Author Topic: Zelda: Fourswords-like game engine  (Read 3840 times)

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
Zelda: Fourswords-like game engine
« on: May 14, 2014, 05:49:02 PM »
Hey everyone! (man it's been ages since I posted anything on this site) I'm currently working on making a custom game engine. It's for a game I'm currently planning on making into a four-swords style game (If you haven't played Zelda: Four Swords adventure, you probably didn't have enough game boy advances lying around. You also haven't lived :P). But I'm also thinking of also releasing a version of it (along with an editor) catered to making To The Moon style games. That's on the backburner though.

Anyways, I decided to start posting here because no one ever visits my blog, and I want a bit of encouragement and feedback as I work on this. It's A LOT of work, and I have times where I'm not motivated because it feels like no one cares what I'm working on. So I figured it's in the best interest of getting this thing finished to start talking about it on an active forum where I'm well known (or at least used to be). Plus, I've been planning on becoming active here again anyways.

So far, I've gotten a filing system working. It supports compressing many text/image/whatever files into one file, and extracting them at run time into a temporary directory. I'm planning on including a level editor with the game, so I want it to be easy to share your adventures with eachother (I'm thinking a .adventure file :P)

Also, I've gotten a "2D Skeletal Animation System" working. That's what I decided to call it anyways. What it does it take a chopped up drawing and animate it with keyframes. It's sort of like flash, but it uses existing images instead of vectors.

If you want to see that in action, here's two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQhil5xiJy4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykRq0U8CU4I

If you want to read all my past updates, here's a link to my blog:

http://pixelbards.com/

If you've read this far, you must have a lot of patience o.o So please, be patient enough to leave some sort of comment lol. I mean, if this doesn't make it as a four-swords type game, wouldn't it be awesome to be able to just draw a character once from every angle and use them in a To the Moon style sprite-movie? (I guess it wouldn't be a "sprite" movie anymore...ummm...a navigable visual novel?) I'll be posting more here and on my blog as I make progress. Hope to hear from you!

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
Re: Zelda: Fourswords-like game engine
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 06:25:13 PM »
I haven't played Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (I know, my loss, it is not the only GBA game I have missed) but I have watched your videos and I think what you are doing has a lot of potentials, if there are not enough followers simply add a face to Mr. Testman and he will look a lot more interesting :)
I wish I could comment about the technical stuff but I don't have the required skills.  :reivsweat:

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »
@Ali, thanks for commenting ^.^ It's quite a sad day that you didn't play four swords on the GBA. But there is a gamecube version that you CAN play with just one person (though it's best when you connect four GBAs as controllers. It's totally worth the investment to buy enough GBAs to play it with your friends, IMHO). I'm glad you think it has potential! And Mr Testman is very temporary lol. My artist was dragged away by her parents, and I'm trying to work out a place in town she can stay and get back to work. Once this happens, all tests will be conducted on a cute anime girl with three tails lol. That should draw a tad more attention than my multicolored friend here.

Roxaszu

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:45:26 AM »
Hmmmm,
This is interesting...
Well, I haven't played the game either, And I don't have GBA (Anyway, I can download Emulator and the Roms now or watch it on Youtube).
But I think It's true, It's have potential.

Do you ever use "Anime Studio Pro", I used that once and It's looks like almost same.

Owh, And btw, Just a little note, If you want to make the "To The Moon Sprite Style", It's a lot easier and save a lot more time (If you planning it), So yeah...
I recommend it.

Anyways, I decided to start posting here because no one ever visits my blog, and I want a bit of encouragement and feedback as I work on this. It's A LOT of work, and I have times where I'm not motivated because it feels like no one cares what I'm working on.

If I may give a little advice,
1. Your blog is a little bit "Colorless" and "Pictureless", It's pretty good stuff for you to keep someone's attention (With less and effective words)
2. Almost all of Artisan (Or Right-Brain Dominant) have the same problem, can't work without motivation or when we are not in the mood (Even me sometimes), but anyway, Maybe It's a good things to learn about Consistency (Working even when we are not in the mood), It'll really helpful in the future <My Experience and many others>

Plus, I've been planning on becoming active here again anyways.

Welcome Back :)

Eli

• Tier 7
  • Det. Meddlesome
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:12:32 AM »
You're welcome :)
I agree with Roxaszu, it certainly helps to post images from your progress in your blog and increase the color contrast.

BTW, I have Nintendo Wii and I will certainly play the GCN version if I find an original disc to buy.
(In my country the moment a workaround is discovered for circumventing a console's copy protection, original games disappear and copy versions take their position. It is a pirate's heaven and a living hell for me).

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 11:17:19 AM »
@Roxaszu, Thanks for the welcome ^.^

I'm not planning on making the game with sprites. Lol. That would make the months I've spent trying to get that animation engine working pointless. What it does is take images (upper arm, lower arm, hand, torso, head, upper leg, lower leg, and foot) and animate them dynamically. With the amount of animations this game is going to need, that will save a lot of work for my ONE artist. She only has to draw each part once from each angle.

What I'm thinking of possibly doing is in addition to making a four swords style engine, re-purpose it so that others can use it to easily make games in the vein of To The Moon. RPG Maker is windows only, and it isn't particularly geared to glorified visual novel. I have ideas on how to streamline the process of making that style of game, and I might make it just to hopefull increase the amount of "sprite movies" that exist (even though they won't be using sprites in this engine)

As for your advice, I totally see what you mean. I doubt I'd read through my long walls of text without any pictures XD So I'll do what I can to provide screenshots in my posts.

Also, I've gotten very good at working consistently. I just can't put all my effort into it during times it feels pointless. So I don't have as much energy as I usually would most of the time. I still work from 12:30 - 6:30 every weekday without fail XD

@Ali, I know that feeling. I'm in a small town, and my gamestop doesn't carry gamecube games anymore. My only way to find older titles is the ebay. And man. Four swords is like...40 bucks on ebay! If you have a wii, you can install dios mios to run gamecube isos off of an external hard drive or SD card. My wii's disk drive doesn't work super well, so I needed to do this so I could run my vast library of gamecube and wii games reliably. I'd check that out if legal copies are hard to come by in your area (though if at all possible, please support the original creators!)