Author Topic: Do Soul Mates Exist?  (Read 9849 times)

Juice Box

• Dumpling
  • Tier 2
  • Olly-olly-oxen-free!
    • Lemons4winMelons4Suck
  • Current Mood: playful playful
Re: Do Soul Mates Exist?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 08:28:56 AM »
No, I don't believe in a "soul mate."

And I'm frankly fine with it. I'd honestly rather have an imperfect partner than a perfect one.

Because, I don't know--if you have an imperfect partner, then he'll try to be perfect for you, which I personally think is better than perfection itself. See my signature for more details.

But anyways, statistically, there will be a person out there with absolutely the same likes and dislikes. Someone who is willing to listen the unique story we all possess called, "our lives." But I don't believe that that person is "destined" to meet you.

I don't believe in destiny. I don't believe that everything we do is worthless, but I don't believe in destiny. I believe that the path we choose to take is not predetermined--it can be influenced by the people around us, and there are some parts of it that we can't change, but what we do in that path is still ultimately up to us.
"Imperfection is what makes humans perfect."
- Me

"Imperfection is what makes humans perfect--but imperfection isn't the entire beauty of it. The strive for perfection is."
- Jeol Friend Person

"Olly-olly-oxen-free!"
- Hannah Baker

Thirteen Reasons Why and The Fault in Our Stars. If you've read them, you have my undying respect.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »
Because, I don't know--if you have an imperfect partner, then he'll try to be perfect for you, which I personally think is better than perfection itself. See my signature for more details.

I think your signature says it best, but doesn't that create a sort of implicit desire for your perfect mate? If the best kind of person you personally could be with is one who always tries to make themselves better for you, that type of person is more "perfect" than the alternative. That imperfection makes them perfect. The trick, of course, being that for that phrase to work, the word "perfect" is slightly different, but that last word in the phrase--the "makes humans perfect"--heavily implies that there is a personal standard of perfection being met.

It seems weird to float around this term so much, but I think Soul Mates are personalized perfection in their definition. To have ideals about what makes a mate best for you is to decide where they fit on a line between Perfect and Not.

SinnyVic

• Tier 4
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
Personally, I don't believe that you'll find your soul mate by following your personal preferences.

Juice Box

• Dumpling
  • Tier 2
  • Olly-olly-oxen-free!
    • Lemons4winMelons4Suck
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 03:13:41 AM »

I think your signature says it best, but doesn't that create a sort of implicit desire for your perfect mate? If the best kind of person you personally could be with is one who always tries to make themselves better for you, that type of person is more "perfect" than the alternative. That imperfection makes them perfect. The trick, of course, being that for that phrase to work, the word "perfect" is slightly different, but that last word in the phrase--the "makes humans perfect"--heavily implies that there is a personal standard of perfection being met.

um what

Well, I just sort of think that someone who is "perfect for you" in the sense that he/she has all your likes and dislikes, will not be "perfect for you" in that lovey-duvey way.

Has all your likes and dislikes (eg: Perfect for you) =/= Good life partner
Does not have all your likes and dislikes (eg: Not perfect for you) + Tries to be "perfect" for you (even though he/she will never be) = Good life partner

It's hard to understand, I know.
"Imperfection is what makes humans perfect."
- Me

"Imperfection is what makes humans perfect--but imperfection isn't the entire beauty of it. The strive for perfection is."
- Jeol Friend Person

"Olly-olly-oxen-free!"
- Hannah Baker

Thirteen Reasons Why and The Fault in Our Stars. If you've read them, you have my undying respect.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 11:03:58 PM »
My two cents:

No, because souls don't exist. Therefore how can someone "mate" your soul if you don't have one? Ok wordplay aside, it's a spiritual concept and I don't believe in anything metaphysical, paranormal or magical or whatever term you want to put to it. The concept makes no logical sense, and I operate only by logic (except when enraged then I'm just a dumb wild animal, but I digress).

I know Lan is loving the fact that I'm contributing so much to his topic :)
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 04:37:59 AM »
My two cents:

No, because souls don't exist. Therefore how can someone "mate" your soul if you don't have one? Ok wordplay aside, it's a spiritual concept and I don't believe in anything metaphysical, paranormal or magical or whatever term you want to put to it. The concept makes no logical sense, and I operate only by logic (except when enraged then I'm just a dumb wild animal, but I digress).

First off, we all hate you.

Second, I guess in my mind, the concept of a Soul Mate, even if "metaphysical" in nature, kind of corresponds to a set of ins and outs that have an exact parallel. Like, if all of our values were charted into minutia, and there was a way to balance out our success, happiness, productivity, etc. by the charted values of another "product," that product would be an exact compliment to us. So, in logical terms, there's a way to balance out the flaws of our values (and even what we perceive as "flaws" or "values" are susceptible to this balancing). To reach a perfect equilibrium among two products would and could be a perfect pairing, and also could be described in the non-logical term "Soul Mates."

Basically, imagine that you're a team of players in an MMORPG, but you have a severe weakness because you're missing the other teammate. For your type, there's a teammate that has exactly the products needed to roound out your team. Maybe they have the stats that balance your team out, and they're perfect because you need to win every fight flawlessly. Or maybe they have awful stats, but your value is that you want to have fun, so just how they act in battle makes them someone you always choose.

It's a treasure hunt for sure, but the unlikeliness of the treasure being possible to find doesn't immediately indicate that the treasure doesn't exist. To correlate "likeliness" and "existence" in that way would be a way of justifying a lack of success, rather than pursuing the idea rationally.

The idea isn't that we all know what we want. The idea is that there's a concept of a perfect balance between you and someone else that is possible. If there's one person--whether you know how they should be or not--that can make both your and their values at the most optimal level, that idea is basically what a Soul Mate is. And then it comes to the question of whether you think pairings can be optimal, maybe?

Just shooting more stuff out there. XD

Ferdk

• Tier 7
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
My two cents:

First off, we all hate you.

Second, I guess in my mind, the concept of a Soul Mate, even if "metaphysical" in nature, kind of corresponds to a set of ins and outs that have an exact parallel. Like, if all of our values were charted into minutia, and there was a way to balance out our success, happiness, productivity, etc. by the charted values of another "product," that product would be an exact compliment to us. So, in logical terms, there's a way to balance out the flaws of our values (and even what we perceive as "flaws" or "values" are susceptible to this balancing). To reach a perfect equilibrium among two products would and could be a perfect pairing, and also could be described in the non-logical term "Soul Mates."

Basically, imagine that you're a team of players in an MMORPG, but you have a severe weakness because you're missing the other teammate. For your type, there's a teammate that has exactly the products needed to roound out your team. Maybe they have the stats that balance your team out, and they're perfect because you need to win every fight flawlessly. Or maybe they have awful stats, but your value is that you want to have fun, so just how they act in battle makes them someone you always choose.

It's a treasure hunt for sure, but the unlikeliness of the treasure being possible to find doesn't immediately indicate that the treasure doesn't exist. To correlate "likeliness" and "existence" in that way would be a way of justifying a lack of success, rather than pursuing the idea rationally.

The idea isn't that we all know what we want. The idea is that there's a concept of a perfect balance between you and someone else that is possible. If there's one person--whether you know how they should be or not--that can make both your and their values at the most optimal level, that idea is basically what a Soul Mate is. And then it comes to the question of whether you think pairings can be optimal, maybe?

Just shooting more stuff out there. XD

Shut up.

Now about you said. I understand your logic but it's flawed by a simple variable that blews the formula: People aren't static. You may have some core values, sure, but we're not the same person all the time. You may find someone who matches you today, someone who can complement the person you're today, but that doesn't mean you both will evolve to complement each other when you grow out of your current phase.
I'm a different person pretty much everyday, I doubt there's even an infinitecimal possibility of someone who magically changes as much as I do and in a specific way to complement me each day.

And if you dumb down the argument to our "core values", then you're not really talking about a perfect match. You're talking about someone who complements maybe the important things about you, but not all of you. It would be a good match to have around, but it's not a Soul Mate, and if we do go that route of simplifying it to that point, then there's a huge chance that there are thousands of soul mates for each, not the single one. The single soul mate idea is based on a perfect match, which is literally impossible, as far as I can reason it.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 07:10:58 PM »
Now about you said. I understand your logic but it's flawed by a simple variable that blews the formula: People aren't static. You may have some core values, sure, but we're not the same person all the time.

And here's the flaw with that logic. I agree completely that our growth as people is dynamic, but that's also a variable that could be considered in what makes the complimenting product a perfect one. If people aren't static, that means that the people they are with also aren't static. If you have two people who compliment each other perfectly in a static position, and not in a dynamic position, then that wouldn't be a perfect compliment. It'd be "good for right now." In the most hypothetical of Soul Mate ideas, this person will be perfect for you always; not because who they are and who you are will never change, but because you both continuously change in sync. This "dynamic" idea that you bring up would be just another aspect of how a person could be your Soul Mate, not an obstacle to it.

If your favorite food was steak, and you had a self-replicating steak, that'd be your Soul Food... Mate. Bear with me. But then you get tired of steak, grow up, and want a bit of ice cream. Well, for that Soul Food to be truly perfect for you, it would then turn into ice cream. That may be impossible for food, but you said people aren't static, and it follows that you can assume a Soul Mate would have this transformation quality.

Fl0x

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 08:09:24 PM »
For a more visual way of representing this, have this randomly generated graph.

(Also, it's a .jpg!)

Ferdk

• Tier 7
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
And here's the flaw with that logic. I agree completely that our growth as people is dynamic, but that's also a variable that could be considered in what makes the complimenting product a perfect one. If people aren't static, that means that the people they are with also aren't static. If you have two people who compliment each other perfectly in a static position, and not in a dynamic position, then that wouldn't be a perfect compliment. It'd be "good for right now." In the most hypothetical of Soul Mate ideas, this person will be perfect for you always; not because who they are and who you are will never change, but because you both continuously change in sync. This "dynamic" idea that you bring up would be just another aspect of how a person could be your Soul Mate, not an obstacle to it.

I already considered this concept in my post and I said it is virtually impossible for someone like that to exist, even with the billions of people in the world. A perfect dynamic match is nigh impossible to exist given the variables.

Fl0x

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 08:46:47 PM »
...and here's a graph for that. This time, a gif.

Clearly, the chances of random values changing in sync is not very likely, but not impossible.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 08:51:13 PM »
...and here's a graph for that. This time, a gif.

Clearly, the chances of random values changing in sync is not very likely, but not impossible.

We're talking, potentially, over the course of a lifetime. Too many astronomical coincidences need to happen for it to allign perfectly. If something like that was possible I'd be willing to believe in Intelligent Design. And I'm a hardcore atheist, so that should tell you something XD

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »
I think the Steak/Ice Cream graph is clear science! XD

Saying the likelihood of it is astronomical is, again, an aspect of Soul Mate-dom. The concept of a Soul Mate isn't typically grounded in a one-in-a-million logic, it's grounded in a one-in-the-entire-human-population concept. If you can admit it's possible that the person exists, whether they are ever found or not, then that's an essential acknowledgement of Soul Mates. You can call them something else if you like.

I think I'm more figuring this out myself as I try to explain it. XD Like, if I shot a cannon at random in hopes that the cannonball landed on a birthday cake after going through a basketball hoop in the next town over, I might never make it. But the possibility that it could happen can be given a name. In this case, Jecht Shot VII, but maybe Soul Shot also works. So denying the likelihood of the shot and denying the existence of the shot as a possibility aren't the same thing. It'd be like, "Yes, I believe the Soul Shot can be done, but I think it never will be." I don't know what that concludes, but it's interesting enough.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »
Well but then there you have 2 different concepts.

First we were talking if Soul Mates definitely existed, and then you added you'd probably never find them given the circumstances. Now you're switching to whether the concept is mathematically plausible, that's a whole different thing. The first one is you have 1 soul mate per 7 billion people (give or take). The 2nd concept is you have 1 soul mate per the infinite amount of possible matchmakings existing and non-existing-but-mathematically-plausible. It's a whole other level of unlikeliness that I would gladly conclude is as good as non-plausible.

Finding your soulmate between the 7 billion people would be landing the cannonball through a hoop in the next town over. A soulmate even existing would be the equivalent of farting and creating a chemical reaction that accelerates the growth of the sun making it implode and obliterating the solar system while this creates a blackhole that sucks the galaxy itself reshaping the observable universe into the shape of a unicorn in a ballet tutu. It's just as good as impossible.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 10:28:10 PM »
A soulmate even existing would be the equivalent of farting and creating a chemical reaction that accelerates the growth of the sun making it implode and obliterating the solar system while this creates a blackhole that sucks the galaxy itself reshaping the observable universe into the shape of a unicorn in a ballet tutu.

Dumb and Dumber 'There's a Chance'