserves to defend his view. ;)

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2014, 03:15:47 AM »
Oooh, good idea! I didn't even think of showing more of the father. I think he'd be furious at first that his son became a Reaper, but eventually come to blame himself and have a lot of remorse. He DID care about his son. He just didn't know how to be a father as his own was busy playing hero all the time. (Edmund, lee's grandfather, was a great man, just not a very good husband or father. He would have been a far better general in an army than the head of a noble household). Thanks for the suggestion Ali!

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2014, 05:55:17 PM »
I'm glad that you are considering my suggestion, but feel free to discard it if in the final work you don't like it, I'm just tossing ideas around! :)

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »
I am downloading this game and going to play it! ;3
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/