Author Topic: Do Soul Mates Exist?  (Read 10019 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Do Soul Mates Exist?
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:30:25 AM »
How do you feel about the concept of a Soul Mate? Is there one person on the planet that is perfect for you?

Is there such a thing as "The One," or a True Love? How do you know when you've found them? Or is it all just a game of finding someone who is the best fit?

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: Do Soul Mates Exist?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »
While I think there is a person in the world that is a "soul mate" to another someone I don't really think that being a soul mate transplants to being best couple or lovers or whatever you want to call it. To me being a soul mate is being a person that understands me on a different level that you would expect from a normal relationship of friends or lovers. I would not decline that being a soul mate might have a positive influence on romantic relationship but I don't think it's a necessary factor of being a soul mate.

Is there such a thing as true love? Well since the definition of love can't be completely explained/rationalized I can neither deny or confirm the existence of true love any more than I can confirm or deny existence of cosmic "Dark matter".
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

~

• 放浪者
  • Tier 3
  • Beauty Hunter
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:00:48 AM »
How do you feel about the concept of a Soul Mate? Is there one person on the planet that is perfect for you?

Hell naw bro!

Well, statistically someone is likely to exist that presses all my buttons correctly however, again statistically, it's unlikely that I'll ever meet them. In the meantime I'll probably settle for less because I'd like to share at least a little of my life and experiences with someone cuddly before I die.

I think this approach has a nice practicality to it rather than the jarring biting cynicism of dismissal.

Because cynicism is really sad, even if you only exist on the internet.
- visitor | hunter

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »
Well, no, perfection is not something that is ever meant to be achieved.

Also: People develop and change. Relationships also change once people get known better to each other, or once a certain routine dominates the daily life. And it takes a long time, many years possibly, to really know a person. You can't call someone you just met a "perfect match" because that might be a fleeting first impression.

Don't get me wrong, it is certainly possible that two people get along so well that something like "perfection" doesn't even matter. But it's not in the nature of a human to be satisfied forever, and we always tend to desire things we don't have or know, even things that might arguably not even be good for us.

SinnyVic

• Tier 4
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 03:16:45 PM »
How do you feel about the concept of a Soul Mate?
The concept seems plausible. However, I don't know if we can statistically claim or calculate that a soul mate exists (if we're limiting soulmates to being humans). I don't know if we have enough research done in the field of human genetics to be able to make that claim. Plus, one should also account for variations of humans due to the nature vs nurture argument.

Is there one person on the planet that is perfect for you?
This is impossible. You are looking for someone that only exists in your imagination that you can't even fully conceptualize. Even if you were to find someone with just a hint of that "perfection," you would just be satisficing. Furthermore, to maintain that blurry conceptualized perfection, you will have to remain static (i.e. unchanging) for the rest of your life.

Is there such a thing as "The One," or a True Love?
Perhaps. But, it's far more likely to meet "The Some" that you are most compatible with.

How do you know when you've found them?
You don't have to convince yourself that you like/love them. Additionally, you can also possibly be in sync with said person(s) i.e. a deeper level of understanding between you and said person(s) exists.

Or is it all just a game of finding someone who is the best fit?
Life is but a game. You are the one who chooses what to think and what actions to take. But, sometimes, you have to act on your instinct and let your mind justify it; for better or worse.

P.S. - My soul mates are tacos. Hard shell tacos.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:32:51 PM by SinnyVic »

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 06:34:25 PM »
I think the idea of a soulmate is an outdated, spiritual concept. Besides, it's depressing if true, and it's depressing if it's not true. Allow me to elaborate!

If the concept is true, well that means that everyone in the world is destined to be with one other person. Now, let's say that someone starts dating someone that isn't their soulmate. It's not a perfect couple, but they've given up trying to find the "one", so they get married. BOOM, now they'll never be with their soulmate, and they've both left their soulmates stranded as well. Of course, that's a silly theory, because I think that soulmates are silly.

Now, if the concept isn't true, it's a little depressing, because it means that we actually have to do some work instead of the universe. I'm not saying that there isn't someone out there who's "perfect" for you, but I'm just saying that it isn't predestined. I like the idea of soulmates not being real, because it gives life meaning beyond relationships.

Spoiler: show

~

~

• 放浪者
  • Tier 3
  • Beauty Hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
Perfection is a funny little word. It's extremely subjective but people often treat it like an objective concept. I could define my own idea of a perfect match as "a female human" and BOOM, instantly half the world is a perfect match. Defining perfection too stringently only hurts.
- visitor | hunter

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 10:30:05 PM »
^Which is why I usually avoid using this word.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 12:22:36 AM »
Perfection is a funny little word. It's extremely subjective but people often treat it like an objective concept.

Is there one person on the planet that is perfect for you?

It's totally subjective, but the concept behind the question is that of perfection "for you." That not only implies that everyone has a different "perfect" person (what I would say is the meaning of a Soul Mate if they can be assumed to be real), but that you don't necessarily know what's perfect for you.

I think in the subject of Soul Mates, the word "perfect" is not only acceptable, but necessary.

Oink

• Tier 3
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 04:33:55 PM »
These dayz, the words "soul mates" just churn cheese. I guess there really are couples and friends who do consider each other so, but I get irritated ta death whenever I see some twopenny worth o' romcom tryin' to emulate this ... or worse, tryin' to troll it but fall flat.

Fl0x

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 04:36:52 PM »
Perfect for me?
No.

Perfect for my blade?
Yes. Many.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 11:25:01 PM »
Perfect for me?
No.

Perfect for my blade?
Yes. Many.

Spoken like the true Simon Blackquill.

Spoiler: show

~

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 05:06:53 AM »
Perfect for me?
No.

Perfect for my blade?
Yes. Many.

Spoken like the true Simon Blackquill.
Or a true emo kid.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 07:01:42 AM »
Is it me or someone had overdosed with Psycho sprinkles recently?
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Fl0x

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 09:09:21 AM »
Is it me or someone had overdosed with Psycho sprinkles recently?