Author Topic: Possible hidden identity of Anya. I think I just discovered something big.  (Read 7581 times)

Mallix

• Tier 1
There's one thing about the game's story I noticed from the moment it revealed the blue/yellow rabbit. Is Anya, in fact, the name of the child Johnny and River were supposed to have? Perhaps there was a miscarriage?

The moon of the rabbit in the sky was the belly. A round belly = pregnant. River = yellow, Johnny = blue. Anya was a lighthouse. Lighthouses are stars. Stars can represent the unborn children that can see one another, but cannot communicate because of distance. This would explain why River was so adamant about finishing the house for "Anya". This also gives "meeting at the moon" a bigger meaning. It can represent a complete reunion of their whole family. Sad. I know.

The rabbit also had a link to roadkill. Something dead. This is why I believed it to be a miscarriage. Think about it. Their whole entire life, Johnny and River never had kids. Why is that?

What do you guys think?

A Fat Kid

Wow, thats quite a bit further than the average Joe would go  O_O

I don't know, really. A lot of metaphorical whatsits. I ended up buying the interpretation that the lighthouses were a metaphor for those suffering from Asperger's. They want a connection with other people, but are unable to communicate it. Just like how the stars want to talk to each other, but are too far apart to hear what the others are saying.

River's wish of befriending a lighthouse then represents her inner desire of someone befriending her... Which Johnny provided in the end. Quite a nice chain. She fulfilled her promise to Anya, and Johnny fulfilled her wish for herself.

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
If something this tragic took place in their past, wouldn't we see it in Johnny's memories?

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
  • Current Mood: happy happy
If something this tragic took place in their past, wouldn't we see it in Johnny's memories?

Heavy repression, maybe? Or River didn't tell him, so he was ignorant to it?
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.

Kyo

• no title at all
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: evil evil
Heavy repression, maybe?
I don't know. Even beta blockers weren't enough to hide his memories from the doctors.

Or River didn't tell him, so he was ignorant to it?
I'm not an expert, but wouldn't it leave River in a condition serious enough for her to be hospitalized or something?

Either way, everyone's free to interpret stuff unexplained in the story to their liking. Still, I personally wouldn't read too much into this.

Sun

• Tier 6
  • Person of personness
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Yes and no, I think.
A Fat Kid's interpretation is similar to what Reives has said to this on Steam before (4th post here http://steamcommunity.com/app/206440/discussions/0/846962626916980921/). According to that, Anya is both a child substitute and as a lighthouse a symbol for how River experiences herself in regard to other people - there are all those things she cannot communicate, she can only "shine her light". Whether River lost a child due to miscarriage or they just never had children ... it's been a long time since I've played the game. Did the doctor or Johnny say something about infertility? Can't remember. At least I wouldn't interpret the moon rabbit to mean Johnny and River and pregnant River. Because at the time when the scene happens, the two are still children who have only just gotten to know each other. I don't think River would know at that point what the future holds - she could not have chosen a symbol for a loss in a relationship when both these things hadn't happened yet.
Of course you can always argue that it was not the character who chose this as a symbol for something she feels, but the author. Well, at least there is nothing like that in the explanation linked ...

Monochrome

• Tier 2
Re: Possible hidden identity of Anya. I think I just discovered something big.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »
This is very interesting, and could be quite possible although I don't think there would be any more hidden meaning in the story that hasn't already been concluded.
As for the lighthouses thing, that metaphor scars me every time I play it. To me, it spoke more about my trouble communicating than I could put into words. River felt so isolated, being a person with a personality and meaning in her life. she couldn't speak up because of a stupid disorder that caused her to be looked down upon. I empathize with her because I am also thought of as this person that just isn't there. But I am here, and I shine my light out to the other lighthouses.
Once again, interesting theory, though.

Ledgem

• Tier 1
When I encountered the scene with River saying "let's name it Anya," my initial thought was either that there had been a miscarriage or that River was saying that she didn't want to have children.  However, having just reached the ending, I have a different view on what the rabbits meant.

Bear in mind that River is noted to have exceptional memory recall ("idiot savant" capabilities related to being on the autism spectrum).  River and Johnny first met as children, and they stated that if they ever got lost and couldn't find one another that they would meet on the moon.  Due to Johnny's traumatic childhood experience of losing his twin brother (an event that occurred after meeting River), he was given medications that caused some memory loss.  Thus, Johnny felt that he was meeting River for the first time when he asked her out in their teenage years.

River began to obsessively make origami rabbits after Johnny gave his backstory on his perceived "first meeting" with River in high school.  It is likely that this was distressing to River not because she was offended that Johnny had been goaded into asking her out, nor that Johnny was seeking out something in her, but because Johnny didn't remember meeting her as a child.  That encounter had clearly been very important to her, as evidenced by the fact that she kept the plush platypus received from that childhood encounter up until the end of her life.  If you want to get into symbolism, the roadkill rabbit could represent the fact that the two had reunited, and yet were still so far apart (because Johnny didn't remember what River did, even though it was so important to her).  River likely made the rabbits and continued to ask Johnny what he saw in an effort to restore his memory; the final, multi-colored rabbit was as close as she could come to recreating the scene that they had connected over (the yellow being the moon, and the blue being the night sky).

As for the lighthouse, I agree with the interpretation that it's a representation of River's desire to connect with others.  By naming and connecting with an inanimate object that she identified with ('lighthouses shine their lights at each other, but they're too far apart to hear each other') she brought comfort to herself.  I don't think it goes much beyond that.