Author Topic: Quick controversial question  (Read 7329 times)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: Quick controversial question
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
Maybe I did,but you can't deny that I am not the very same person I was long ago. From both biological AND psychological view.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Fl0x

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
Maybe I did,but you can't deny that I am not the very same person I was long ago. From both biological AND psychological view.

Then your signature couldn't possibly be accurate.
If you change every day, or at least say so, shouldn't you also renew your personality test thing every day aswell?

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 11:41:42 AM »
I have never put the measure on the everyday change because those changes do not have a predictable pattern.
A person is changed to a degree by what they did that day. They read a book and some passage might inspire them to do something, to think of something to articulate an opinion... That is a change and usually a small one. There might be an accident in which someone close is injured that is also a change but you must admit that this change is far more serius than forming an opinion.
So while we change everyday the "scale" of change may sway from minimal to radical.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »
Thinking A Bird Story will be as good as, or better than To The Moon, is a poor expectation. Instead of comparing its quality to its previous game, is very stupid. It should be on its own in the terms of quality.

I agree with this to an extent. If you make a sequel to something, you're basically asking for it to be recognized using the impressions from the first installment. And if you intentionally use the first installment as a way to create the second, it means you require the judgement of an audience looking at both simultaneously.

I agree that it's silly to judge Product B based on Product A, but in the case of sequels, that's exactly what's being asked. You can't say, "For all of you people who liked Super Mario Bros., here's Super Mario Bros. 2! But, um, they're totally different games so don't judge the quality of the second on the first unless it makes you want to buy the second."

All that said, ABS isn't really a sequel to TtM so much as a story that takes place in the same universe, really.

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 10:24:21 PM »
Thinking A Bird Story will be as good as, or better than To The Moon, is a poor expectation. Instead of comparing its quality to its previous game, is very stupid. It should be on its own in the terms of quality.
I agree that it's silly to judge Product B based on Product A, but in the case of sequels, that's exactly what's being asked. You can't say, "For all of you people who liked Super Mario Bros., here's Super Mario Bros. 2! But, um, they're totally different games so don't judge the quality of the second on the first unless it makes you want to buy the second."

I guess it's a commen way to judge a series by one of the games, but I don't like doing that. Say for example, if you watch the film Madagascar, you would say that it was okay. But it being a children's film, you would be aware that Madagascar 2 would be likely to be made. Madagascar 2 could be a terrible film, and for the most part, people are expecting it to be a terrible film, because it's a sequal (Spoilers; Madagascar was better than the 2nd one).
But with games the expectation changes radicaly, for example, if you play Portal you think it's a great game, then you expect there to be another, but instead of cringing at the thought of another Portal game, you embrace it. (Though of course, Portal has so much more you could do in it, and so much more plot you can explore, in comparision to a movie which concluded itself, but still made sequals.)

I hope that made sense, I just woke up, so it might be all over the place.  :seraisweat:
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 01:01:45 AM »
It WAS all over the place! XD No, I think I get you.

But there are other examples we can use in defense of judging sequels. Broken Age is out, and you can play it. But only one half. If you buy the second half of the story, which would be an extension of the tale, you would be weird not to judge it based on the first half.

Sequels are weird in that they you can also just call them "episodes" in a complete saga. Look at the Star Wars series, where every sequel is an episode in a large tale. If George Lucas didn't want Star Wars Episode I to be judged based on Star Wars Episode IV-VI, he shouldn't have made it Episode I. Likewise, The Walking Dead has multiple episodes, and in each of those episodes you have a different arc or whatever, but you sort of HAVE to judge each extension of the story to the previous one.

I don't believe all judgment has to be compared to the other parts of the saga in any given case, but a complete separation would be like saying the second half of To the Moon was super good and shouldn't be judged based on the first half.

By making Portal 2, Valve has unmistakably asserted to the audience that the story of Portal has two parts, and just like in the To the Moon example, it makes little sense to judge the second half of a story without considering the first. If Valve wanted Portal 2 to not be compared to Portal, maybe they could have made a new spin-off in the same universe instead... call it Half-Life or something. XD

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 02:37:50 PM »
Half-Life 3 confirmed.

On Topic: I don't think I'll mind if the game is not as good as To The Moon while I play it. In fact, when I play things, I don't criticize them as I go, I just enjoy them. Then when I'm done, I think about it and form my opinions. I feel like it's worth giving everything a fair try before judging it. Unless it's absolutely terrible and makes me self-conscious of the poor writing while I play, but I hardly doubt that'll be the case here.

It's not even gonna be the same concept as To The Moon (the doctors won't be treating a patient in it) so to me it wouldn't feel right to directly compare them. And the scope is different. Maybe Episode 2 would be more deserving of a direct comparison. We'll deal with that when the time comes.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 03:35:21 PM by Ferdk »
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 06:19:24 PM »
Then I will think "It was not as good as To the Moon.". And afterwards, in all likelihood, I will wait for episode 2 and buy it. Gotta play things first, then comes evaluating them. There's a risk involved, sure, but I don't think things will be as bad as the ending of ME 3.

SinnyVic

• Tier 4
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »
Well, praise the sun; ABS isn't exactly named "To The Moon 2" or anything and I don't typically deduct likeability points from a game for its prequels or sequels. However, I do give a game likeability points if there are returning characters or references and for revealing previously unknown backstories from previous games.

Since ABS focuses on a different story, I would say it shouldn't be judged based on a comparison to TTM.