Author Topic: Guns, Bows, Swords, Knifes, Martial Arts  (Read 2666 times)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Guns, Bows, Swords, Knifes, Martial Arts
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
In this topic I'd like to try if anybody shares my... enthusiasm not only in guns but in weapons general for any use from military to just plain plinking. From serius battles to reenactment or theatre. When we're at this talk many train their bodies to be weapon by practising Martial arts. So I'd like this topic to be about these things being it a technique with polearms, sword or plain old fists.

So little about me in this area:

Blades: Most experience I have with long blades namely rapier and European swords (Royal Armouries Ms. I.33, German style of swordfight) about 10 years. I have some experience with knifes, pole weaponry and staffs and limited experience with clubs and Katanas.
My favourite weapons would be staff, longsword and Kerambit

Guns/Bows: I am a fresh holder of firearms licence and gun nut for over a decade. I have some experience with bows but nothing of practical use outside of range. I am on side of practical instead being tactical. I don't really need all those bells and whistles but I understand their applicability and potential. For example I want to fit my Vz. 858 with rail system for red dot and flashlight. That much is good enough for me. As far as handguns goes I wouldn't go over flash light and night iron-sights.
My favourites would be CZ 75 (80s production) Vz. 58 and Mosin Nagant. I prefer wooden bows of classical construction over those modern ones.

Martial arts: Are my hobby while I train them for quite a while I don't really follow any system properly so even though it doesn't look like much I believe I can hold myself fairly well in sparring. I have basics of Karate and Muay Thai and yellow-green belt of Taekwondo. I usually mix these three into setting that fits me and have some limited experience of grappling.
Kicks and elbows lead the way.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 08:01:46 PM by Just Lance »
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

~

• 放浪者
  • Tier 3
  • Beauty Hunter
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
Re: Guns, Bows, Swords, Knifes, Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:45:52 PM »
Is this a general weapons thread?

My experience physically handling weapons is limited. In Australia most weapons are strictly regulated if they're not outright prohibited. In Australia, "concealed carry" is something like putting dangerous spiders in your pockets. Additionally, I don't necessarily agree with how the vast majority of weapons are applied IRL.

That said however, I enjoy the application of scientific theory to weapons in general; I appreciate the engineering that goes into them. I'm the sort of person that gets excited when comparing the technical differences between cartridges and the differing engineering approaches between the venerable AK-47 and something like a HK G36. The guns I'm most interested in would probably be the ones designed around WWI and maybe upwards of a century prior. Pretty much the transition period from black powder to smokeless and the advent of various repeating firearm designs.

I like bladed weapons too and knives in particular (probably the least regulated weapons you could get here). I like the more bushcraft and survival oriented knives than tacticool fighting knives. I suppose I appreciate the utility of them a little more. I like how simple and effective some historical weapons were for their purpose, e.g. how some were designed to concuss through (or simply punch a hole in) the heavier armour of the later medieval period - that sort of thing.

I'm not very familiar with martial arts, though I will say that the choreography that goes into the fancier ones is pretty awesome to watch, irrespective of any martial practicality.
- visitor | hunter

Oink

• Tier 3
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 04:28:25 PM »
Ga, good ol' AK... I'm not one for guns, but AK just have this feel to it... Like, firin' it in the air and scream "Ni dieu ni maître!!!" Ahem...

Fl0x

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 04:46:58 PM »
I can't explain why, but guns make me sick. I just don't feel any pleasure by using a gun; The only types of guns I actually like are revolvers, but only because of their looks.
Swords and Bows, on the other hand, are beautiful things I am glad we still have.
Just imagining slicing something in pieces is a pleasure to me.
Long, sharp and cold steel traversing through what once was solid matter... just... this. THIS.

I think we should ban guns all around the world and go back to a honorable way of making war, if it ever came to one again... or some sort of Apocalypse.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »
Do you realize that "honourable" way of fight is a romanticized version of things past? To be honest more the recent you go in history the more you see at least a curtsey to train their army that wasn't consisting solely of nobility and their retinues, but also from common folks (usually the largest part of these armies) who usually knew knew nothing more than how to take care of their fields.
Yes nobility had their ways of honour but that was for times of peace it did not happened in times of war.
So please spare me of "civilized noble times of the past" talk. The first attempt to make war "humane" are The Geneva Conventions.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Oink

• Tier 3
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:15:56 PM »
"War... War never changes." Gettin' off topic to make war... Let's talk bout martial arts instead.

I'd had some interests in traditional Chinese Martial Arts in the past and had joined a club in the past. Exhaustive stretchin' and stance practice, but those are preliminaries and not worth much talkin' bout. The master always says that you gotta get a feel for it otherwise you're just waving your hands around. And surely, as I see it, if you just go through the motions its more like an artform or dance than actual fighting. For self-defence, akido and taekuando are more realistic, but all self-defence teachers will tell you that running is the first and foremost thing to do if you are approached. So much for romanticized version of things past...